Netorking Woes

Hello, I am new here but I would appreciate it if some of you could help me out. I am running an in home network with a Linksys 4-port router hooked up to a cable modem. I have two pc on the network, a machine running win 2k pro and another running win xp pro. I am having some trouble with the 2k machine. Both pc's can see each other over the network but the 2k machine can't get outside of the network. Instant messenger works occasionally but ie never works. The xp machine can see the 2k machine and can access shared folders on the 2k machine, but the 2k machine seems to be ahving a lot of trouble seeing the xp machine and can't access it's shared folders. the 2k machine cannot ping out and cannot ping the xp machine. Both machines work properly when hooked directly to the cable modem but the 2k machine is having trouble with the router.

I didn't have any problems till about two weeks ago, when i came home from break, but before that time it worked perfectly.

Also, another problem has developed, this one with my XP machine. It has started randomly restarting itself and when you request the properties for My Computer and error message appears saying "framedyn.dll cannot be found. Try reinstalling it." the the computer properties appear. I have all of the latest updates for both machines.

If someone could shed some light on any of these problems, it would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Could be so many things.

For both PC's to 'see' each other properly, they should both be part of the same workgroup. They can still see each other as different workgroups, but it all works better if they are in the same workgroup.

Networking problems. TCP/IP uses networks and hosts. By definition every device that has an assigned IP address is a host. The netmask determines the network. For example, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 the network would be whatever xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy the dotted x's all represent. (The x's could be 1-254 and represent the IP hosts.) All of your PC's should have the same IP network address (the x's) and netmask.

For example:

PCXP

address 192.168.0.55

netmask 255.255.255.0

PC2000

address 192.168.0.58

netmask 255.255.255.0

The default gateway on both PC's should be the IP address of the Linksys WAN connection. Since the XP PC can get to the internet, from the CMD prompt, type ipconfig /all and use the info you see to modify the 2000 PC settings.

To install any dll file, you can find it on the CD and copy it/expand it in the dll directory.