Question on getting retail version of Steamworks game

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:17

If I were to get a game like Skyrim through retail and activate/register it through Steam, will I be able to download the game through the Steam service in the future, or do I have to use the physical copies for install?

#2 Travelar

Travelar

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:21

So, I bought Skyrim at the local store. Started the install from the DVD, and it downloaded the entire game from Steam, instead of using the DVDs. So, I would say that yes, you should always be able to get if from Steam.

#3 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:24

yes once you activate the key through steam and it is on your account you can re-download the game whenever you need to.

#4 compl3x

compl3x

One day until retirement

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:58

yes once you activate the key through steam and it is on your account you can re-download the game whenever you need to.

Yep. You can also read about how to back-up your steam games here. This saves you from having do downoad/use disc to install them all over again. I prefer the alternative back-up method. It's usually much quicker to copy over the installed files.

#5 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:44

Uhm, that's interesting: my old rusty copy of Half-Life 2 is still in my parents' garage, so I would be practical to download the game from steam instead of ravaging through things I don't want to put my hands into right now...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!