new york long island power authority bogus estimated electric usage

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 abecedarian paradoxious

abecedarian paradoxious

cell tech

• 1,292 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:21

If they have "smart" meters, and if not waited until the next billing cycle, the next billing cycle will show greatly reduced usage and a smaller than normal bill... and maybe even a credit for over-charging for the previous cycle.

#17 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,862 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:27

Any of you who say this is no big deal have clearly never dealt with LIPA before. They charge the highest electricity rates in the US and we get **** service for it. Oh and they expect you to pay even if there's an outage, they hardly ever give credits for outages.

#18 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,428 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:39

CL&P tried that BS after last year's storm and freak snow storm, the State reamed the company a new one and were fined for that and many other issues that arose because the Company cut corners after the storm, hell we lost power for a week, before the bills went out it had the **** had already hit the fan, they had no choice but to make sure all the meters were read

And they still managed to completely screw up again this year, hopefully the fine will be twice as large as last year's and keep doubling till they get it right

#19 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:47

And they still managed to completely screw up again this year, hopefully the fine will be twice as large as last year's and keep doubling till they get it right

And then they put the rates up so they can cover these fines without going into shareholders profits. Customer always loses.

#20 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,479 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:13

I think the power company is simply greedy.

probably hoping no one will see it or say anything about it. talk about trying to get something for nothing

#21 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,572 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:59

Any of you who say this is no big deal have clearly never dealt with LIPA before. They charge the highest electricity rates in the US and we get **** service for it. Oh and they expect you to pay even if there's an outage, they hardly ever give credits for outages.

So my conclusion is correct.

I figured they were hoping few would notice or complain about the over-charging.

The power companies must have spent a fortune in overtime labor and new equipment, wiring, etc., and they want the customers to cover all the extra expenses, even tho they got little for the money they paid.

#22 jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax

A custom title? Cool!

• 7,684 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit SGH-T599N

Posted 25 November 2012 - 17:22

Nothing to see here folks. This is how electric bills are done. Until they do a meter reading (usually once every 2 months) it goes by estimated use.

The customers will be credited once the reading occurs.

Here in Jacksonville, the electric and water meters are automatically read via the computer, no longer does anyone come out to physically read the meter, and now they just recently installed a new meter that allows the company to shut off the service remotely, so that do not have to take the risk on sending a tech out who might get attacked by an irate customer...

#23 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:05

I think the rules on power companies are far too lax. They have a natural monopoly, and too many of them use it to screw their customers. I had a nightmare of a time trying to get my electricity set up correctly at my new place. I'm not one who is usually for government regulations, but any natural monopoly should have VERY strict government regulations. We have no choice who to get power from, so it's not like we can just go with another company. There's absolutely no excuse for not billing an exact amount every single month. I hadn't heard about estimates before, but that shouldn't be allowed. I don't care how many accounts you have to service, smart meters make it so you don't have to physically check now, so every bill should be billed correctly each time. I don't think they'd be ok with people paying an "estimated" amount prior to getting my bill and just making it up next bill, so why is it ok the other way around?

#24 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:00

I think the rules on power companies are far too lax. They have a natural monopoly, and too many of them use it to screw their customers. I had a nightmare of a time trying to get my electricity set up correctly at my new place. I'm not one who is usually for government regulations, but any natural monopoly should have VERY strict government regulations. We have no choice who to get power from, so it's not like we can just go with another company. There's absolutely no excuse for not billing an exact amount every single month. I hadn't heard about estimates before, but that shouldn't be allowed. I don't care how many accounts you have to service, smart meters make it so you don't have to physically check now, so every bill should be billed correctly each time. I don't think they'd be ok with people paying an "estimated" amount prior to getting my bill and just making it up next bill, so why is it ok the other way around?

Why can't you change energy provider?

#25 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,591 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:15

So, for those of you who don't know how this works, and obviously the customers responsible for this story being written.

If for some reason your meter cannot be read, the power company will do a pro-rated billing for the last 6 or 12 months, usually 12 months. and your bill will turn out to be whatever the average is, for that period, say 12 months.

Then next month, when they actually do a read, if your actual bill was more then the average your bill will be higher or if it was lower then the average, your bill will be lower.

Yes, some houses are gone and meters are not there anymore, the power company will just continue it's automated billing until those situations can be assessed. People jump to conclusions and get all irate without even calling the power company first or trying to talk to someone. They instantly call the local news and get on facebook/twitter to complain. Apparently that is human nature in this day and age.

Why can't you change energy provider?

Because energy providers own their own infrastructure. In the US at least, if you live in one region, your power is provided by a specific company. And if you live in another region, it would be provided by another. The power companies are also regulated be federal and state law.

If there were 15 energy companies in one region, you'd have a ton of power poles and lines running down all the streets, it would look like a really badly organized network patch panel everywhere you went.

There's absolutely no excuse for not billing an exact amount every single month.

You can't be serious? So someone's house was destroyed and no longer standing, not to mention where the meter may have ended up... that's not a good excuse? Please explain how you expect them to get an exact reading... I'll wait while you reply.

#26 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:19

So, for those of you who don't know how this works, and obviously the customers responsible for this story being written.

Because energy providers own their own infrastructure. In the US at least, if you live in one region, your power is provided by a specific company. And if you live in another region, it would be provided by another. The power companies are also regulated be federal and state law.

If there were 15 energy companies in one region, you'd have a ton of power poles and lines running down all the streets, it would look like a really badly organized network patch panel everywhere you went.

Ah that's crazy that there isn't some kind of governing body to help prevent monopolies from forming.

#27 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• 1,776 posts
  • Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:39

You can't be serious? So someone's house was destroyed and no longer standing, not to mention where the meter may have ended up... that's not a good excuse? Please explain how you expect them to get an exact reading... I'll wait while you reply.

So there's no house or meter, yet they're charging an average knowing full well there IS NO POWER. Who's the one who can't be serious?

#28 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,572 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:50

^ I think all power bills should be suspended, until they can physically confirm who has and does not have working lines and meters.

#29 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:16

In other countries, the power poles/lines etc. are either owned by the Government or another company without any interest in the Retail market who wholesale the usage to Retailer providers.

Customer then has to purchase from a Retail Provider, where there is a competitive market. The Retailer handles all the billing, customer service, etc. The wholesaler just supplies the retailer at regulated wholesale rates regardless of the physical topology.