Just got a Wii U, however....

Haha! I'm sure it is. I'm a huge Mario fan. However, I don't think that's enough to make me keep the Wii U.

;) Also, you can play old Wii games (like "New Super Mario Bros. Wii") on the Wii U - as well as download and play pre-Wii games on the virtual console.

I don't think you should consider specs tbh because you bought a console not for specs but for games. I also understand that both of them are interrelated but when PS3 or Xbox 360 were releasing, how many of you even bothered with specs then? Point is that a console might have lower specs but it doesn't matter a lot as long as the developer has utilized each of the specs of the console properly to deliver a good game.

That said, I think you should get rid of Wii U since you clearly don't like it. Its best to either pick PS3 or Xbox 360 depending on what games you like and what exclusives do each platform offer which interests you. Stick with a console only if you are waiting for a particular game and not because possibly 'some future games' might come out which might interest you.

Definitely solid advice. However, being a PC enthusiast (read: absolute nerd), the specs DO matter to me. I am now possibly considering a PS3 though, which is starting to make this really difficult LOL

Definitely solid advice. However, being a PC enthusiast (read: absolute nerd), the specs DO matter to me. I am now possibly considering a PS3 though, which is starting to make this really difficult LOL

One last piece of advice to consider since you are a PC nerd. 2013 isn't 100 percent confirmed, but the next Xbox according to that .pdf file did say that their target was 2013 (Probably November), so instead of buying something now maybe you might want to save that money for next generation. I know it's a year from now, but in the long run you can save towards the next generation.

We might be able to get some information on E3 2013 or before. I would sell my Xbox 360 right now if my wife wasn't on it so often.

One last piece of advice to consider since you are a PC nerd. 2013 isn't 100 percent confirmed, but the next Xbox according to that .pdf file did say that their target was 2013 (Probably November), so instead of buying something now maybe you might want to save that money for next generation. I know it's a year from now, but in the long run you can save towards the next generation.

We might be able to get some information on E3 2013 or before. I would sell my Xbox 360 right now if my wife wasn't on it so often.

If this opportunity hadn't arisen, this is exactly what I would have done. However, the Wii U has been bought which has opened the gateway :shifty: I can't wait anymore Lol

This thread is full of incorrect info.

The 360 has 480mb of memory for games (32mb of the 512mb is for the O.S). Wii U has 2gb of memory, 1gb is used by O.S, 1gb by games. The Wii U has a much newer gpu from 2008, the 360 came out in 2005. It supports shader model 4.0 so it supports lots of nice new effects that the 360/ps3 cannot do. The performance will be significantly better when game engine developers make full use of the new gpu. The cpu clock speed is a little lower than the 360 but apparently the gpu has opencl 1.1 support which means the gpu can do some of the cpu tasks extremely quickly. In other words the graphics will be far better on the wii u over the coming years than the 360 and ps3. Currently the graphics for most games are equal or slightly better. The 360 and ps3 had poor graphics when their games first came out not using all the cpu cores etc so things will get even better with the wii u. Also the gamepad looks great, games like zombie u allow the map to shown on the screen and weapons to choose etc. There will be lots of highly innovate uses of it. If i was buying a new console i'd definitely choose the wii u.

The Wii U also has 32mb Edram, the 360 only has 10mb. 360's 512mb is gddr3 700mhz, the wii u has 2gb ddr3 1600mhz.

There are so many great games available on the current gen consoles, and you can pick them up really cheap, second hand. (the games and the console itself).

There will be some classics on the WiiU in the future, I have no doubt in my mind about that (though they may be few and far between). If you can return it for a full refund, then I would consider that, but you can get a 360 so cheap these days, that I don't see any reason you couldn't have both.

• Like 1

This thread is full of incorrect info.

The 360 has 256mb of memory for games. Wii U has 2gb of memory, 1gb is used by O.S, 1gb by games. The Wii U has a much newer gpu from 2008, the 360 came out in 2005. It supports shader model 4.0 so it supports lots of nice new effects that the 360/ps3 cannot do. The performance will be significantly better only game engine developers make full use of the new gpu. The cpu clock speed is a little lower than the 360 but apparently the cpu has opencl 1.1 support which means the gpu can do some of the cpu tasks extremely quickly. In other words the graphics will be far better on the wii u over the coming years than the 360 and ps3. Currently the graphics for most games are equal or slightly better. The 360 and ps3 had poor graphics when their games first came out not using all the cpu cores etc so things will get even better with the wii u.

The 360 has 512mb of ram.

Source: http://hardware.team...ecifications/p1

Out of that only 32 megs is used for the OS and the OS is not loaded at the time of the game is loaded. If you notice it will come up and get out of game when you press the Xbox button.

Wii has 2 Gigs of ram, but only 1 gig is for gaming, the other is for the OS and Shader Model 4.0 is used mainly in Direct3D which is a part of DirectX from Microsoft, and Nintendo's machine does not support Direct X, but only OpenGL 3.3, but yes there are more shader abilities compared to GameCube/Wii, I agree with that. However, it is still limited in speed and functionality.

I don't see third party developers really focused on the Wii U all that much, because there will be a big difference between OpenGL 3.3 and OpenGL 4.2 and Direct3D 11.1 alone and developers will have two platforms which is the PS4 and Xbox Next that are using a very similar CPU which is an AMD x86 chipset as well as graphics processors and also memory.

Here is a developer that has the latest info talking about the CPU on the Wii U.

http://www.digitaltr...rible-and-slow/

The problem with talking specs of the Wii/WiiU is that developers don't care.

Apart from a handful of games, either made by Nintendo themselves, or dancing, developers build for the 360/PS3 then port away.. so even if the WiiU had amazing hardware, no one is gonna take advantage of it.

Apart from a handful of games, either made by Nintendo themselves, or dancing, developers build for the 360/PS3 then port away.. so even if the WiiU had amazing hardware, no one is gonna take advantage of it.

Plenty of devs are building proper PC versions now, so although the games might be built around the 360/PS3s capabilities they can certainly be enhanced for the Wii U.

If you can only own one console, no doubt the 360 is what I would say.

Here is why (and I own a WiiU now as well, and am so far really digging it).

I have 3 pretty simple reasons...

• The 360 has a HUGE library of games to choose from.
  • For certain games on the WiiU, I think one really would have to pick up a Pro Controller to fully enjoy them. For example Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 & Assassins Creed 3. While you can no doubt play them using the WiiU tablet, a pro controller will make them more like their 360 & PS3 counterparts.
    So that is an extra $50 you'd have to spend on a controller.
  • No one is sure yet just how much 3rd party support the WiiU will wind up getting. I imagine it is going to be plenty, but it is also going to be a underpowered console once the new Xbox and PS4 or whatever they will be calling it come out.

Truth is the WiiU is for 3 types of people in my opinion.

• Families that have already established themselves as a Wii family (And there are plenty out there)
  • People such as myself who are a bit older, but still consider gaming to be their main hobby, and luckily make a good living. So I can own all of the consoles and not have to even worry about the power of the WiiU, etc., I can just enjoy it for what it is
  • Die Hard Nintendo Fans

So I really do believe the 360 provides more solid gaming entertainment right out of the box.

Finally, I would personally recommend you do not pick up Kinect unless you like dancing games. All of the other implementations of it are either not that good (Star Wars & Fable) or only add to the gameplay experience, and do not necessarily enhance it (Madden & Mass Effect). Other than the dancing games, there are only a handful of good games that use Kinect, so I personally say spend the money you might have put towards Kinect towards other games.

Well if you are a PC gamer i would say the 360 might not be the best choice. I had two 360s and when the 2nd one did break i decided to sell it after repair. I really loved my original XBox and Halo/Halo 2 but the Halo serie got old and about everything else on 360 is avalaible on PC and i really really don't like GOW serie.

I think since you want something you and you other half will enjoy (cause alone you prefer PC) it's important to consider what he likes to play. PS3 has some really unique games like Little Big Planet, The Unfinished Swan and Journey. The Wii U will surely has unique titles too.

Better off getting a good gaming PC, consoles can't compete.

PC's are great, yes, but as I'm finding out now, you can't play local multiplayer which is a bummer. Wii U's (and 360's and PS3's) are all great for local multiplayer which I am missing quite a lot on games like Black Ops 2 and others on PC. If you're looking to play with friends in one place then consoles are the way to go.

Xbox 360 has Halo 4.

I thought he was looking for reasons why he should ditch the Wii U, not reasons he should avoid a 360.

Better off getting a good gaming PC, consoles can't compete.

All of the current consoles cost less than you would spend on the GPU alone on a PC, that's ignoring all the platform exclusive titles that have never and will never be on PC.

PC gets ports from console versions of games that are very rarely optimised for PC with higher res textures, etc..

I've got an original Wii for Christmas.

Really like the Wii for playing with family/friends in person.

Xbox 360 is great for playing alone (or over Xbox Live).

What sort of games do you like? A lot of games are available on most platforms, but each platform has their own exclusives. I love all of the Halo games, so had to get an Xbox!

If you have the WiiU right now, I'd say stick with it. Against what Larry said above, playing with just the gamepad over the pro controller is plenty fine (I actually prefer it from my brief time), but that's not my reason.

1 - Something to keep in mind if you game with a friend / partner a lot: You'll probably enjoy local multiplayer a lot more with the Wii U - especially with the machines asynchronous multiplayer capabilities which others can't match, which almost seems tailor made for two people too enjoy. And then you can still match the normal multiplayer experiences of the other consoles.

2 - The Wii U is going to have continuous support going forward for the next few years, the 360 is probably going to walk off a cliff in the next 1-2.

3 - Most of the big multi-platform games will be making their way to the WiiU now (and combined with forward running support, it's a better option).

4 - I'm sure some people like the convenience of on-gamepad play, which again is daftly useful in a house with more than one person (in games that support it).

Realistically, the only reason to go with a 360 is if you really want to play it's back catalouge of titles. As a gaming mahcine, you'll probably get more out of the WiiU going forward, and only about 12-18 months going forward for the 360.

Hey guys :)

Thanks a ton for the advice. I appreciate everyone's opinion. I'm going to throw a few wrenches in these gears here though.

Did a bit more research and now I'm seriously having issues deciding. Here is where I'm at right now:

- Looking at some of the unique games for the Wii U has me curious.

- PS3 has a buttload of games I would love to play (mainly exclusives), however the other half probably won't like them. He's not a gamer really, so it may not appeal as much to him.

- We love dancing games and aside from the Wii/Wii U, the 360 is the next best option (I would put the 360 above the Wii/Wii U because I like Kinect better).

- The PS3 Move and Wii U both require a silly wand in your hand which really annoys me.

- I have a few family members that own PS3's.

- I love all of the things the 360 can do.

My head is going to explode Lol. I wish he had just bought the 360 like I wanted so I didn't have to dive so deeply into which flippin' console I want!

A family member got a kinect for my xbox earlier and we've been on it all day really! Was pretty shocked but it was actually very fun, no controllers to hold, very good response times and it's very darn accurate, very impressed with it!

There's a lot of great games out for xbox 360 and most original xbox games work on it too, plus they're cheap! If I was you, I'd trade in the wii u for a 360 :)

There is no point comparing a week old console to a 6 year old console. Of course the PS3 and 360 are going to have ginormous back catalogues compared to the newcomer.

Everyone knows that 1st party support is where the WiiU will excel at.

And thats the reason I will be getting a WiiU. The prospect of maybe finally getting a HD Zelda.... EPIC WIN ;)

There is no point comparing a week old console to a 6 year old console. Of course the PS3 and 360 are going to have ginormous back catalogues compared to the newcomer.

And thats the reason I will be getting a WiiU. The prospect of maybe finally getting a HD Zelda.... EPIC WIN ;)

Had the Wii U not been a upgrade to basically bring it up to par with 6 year old consoles, you would have a point. The Wii U may have some nice hardware in it, but realistically all it does is bring it in line with the other 2. Some great things might be in store for the Wii U, but as of right now it's not really shining. Looking at reviews and side by side comparisons to 6 year old consoles show Nintendo have really only closed the gap. They haven't really gone above and beyond have they? Their hardware is capable of more, yes but they haven't utilized it at all to be honest. I don't know...I'm having issues deciding Lol

I don't think this is the case if the Wii U had good hardware and had the right target market for their games.

If all you wanted was an HD Zelda you could use Dophin for the PC and save you all kinds of money.

Had the Wii U not been a upgrade to basically bring it up to par with 6 year old consoles, you would have a point. The Wii U may have some nice hardware in it, but realistically all it does is bring it in line with the other 2. Some great things might be in store for the Wii U, but as of right now it's not really shining. Looking at reviews and side by side comparisons to 6 year old consoles show Nintendo have really only closed the gap. They haven't really gone above and beyond have they? Their hardware is capable of more, yes but they haven't utilized it at all to be honest. I don't know...I'm having issues deciding Lol

No one's utilised it yet because no one's had enough time with a stable dev kit to do it yet :p In regards to above and beyond... they've tried to do that by innovating in how games are played in the home. Since their last two attempts at raw power failed them, and there are two other companies out there charging down the raw power route, it's nice to have Nintendo there. They've always been ahead of curve in a lot of respects (al most too early most times) - showing what's possible and then others iterating on that whilst they do something else.

On the plus side, you do know the games will start to look a lot better going forward, and if the Wii was anything to go by, there'll be a damn lot of quirky, exclusive titles. What's really enticing about the Xbox is the media capabilities, (which is probably what I use my Kinect the most for right now :p), but I suppose Nintendo TVii does take a different, if slightly less technologically advanced route to solving the same problem.

I suppose it really relies on how much you care about future support. Nintendo consoles are always going to have very unique exclusives (and not just Nintendo titles), and it offers every control scheme outside of Kinect. Gamepad, motion, pointer, touch, camera, etc. But if you're fine with the lack of support for the other two coming in the next 18 months and would rather enjoy the large and occasionally great back catalogues of the other two, jump at them. Personally I'd say stick with the Wii U, pick up some couple of fun multiplayer titles your partner will enjoy, and then pick up the successor's to one of the other two next Christmas season.

If all you wanted was an HD Zelda you could use Dophin for the PC and save you all kinds of money.

If you could afford a PC powerful to actually run a game like Skyward Sword at 1080p at a decent framerate... which isn't cheap :p