Question on getting retail version of Steamworks game

If I were to get a game like Skyrim through retail and activate/register it through Steam, will I be able to download the game through the Steam service in the future, or do I have to use the physical copies for install?

So, I bought Skyrim at the local store. Started the install from the DVD, and it downloaded the entire game from Steam, instead of using the DVDs. So, I would say that yes, you should always be able to get if from Steam.

yes once you activate the key through steam and it is on your account you can re-download the game whenever you need to.

yes once you activate the key through steam and it is on your account you can re-download the game whenever you need to.

Yep. You can also read about how to back-up your steam games here. This saves you from having do downoad/use disc to install them all over again. I prefer the alternative back-up method. It's usually much quicker to copy over the installed files.

Uhm, that's interesting: my old rusty copy of Half-Life 2 is still in my parents' garage, so I would be practical to download the game from steam instead of ravaging through things I don't want to put my hands into right now...