Photo

Xcode "like" editor on windows?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:05

I'm looking for an editor that will feel like the xcode one. I don't need it to compile anything but I want it to auto complete functions, suggest, maybe link to the API ?, warnings etc'.
is there anything like that? Tried searching for an notepad++ plugin with no success.

(I'm on Windows and not looking for a Virtual Machine solution)

#2 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:07

For what language(s)? There are hundreds of IDEs like (better than) Xcode on Windows, the one you pick depends on which language you're going to use though.

#3 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:15

Visual Studio, Delphi, C++Builder, Qt Creator, and there's bound to be something for Eclipse.

#4 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:31

I'm looking for an editor that will feel like the xcode one. I don't need it to compile anything but I want it to auto complete functions, suggest, maybe link to the API ?, warnings etc'.
is there anything like that? Tried searching for an notepad++ plugin with no success.

(I'm on Windows and not looking for a Virtual Machine solution)

Why would you want an IDE as terrible as Xcode? I'm serious. Xcode is far from ideal. Especially since Apple wants developers to use Objectionable-C ;)

If it supports the language you're looking to use, you can't go wrong with Visual Studio. It's excellent.

#5 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:41

Sublime Text 2

Way better than Notepad++

#6 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:44

The only language I'll be developing in is objective-C. Don't know how I didn't mentioned it.
Visual studio handles Objective-C well?

The main reason I want something close to Xcode in Windows is because I'm developing for the iphone at home (where I have Lion installed) But I have other Windows environments where i want to retouch the code and sometimes add a few pieces to it. I want, at least try, to keep those coding environments as close to each other as possible in terms of auto complete, shortcuts etc'.

#7 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:38

To be honest, I don't think you're going to find a IDE comparable to Xcode for Objective-C on Windows since there's very little interest in Objective-C for anything other than iOS development. There's a plugin for Sublime Text 2 to allow primitive Objective-C auto-completion / code navigation https://github.com/q...er/SublimeClang but I don't know of anything better.

#8 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:11

Looks that way.. I hoped it was just my poor searching skills on google
Thanks for the plugin but it's very basic and not really what I was looking for.

#9 OP Shasoosh

Shasoosh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:08

Bumping this. Maybe there is something I'm missing?

I'm looking for IDE comparable to Xcode for Objective-C on Windows in terms of auto complete, shortcuts etc'.

#10 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:29

Doubt, you'll find anything interesting that has to do with Objective-C outside of the Apple ecosystem as nobody but them uses that language...