#16 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 24 November 2012 - 14:00

Darkside will go away?
Da fuq is this?

Seriously guys, this is just insane.

Also, I couldn't care less about a feature discrepancy.

I love Darkside, and yes, Neowin is one of my most frequented websites.
I love how it's easier on the eyes and well... I could invest a lot more time into this post, but I think you won't not drop it either way, so why even bother.

Glassed Silver:mac

#17 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 14:13

So neowin must be the only website you goto then :p great for us! Shame those other sites have black text on white bgs.

notsureifserious.BMP

I browse with assistive tools.

Here's an example of black-on-white copypasta.

#18 OP Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 November 2012 - 14:38

I think that you need to run a database query to see how many people actually use Darkside and compare that to other non-default themes. Dropping Darkside has got to be one of the dumbest ideas that this forum has ever had. There's going to be a lot of backlash if Darkside is taken away for more than a couple of weeks during transition. I don't think that subscribers will be too happy either.

#19 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 November 2012 - 14:50

So neowin must be the only website you goto then :p great for us! Shame those other sites have black text on white bgs.

Firefall forums, Steam forums, Ubisoft forums, Path of Exile forums, every single Nexus website (skyrimnexis, fallout3nexus, newvegasnexus, etc) and many more places use dark themes by default. Get with the times, Neowin is not the only site that has a dark theme available, and many of them use it as their default theme.

EDIT: Forgot about the runicgames forums, and all of the above make up a majority of the tabs I keep open. If Neowin removes darkside, it will be the odd man out being one of the only sides I visit that doesn't have a dark theme.

I think that you need to run a database query to see how many people actually use Darkside and compare that to other non-default themes. Dropping Darkside has got to be one of the dumbest ideas that this forum has ever had. There's going to be a lot of backlash if Darkside is taken away for more than a couple of weeks during transition. I don't think that subscribers will be too happy either.

I would gladly subscribe if I could, and I plan to some day, but if darkside is removed (and not replaced with another dark theme) I probably won't visit neowin enough to warrant a subscription.

#20 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 November 2012 - 14:54

Hmm a lot of you seem to forget that you browsed Neowin for years without it having a dark theme. :huh: Or was there one? I don't remember.

#21 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

Posted 24 November 2012 - 15:02

Hmm a lot of you seem to forget that you browsed Neowin for years without it having a dark theme.

Back then the colours were sane.

#22 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

Posted 24 November 2012 - 15:14

Hmm a lot of you seem to forget that you browsed Neowin for years without it having a dark theme. :huh: Or was there one? I don't remember.

I used Neowin for years without Darkside, then again, usually what you don't know you won't miss.

Then I tried it out after some people really raved about it and I never looked back.
The moment the site theme somehow resets for me, the first thing I do is change back to Darkside and reload all tabs that loaded with the bright one.
At day or at night, doesn't matter.

Also, I'm using Neowin much more since I switched to Darkside, because it's so easy on the eyes it's easy to "waste" a lot of time, too.
I don't think I'd invest that much time anymore into Neowin, because quite frankly, Darkside is a beautiful theme, has perfect contrast for the elements and makes the forum a hell lot more fun.
If they drop it, I'm going to use Neowin less and probably won't subscribe anymore.
I was on the fence either way, this would be a good final reason, because my money apparently won't pay for some effort I'd like to support a lot - more than most other aspects of the site.

#23 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 November 2012 - 15:30

True, but I just did some searching, the earliest I can find references to Darkside that I posted about, was back in 2010. I joined these forums in 2006.

I ran a search from June 2006 to June 2010 for posts by me, it returned 31 pages of results.

I ran another search from June 2010 to June 2012 for posts by me, it returned 35 pages of results.

So basically searching before and after references of Darkside (that I can find), I have been more active on the forums in half the amount of time after darkside, compared to my activity before darkside.

Now I'm sure the darkside theme isn't the only reason, but having a theme much easier on the eyes is a pretty good reason to hang out more often on the forums.

For reference, I run dual monitors with a black background, so having bright sites on one screen next to a pitch black background on the other is very jarring, which is why I use darkside. Even some games get almost too bright to look at (such as the Assassin's Creed series.....when the background goes white), I tend to shy my eyes away from the screen when it's too bright.

#24 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

Posted 24 November 2012 - 15:37

True, but I just did some searching, the earliest I can find references to Darkside that I posted about, was back in 2010. I joined these forums in 2006.

I ran a search from June 2006 to June 2010 for posts by me, it returned 31 pages of results.

I ran another search from June 2010 to June 2012 for posts by me, it returned 35 pages of results.

So basically searching before and after references of Darkside (that I can find), I have been more active on the forums in half the amount of time after darkside, compared to my activity before darkside.

Now I'm sure the darkside theme isn't the only reason, but having a theme much easier on the eyes is a pretty good reason to hang out more often on the forums.

For reference, I run dual monitors with a black background, so having bright sites on one screen next to a pitch black background on the other is very jarring, which is why I use darkside. Even some games get almost too bright to look at (such as the Assassin's Creed series.....when the background goes white), I tend to shy my eyes away from the screen when it's too bright.

I have a 27" screen, I know what you mean, man! (Y)

#25 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:34

I used Neowin for years without Darkside, then again, usually what you don't know you won't miss.

Then I tried it out after some people really raved about it and I never looked back.
The moment the site theme somehow resets for me, the first thing I do is change back to Darkside and reload all tabs that loaded with the bright one.
At day or at night, doesn't matter.

Also, I'm using Neowin much more since I switched to Darkside, because it's so easy on the eyes it's easy to "waste" a lot of time, too.
I don't think I'd invest that much time anymore into Neowin, because quite frankly, Darkside is a beautiful theme, has perfect contrast for the elements and makes the forum a hell lot more fun.
If they drop it, I'm going to use Neowin less and probably won't subscribe anymore.
I was on the fence either way, this would be a good final reason, because my money apparently won't pay for some effort I'd like to support a lot - more than most other aspects of the site.

weren't you also a fan of the pink theme at one time? :p

#26 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:44

I should lighten the theme every week, see if anyone notices. Then in a few months time it'll look exactly like the default theme :p /me dev.troll

#27 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:48

Hmmm not sure if Timan is serious, but Darkside going away would stop me subscribing.

I do wish text wouldn't be grey on it sometimes though

#28 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:50

Hmmm not sure if Timan is serious, but Darkside going away would stop me subscribing.

I do wish text wouldn't be grey on it sometimes though

Well knowing how IPB is with upgrades, if the skin requires little to no work, I'm sure we'll keep it. But we know that won't be the case. We're not going to just delete it, unless there is a reason. (Even tho I would love to :p)

#29 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:56

Darkside will go away?
Da fuq is this?

Seriously guys, this is just insane.

Also, I couldn't care less about a feature discrepancy.

I love Darkside, and yes, Neowin is one of my most frequented websites.
I love how it's easier on the eyes and well... I could invest a lot more time into this post, but I think you won't not drop it either way, so why even bother.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 +BeLGaRaTh

BeLGaRaTh

Been here since year .

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 24 November 2012 - 21:05

I use darkside as the defaults on this site is far too bright and it effects my eyes, due to having an eyesight issue. The only issues I have with darkside is the users who force their text colour to black, but those users/posts I skip over anyway as I cannot read what they're saying (typing?) with it being black text on a black background.

As Nagisan said, I use dark backgrounds/wallpaper on my desktop etc to alleviate this issue, and most of the sites that I visit have a dark/light option for the site.

Midnight would probably be a second choice if the white background was dimmed a lot to about half intensity.

Between this and the apparent forced removal of the expanded front page (which I have raised a topic on but not had it fixed) are you trying to force people into not using the site?

[edit]
Darkside appears to have gone completely no from the front page, it is now far too bright. Has something changed in the last half hour or so?
[/edit]