Photo

Cannot get Metro/Modern UI/whatever apps to follow web links

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:42

Ok, well, I never got around to testing whether the firefox maintenance service was the issue, because now it's broken again and the only thing I've done is installed some windows updates. I guess it's just something inherent in Windows 8 and I'll have to wait for MS to fix it. I did get to enjoy Pin Steam for a few minutes yesterday. Oh well.

I feel your pain. I haven't given up on 8, but I have given up on trying to fix/workaround these irritating bugs that are all Metro related.

#17 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:22

Here is the most common fix for this. Edit your registry at your own risk.

Open your registry and delete the following key and then reboot:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CSLID

No one knows what specific entries cause the problem but Microangelo OnDisplay does create an entry FWIW. I think many legacy apps may cause this problem. This should not harm your system as software will recreate the keys if needed. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE CURRENT USER HIVE and not LOCAL MACHINE.

#18 georgevella

georgevella

Software Developer

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:35

Here is the most common fix for this. Edit your registry at your own risk.

Open your registry and delete the following key and then reboot:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CSLID

No one knows what specific entries cause the problem but Microangelo OnDisplay does create an entry FWIW. I think many legacy apps may cause this problem. This should not harm your system as software will recreate the keys if needed. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE CURRENT USER HIVE and not LOCAL MACHINE.

Which moron suggested that?! You just deleted COM objects registration info for the current user.

#19 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:43

Which moron suggested that?! You just deleted COM objects registration info for the current user.

1) It works.
2) Edit the registry at your own risk. If the app is worth it's salt, it will reload from HKLM or recreate.

#20 georgevella

georgevella

Software Developer

Posted 26 November 2012 - 21:55

Those keys are created through regsvr32 or manually via the installation. There are no rules saying that the keys under that tree should be cloned into HKLM, heck, it doesn't even matter because they won't be recreated unless you manually re-register the component or reinstall the program. It may work for this problem, sure, but it's the wrong solution. You are solving one problem by probably creating another.

1) It works.
2) Edit the registry at your own risk. If the app is worth it's salt, it will reload from HKLM or recreate.

#21 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:30

Anything is possible. The two I had were recreated and problem solved. I would say, go for it on Windows 8 without hesitation at this point.

You can back it up, yada yada, restore each key to see which one breaks Metro links. It may not even be a key, it could be legacy installs corrupt it. That's an individual call. It'll be a long wait for MS to fix this issue and most likely worth it. For this user, who has reinstalled everything anyway, I would highly recommend deleting the user key and fixing this problem and reinstalling anything that appears to have an issue though I doubt anything will.

#22 OP Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:47

Yeah, I'll probably try that in the morning (I'm off to work soon). I'll just back up that reg key first so I can re-add it if it causes any other issues. Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I went ahead and did it since it only takes a few moments. It appears to have worked. I'll key that regkey backup just in case I need it down the road, but for now it appears to be fine. I guess I'll find out down the road if it caused any issues. Thanks dude!

#23 bradbodily

bradbodily

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 14 January 2013 - 18:06

Just wanted to add that deleting the reg keys worked for me, too (at least, for now). I too made a back up in case issues show up down the road, and it seems a dumb thing to need to do, but it's nice to have links working again.