Photo

My OCZ Vertex 2 Is Dead

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#16 hjf288

hjf288

Korean Crazy Man!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:19

My intel x25-m g2 has been running since 2009 and wear indicator is still in 90s

#17 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:21

Avoid OCZs, you hear nothing but bad things about them.
Also if it's in a desktop and you have a large enough HDD, I recommend to regularly make a system image onto the HDD. I have my computer set to automatically backup (differential) the whole SSD onto my 3TB HDD every morning at 5AM.

#18 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:21

I was told to do that :p and yea, planning on the Crucial if the SSD going to give me more problems

I don't believe the SSD knows any different from being off for 1 minute or 2 hours.

#19 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:24

Unfortunate you didn't make backups. Long term reliability of some SSDs is a gamble. Can folks tell me which SSDs they have had good long-term experience with? How is people's Intel X25-M G2 doing?

I bought a Vertex 2 two years ago and it's still working. Cross fingers.

SSD or HDD one should always make a backup to an external HDD.

While HDD last for a longer period of time let's be honest often after 3-4 years they start making lot of noise while seeking. My 250GB WD Caviar is really noisy and has been for a good 2 years.

Personally i would try to re-install Windows. A slow installation can be caused by a lot of things other than the SSD or HDD.

#20 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:32

snip

My Vertex 2 died not too long ago. I RMA'd it with OCZ and they gave me a brand spankin' new one. There is a 5 year warranty on it, so you are fine. Go here and create an RMA ticket.: http://www.ocztechno...pport/warranty/

They will send you a series of emails on where and how to mail it. The first one will be a conformation that they have your RMA, the second will be approval, and the 3rd will be shipping info. I got the 3rd email two days after it died so just be patient. Hope this helps! :) BTW: OCZ's support is awesome. They put my new drive on overnight shipping.

#21 OP AimLXJ

AimLXJ

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:36

My Vertex 2 died not too long ago. I RMA'd it with OCZ and they gave me a brand spankin' new one. There is a 5 year warranty on it, so you are fine. Go here and create an RMA ticket.: http://www.ocztechno...pport/warranty/

They will send you a series of emails on where and how to mail it. The first one will be a conformation that they have your RMA, the second will be approval, and the 3rd will be shipping info. I got the 3rd email two days after it died so just be patient. Hope this helps! :) BTW: OCZ's support is awesome. They put my new drive on overnight shipping.

How long did the process take from shipping to receiving?

#22 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:47

Can folks tell me which SSDs they have had good long-term experience with? How is people's Intel X25-M G2 doing?

Mine's been spinning for - I think - about two and a half years now. I also have an OCZ Vertex 4. Lovely device, I say.

#23 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:53

Mine's been spinning for - I think - about two and a half years now. I also have an OCZ Vertex 4. Lovely device, I say.

Spinning?

#24 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:56

Spinning?

Well technically since the earth is spinning the computer is spinning and the disk is spinning too.

#25 wydmex

wydmex

Neowinian

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:58

Experienced the same symptoms with my Vertex 3 a few months back. A secure wipe using the OCZ Bootable Linux Tools was enough to bring the drive back to full working order, but of course I lost everything. It took a few evenings to rebuild and re-install everything that I needed but eventually I was back up and running. In my case I didn't loose too much as the drive was solely hosting the OS and programs. Data is stored on a regular HDD.

#26 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:29

Spinning?

Yes -- deep inside the drive, electrons are spinning.

#27 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:34

OCZ's Vertex 2 & 3 have high failure rate. OCZ has quietly swept the problem under the rug. Go for a different brand.

But first is the hard disk recognizable in bios? If yes, download some boot CD (Hiren's Boot CD) and perform a full slow format.

#28 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:47

How long did the process take from shipping to receiving?

To ship it there was 2 days (I paid for 2 day shipping) and for them to verify it was 1 day. (They sent mine on overnight shipping). No problems thus far. I think we both got a dud drive because this new one is so much faster and stable. No freezes or BSODS thus far for me---I had the same problems as you.

#29 OP AimLXJ

AimLXJ

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:20

I just reconnected the SSD and same problem. GOD DAMIT OCZ. Sigh, gonna be a long day getting all my games and applications back to my customized settings once they send me one :(

#30 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:25

I had a couple of Vertex LE drives die (the second was a replacement drive after I RMA'd the original) but my Vertex 3 has been rock solid.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!