Photo
lumia

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 efjay

efjay

Neowinian

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:55

Pretty simple to use for me, I use Zune to manage my music and use the desktop Windows Phone application to sync to my 920. Havent had a problem but I dont use Xbox music on any of my Windows 8 devices and turned off cloud sync on my phone.

#17 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:58

Pretty simple to use for me, I use Zune to manage my music and use the desktop Windows Phone application to sync to my 920. Havent had a problem but I dont use Xbox music on any of my Windows 8 devices and turned off cloud sync on my phone.

2 apps are better than 1 /s

Seriously though, you manage your music with Zune (good to hear because Zune won't recognize the Lumia 920 for me, (though others claim they are syncing with it).

Are you syncing playlists or just copying files over and building playlists on the phone? If you are syncing playlists how are you doing it? I'll stick to Windows Media Player now, one app does it all and I need playlists but I'm curious as to what others are doing.

#18 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:04

Doesn't WP8 support drag and drop?

#19 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:06

So I remember reading on thurrot's website that any MTP capable player can be used for syncing music - has anyone tried other players besides WMP?

#20 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:11

So I remember reading on thurrot's website that any MTP capable player can be used for syncing music - has anyone tried other players besides WMP?

This is true. WMP works and I think you can even use iTunes if you really wanted to. Songbird is another option.

I just use WMP. I fail to see what is so horrible about it. It's fast and works just fine.

#21 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:03

This is true. WMP works and I think you can even use iTunes if you really wanted to. Songbird is another option.

I just use WMP. I fail to see what is so horrible about it. It's fast and works just fine.

ITunes will not work, I wish.

Nothing wrong with using WMP, it works in Windows 8 and Windows 7. I guess what's so horrible is that Windows 8 Search, Windows 8 Music, Video, & Windows Phone 8 Apps combined cannot do what WMP can do.

#22 +Chsoriano

Chsoriano

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:46

Doesn't WP8 support drag and drop?

Yeah but that's hardly a way of managing a music collection between two devices.

#23 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:32

Yeah but that's hardly a way of managing a music collection between two devices.

As an iTunes user... I would jump around for drag and drop capabilities.. :/ ( iphone 4 user...)

#24 +Chsoriano

Chsoriano

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:34

As an iTunes user... I would jump around for drag and drop capabilities.. :/ ( iphone 4 user...)

Ha, fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I like that it's available, but it definitely should not be the only way to do it without having issues such as we are. I just wish the Windows 8 music app offered the same level of library management across your pc/tablet and WP8 device as the Zune desktop client did.

#25 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:35

Ha, fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I like that it's available, but it definitely should not be the only way to do it without having issues such as we are. I just wish the Windows 8 music app offered the same level of library management across your pc/tablet and WP8 device as the Zune desktop client did.

Yeah I feel you, syncing multiple devices with one same playlist/library is something I had to give up since I became an iphone/itunes users...

#26 Josh_LosAltosHills

Josh_LosAltosHills

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5. Waiting on New Nokia Phones

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:37

The connector for Mac works fine for me. Just drag and drop. When I plug my 920 into my surface and sync is when I run into problems.

#27 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:38

One benefit to having no real alternative except to use Windows Media Player on Windows 8 is that it converts Media Center's WTV recording format when syncing a video playlist with pretty decent speed and plays flawlessly on the Lumia 920.

Nice.

#28 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:17

I couldn't get the windows phone 8 desktop app to work at all with my 8X. When it first starts it tosses out an error and can't do any syncing with my 8X. I didn't actually want to sync though just put music ON the phone from the netbook but no go. I just used WMP to add my music to it. I wonder if it didn't work because of the fact that I first copied the music off of my old WP7 device using Zune and then used drag and drop to add them to the 8x. I then got rid of all the music on the 8X and tried the WP8 desktop app again but it gave me the same error. Oh well.

#29 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:11

I couldn't get the windows phone 8 desktop app to work at all with my 8X. When it first starts it tosses out an error and can't do any syncing with my 8X. I didn't actually want to sync though just put music ON the phone from the netbook but no go. I just used WMP to add my music to it. I wonder if it didn't work because of the fact that I first copied the music off of my old WP7 device using Zune and then used drag and drop to add them to the 8x. I then got rid of all the music on the 8X and tried the WP8 desktop app again but it gave me the same error. Oh well.

The Windows App doesn't do much other than drag and drop when it is working. I'm not sure why they call it syncing. Windows Media Player is the tool to use in Windows 8 for Windows Phone 8 devices.

#30 125ccgirl

125ccgirl

Neowinian

Posted 04 December 2012 - 13:25

As along time Nokia, user I used Nokia Suite to sync everything.

Lumia 920 is great....except now there's this conspiracy to kill us with data bills!

I'm strictly a USB/Wi-Fi girl (no cloud for me!)....now I use Media Monkey to manage music and playlists to Windows 8 phone....love it!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!