Just got a Wii U, however....

Hey folks :)

Little bit of background story here. After owning an original Xbox and a PS2, I decided the 360 and PS3 were priced way too high for my liking so I just didn't bother with them. The original Wii didn't really offer what I was looking for in a console. Since Kinect was released, I've been leaning very heavily to the 360 and have had numerous conversations with my other half with regards to that effect.

Despite having been extremely vocal about my wanting an Xbox 360, he came home today with a Wii U....*crickets* His reason, "It looked like it would be fun!" *crickets* Lol

Anyway, obviously this gives us the opportunity to go and exchange for the 360. Before I go out and do that, I wanted to pose a question. It's not an easy one to answer obviously due to personal preferences and what not, but I still wanted to get some opinions.

Why should I keep the Wii U? :)

My condolences..

The truth is right now there isn't. The 3rd party support is not as high as it was with the Wii and the developer tools out for the Wii U are underhanded right now. I would buy a Wii U in like 3-4 years when there's a price cut with actual games you would want to play.

The 360 and or PS3 have established libraries, the 360 having great online media services. If you like the games on another platform more than the Wii U, I suggest you return it and get something you really want.

I learned my lesson to never keep a console hoping some good games would come down the line. The Wii had like 3-4 games I was ever interested in and it wasn't worth the $550 I paid during launch.

• Like 2

It's a weak system in general, but it has 2GB of RAM compared to the 360s 512 megs.

I don't know if it'll offset the problem, but I'd consider it a step up from the 360/PS3.

The game library is probably going to suck for a while.

On another note, Kinect was fun but pretty disappointing overall.

Just get "New Super Mario Bros. U" - it's so worth it, trust me.

It's a weak system in general, but it has 2GB of RAM compared to the 360s 512 megs.

I don't know if it'll offset the problem, but I'd consider it a step up from the 360/PS3.

I've used Kinect and have seriously almost bought a 360+Kinect on a whim multiple times now. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money as I'm mostly a PC gamer. However with my other half around now, we like to spend a lot of time together in front of the TV and it makes more sense than when I was alone. That being said, because I'm a PC gamer, I do definitely take stock in the internal hardware. If the only difference is the amount of RAM, that actually speaks volumes about where Nintendo is at right now and it disappoints me further.

Just get "New Super Mario Bros. U" - it's so worth it, trust me.

Haha! I'm sure it is. I'm a huge Mario fan. However, I don't think that's enough to make me keep the Wii U.

Thanks to everyone so far for your answers :)

Wii U will be just like the Wii.. a very few good games, and load and loads of crap that would make even casual gamers cry..

Get a 360, or a PS3.. both have a lot of good games.. if you wanna do multiplayer, then I'd go PS3, cause you don't need to pay a monthly fee for it.. but beyond that, they are both great systems.

Xbox games are all usually advalible on PC and a good gaming rig will totally run circles around xbox graphics.

Playstation has alot of good RPGs...

the only reason to buy a Nintendo is if u have lil kids who are not ready for gorry violence or if u like to play ZELDA!!! lol

The amount of misinformation in this thread is astounding...

As far as the OP's question, I would advise you to get the Xbox 360 + Kinect. The game library is larger and more diverse at the moment. In the future, the Wii U will be a good contender, especially in comparison to next-gen systems from Sony and Microsoft, but it's not right now. After all, it launched less than a week ago.

The amount of misinformation in this thread is astounding...

Care to elaborate? Which information was incorrect? :)

Hey folks :)

Little bit of background story here. After owning an original Xbox and a PS2, I decided the 360 and PS3 were priced way too high for my liking so I just didn't bother with them. The original Wii didn't really offer what I was looking for in a console. Since Kinect was released, I've been leaning very heavily to the 360 and have had numerous conversations with my other half with regards to that effect.

Despite having been extremely vocal about my wanting an Xbox 360, he came home today with a Wii U....*crickets* His reason, "It looked like it would be fun!" *crickets* Lol

Anyway, obviously this gives us the opportunity to go and exchange for the 360. Before I go out and do that, I wanted to pose a question. It's not an easy one to answer obviously due to personal preferences and what not, but I still wanted to get some opinions.

You shouldn't. We have a whole bunch of people that are having hard locks with the system and the hardware is worse off spec wise than the 360.

See here for the hard lock issue.... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500440

Imho Wii U, is much more than game console mostly due to included tablet. If you are looking for diversity of uses in Your gmaing console then only Wii U so far will do the job. Graphics chip in Wii U, for the console is quite powerful, and will contend with the next gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony, so the developers will not have an aversion like they had it for Wii. The question is are You patient enough to wait for the games library to grow for Wii U.

Care to elaborate? Which information was incorrect? :)

The Wii U is better than modern consoles as far as specs are concerned. I'm not going into details (because details are sparse), but the only gotcha as far as hardware is may be the processor in comparison to the rest. Most of the crap spewed by those who haven't even touched a Wii U will be "Nintendo sucks" and "Wii U sucks" because "soandso gaming site/dev said it!"

I'm not interested in correcting people, so that's all there is to it.

• Like 1

1 Gigabyte is used for games, the other is used for the OS. So, it's only 512 megs more and the CPU is not as good as the Xbox 360.

The tablet on the wii u is light and feels cheap and the battery life only lasts 3 hours and it's also confusing because you have to look at the tablet sometimes and the TV at other times.

Many, many, many people are having hard locks (in other words it freezes and you have to pull the power plug), the OS is slow.

The Wii U is better than modern consoles as far as specs are concerned. I'm not going into details (because details are sparse), but the only gotcha as far as hardware is may be the processor in comparison to the rest. Most of the crap spewed by those who haven't even touched a Wii U will be "Nintendo sucks" and "Wii U sucks" because "soandso gaming site/dev said it!"

I'm not interested in correcting people, so that's all there is to it.

I can definitely appreciate not wanting to correct people, as it can become tedious very quickly. However, I haven't really seen many "Nintendo sucks" posts here thus far. I appreciate your advice but I have to say, you're not really making any sense. You said there's a lot of misinformation in this thread (which isn't even that big), but aren't willing to say what? *confused*

Imho Wii U, is much more than game console mostly due to included tablet. If you are looking for diversity of uses in Your gmaing console then only Wii U so far will do the job. Graphics chip in Wii U, for the console is quite powerful, and will contend with the next gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony, so the developers will not have an aversion like they had it for Wii. The question is are You patient enough to wait for the games library to grow for Wii U.

This is an Xbox Durango ALPHA kit and it has a lot higher specs...

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php/301417-What%C2%92s-inside-Durango%C2%92s-Alpha-kit?p=5948792#post5948792

and

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=148153

12 Gigs of ram on the kit means at least 8 Gigabytes on the console (probably 6 Gigabytes for games and 2 for other things). Wii U has only 1 available for games. Ram kind of matters.

Also the CPU is supposed to be better (8-16 cores depending on sources). The Video card chip will also be a lot better. Because it's a x64 processor that means that it is x86 compatible.

It's not really a contest. The Wii U has the weakest hardware and in most cases it's not as good as the Xbox 360, the GPU is slightly better (Direct X 10.1 compared to Direct X 9 on Xbox, however that goes away pretty quickly because Nintendo can only use OpenGL which is at 3.3, so the OpenGL is even weak.

1 Gigabyte is used for games, the other is used for the OS. So, it's only 512 megs more and the CPU is not as good as the Xbox 360.

Serious...ly...hmm.

I didn't know that.

Skipped the Wii and I guess I'll skip the Wii U as well.

Xbox games are all usually advalible on PC and a good gaming rig will totally run circles around xbox graphics.

Playstation has alot of good RPGs...

the only reason to buy a Nintendo is if u have lil kids who are not ready for gorry violence or if u like to play ZELDA!!! lol

The thread is about the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 I dont know where you are getting this "all games are usually on the xbox" and (this one made me laugh) "playstation has alot of good RPGs"

My advice? If there is no homebrew community out, the console isnt worth it. Its one of the reasons why the 360 has the edge over the PS3.

Id get the 360. Right anything that can be done with the Wii (the normal Wii; the Wii U just has tablet, which like you said: cricket) can basically be done with the Kinect (sorry, dildo controller)

Plus you can find WAY better prices and bundles :) Im constantly on the same boat as you: Get a 360+Kinect or not....The problem is that I dont game much so.

Note, you have to have min of 6' in front of the xbox kinnect with no major furniture in the way.

With they way my living room is (rectangle w/ tv in the center of the long part) and the coach a few feet from the wall... xbox Kinnect doesn't do me any good. The end's of the rectangle have the windows or entrance way to dinning room.

@pes2013 - playstation has a lot of good rpg's (same reaction). PS2 was king of rpg's... PS3 not so much.

Note, you have to have min of 6' in front of the xbox kinnect with no major furniture in the way.

With they way my living room is (rectangle w/ tv in the center of the long part) and the coach a few feet from the wall... xbox Kinnect doesn't do me any good. The end's of the rectangle have the windows or entrance way to dinning room.

Actually you can shrink this with the Nyko Zoom...which won a lot of awards iirc.

never tried it myself of course

Serious...ly...hmm.

I didn't know that.

Skipped the Wii and I guess I'll skip the Wii U as well.

Well, it's up to you. Nintendo is launching a year early and their specs are not so great because they have to make an accommodation for the tablet. So, yes just on gaming memory alone they will be crushed.

1 Gigabyte to 6 (lets just even make it fair, 4 gigabytes for gaming) and that still is a big enough difference to have a huge graphical impact alone. Add in a superior CPU, GPU and a more modern graphics API and the gains only get higher and then the fact that Microsoft and Sony are going AMD x86 (x64 really), so development will be easier in a way. Development will cost more though because of higher quality art assets.

As the specs show the Xbox development kits currently have 12 Gigabytes, but that actually will not make it through to consoles, 8 will make it through and out of that 8 only 6 will probably be used for actual gaming and as I said above we can even go down to 4 gigabytes for gaming and it would still make a difference against the Wii U.

This is what we know at the moment... If you want to keep track of progress you can go to www.beyond3d.com and register in their forums and they have industry insiders there and they also get information that is some what technical in nature.

Also, FYI there is a .pdf floating around that is legit and was leaked from Microsoft sometime ago (like September 2010) and listed all the details about the next xbox. However, I do have the .PDF, but I don't know if it's legal to share it or not (so, I won't share it). Microsoft had them take it down (but I got a copy of it before they did), now this pdf is from September 2010 (I got it around 6 months ago) and lots of things have changed since then I am sure. However, they talk about Kinect 2.0 and a lot of other stuff that I can't discuss. If they do half of the stuff they want to do on that .pdf, the future of consoles is going to be interesting.

Remember not to confuse the Microsoft Xbox version of Roku/Apple TV device as the next generation Xbox. That is also being worked on in the Xbox division. It's just a cheaper TV device. It's from the Xbox group, but it is not the next generation Xbox, it uses an ARM chip and most likely be a TV version of Windows RT.

As for Sony, they are supposed to have their Beta release of their Development kit (for PS4, in Japan it will not be called the PS4 because 4 means shi which is death in Japanese) out by January of 2013, the final release of the dev kit will be released summer 2013. However, there has been some discussions on not including a discrete GPU, but using the GPU inside of the CPU chip., It would make it cheaper if they did that, but it's supposed to be heavily modified, so that is not a bad thing if they put in a better GPU proper. There have been other reports via magazine, but I won't include them because they look like rumors all over the Internet and nothing close to real.

I don't think you should consider specs tbh because you bought a console not for specs but for games. I also understand that both of them are interrelated but when PS3 or Xbox 360 were releasing, how many of you even bothered with specs then? Point is that a console might have lower specs but it doesn't matter a lot as long as the developer has utilized each of the specs of the console properly to deliver a good game.

That said, I think you should get rid of Wii U since you clearly don't like it. Its best to either pick PS3 or Xbox 360 depending on what games you like and what exclusives do each platform offer which interests you. Stick with a console only if you are waiting for a particular game and not because possibly 'some future games' might come out which might interest you.