Dumbest idea ever

Saves the new drivers lives too, not just everyone else on the road. Canada has lots of restrictions for new drivers too.

In Canada you're a Novice for 2 years, then you go for another driving test, if you pass, you don't have the restrictions any more.

Personally I think that kind of stuff should have been done a long time ago, would have saved many many lives.

I think the driving test should be changed, I recently passed my driving test. Started driving on a Monday, drove for 8 hours a day and took my test on Friday. While I passed with only 1 minor, I don't feel ready to drive on Motorways etc.

Works over here in Aus. You can always apply for exceptions (night time driver, overpowered car) if you need or limited to them. Generally you don't even notice that it affects you. Heck, my Commodore V6 manual(with some mods) kept up with the big V8's when I was on my P's so I wasn't complaining. Police will usually pull up a 6 cyl probationary driver in an unmarked cop car so no real problem in that respect. Sure there a those who will disobey and get away with it but the majority with just adhere to the rules, mainly because having a licence is a real must.

Although, our night time driving only restricts to who and how many passangers you can have at night, not that you can't drive. And yes, listening to mp3 players with earbuds in is stupid as you can't here anything around you. Not sure if they were also talking about car speakers as well.

Why not just up the legal age limit to drive to 25, by 25 most of us have grown out of wanting to do stupid stuff / risk our lives (I say most of us)

Because, although one would (hopefully) mature more at an older age, raising the age limit does not account for experience. 99% of young driver accidents are caused from lack of experience....experience in learning how to not be distracted, driving in inclement weather, driving speed vs. handling/breaking, etc.

LOL! You guys should try to get a license in here in India. Unless you're applying for a commercial (heavy vehicles) license, you need not drive more than 5 minutes to get yourself one. I drove precisely for 30 seconds in a straight line to get mine :o I barely knew how to take corners, reverse or even use indicators. In fact, I had never ever driven during nighttime at the time of getting my license issued by the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. I had only spend a grand total of 3-4 hours in all behind the wheel when I took the test. No kidding :p

That was back in 2008. After getting my license, I drove with a trained, experienced chauffeur in the early mornings for weeks before feeling comfortable enough to take the new car out by myself even during daytime. Now night driving is another story - especially during thunderstorms etc. It took me months to start feeling comfortable. :yes:

It might seem dumb, but the data says otherwise, the restrictions have done more good than any perceived harm, and even with that I still don't think most Americans are qualified to drive a vehicle, I feel we need to toughen up the driving test and make it more realistic

This is how its done in ontario

G1 - must have a fully licensed driver with you at all times

G2- can drive on own but not with a lot of teens at night and not on 100kph highways - 0% BAC

G - full - up to 0.05% BAC suspended license > 0.08%BAC criminal offence

Saves the new drivers lives too, not just everyone else on the road. Canada has lots of restrictions for new drivers too.

In Canada you're a Novice for 2 years, then you go for another driving test, if you pass, you don't have the restrictions any more.

Personally I think that kind of stuff should have been done a long time ago, would have saved many many lives.

Sounds like Vancouver to me. I laugh every time I see a green Noob label at the back of people's cars.

This is how its done in ontario

G1 - must have a fully licensed driver with you at all times

G2- can drive on own but not with a lot of teens at night and not on 100kph highways - 0% BAC

G - full - up to 0.05% BAC suspended license > 0.08%BAC criminal offence

You can drive on 400-series expressways with a G2.

I'd stick with my Alberta GDL system, lol. The only restriction with a Class 5 probationary (Basically a G2 or Class 7N in BC, except better) is no alcohol, can't teach learners, and "no more passenger than seat belts" -- and you can keep it for as long as you like with no insurance discrimination since it is considered a Class 5. I don't think stupid teenage kids driving like an idiot is a problem around here. Just get them educated and let them drive. Stupid people will do stupid things whether it is legal or not.

You can drive on 400-series expressways with a G2.

Ah right. I knew that but somehow I figured the G2 was more restrictive. G1 can't go on 400 series higways without an instructor i think

I don't it's a dumb idea. They're basing this assessment off of statistical data. Which should correlate to real world life savings. But then in the survival of the fittest I can see why you'd prefer nothing be changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Do u realise that the article is 2 years old

"21 September 2010 Last updated at 17:23"

I sort of agree, cuz all u see in Broadstreet is guys drivin around in their hired mercs showing off..

It doesnt matter how safe of a driver u are, if the other person is actin like an idiot then an accident is inevitable

• 1 month later...

LOL! You guys should try to get a license in here in India. Unless you're applying for a commercial (heavy vehicles) license, you need not drive more than 5 minutes to get yourself one. I drove precisely for 30 seconds in a straight line to get mine :o I barely knew how to take corners, reverse or even use indicators. In fact, I had never ever driven during nighttime at the time of getting my license issued by the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. I had only spend a grand total of 3-4 hours in all behind the wheel when I took the test. No kidding :p

That was back in 2008. After getting my license, I drove with a trained, experienced chauffeur in the early mornings for weeks before feeling comfortable enough to take the new car out by myself even during daytime. Now night driving is another story - especially during thunderstorms etc. It took me months to start feeling comfortable. :yes:

well that explains alot then :s as most Indian drivers here in NZ are atrocious drivers :omg:

I seem to remember something like that here in Kentucky. It's been a while, but I seem to remember it being illegal to drive after a certain time at night. Not sure if that was with my license or just my learner's permit, but rules like this are nothing too uncommon. It's because a lot of kids get their license and have a taste of freedom and want to show off and get hurt, or hurt other people. My sister-in-law totally destroyed her first car, a Camaro that I loved the few times I drove it, because she tried doing 80 around a curve on a hill and she ended up sailing it through the air and sliding into a ditch for about a hundred feet.

well that explains alot then :s as most Indian drivers here in NZ are atrocious drivers :omg:

Don't worry. You're not racist for saying that. That's just the truth. :p And let nobody tell you otherwise ;)

The thing is, the way traffic is, in here, you'll get lynched (or driven over) if you don't go with the flow. No really! Somebody will actually bump you from behind intentionally if you stop at a traffic light with the road relatively traffic free! :o So you look both ways, say a little prayer and proceed to jump the red light 'cuz that's the 'normal' here believe it or not :(

There's also a sarcastic saying, that "In the US, they drive on the right, in the UK they drive on the left, but here in India, we drive on both sides". And that is actually true :hehe: You wouldn't beleive the madness till you actually stood in the middle of it all LOL! :laugh:

Having said that though, our women are much better, more responsible and defensive drivers than us. Stay away from Indian men driving on the roads. Seriously! :laugh: