28 posts in this topic

China has carried out its first successful landing of a fighter plane on its first aircraft carrier, state media said on Sunday, a symbolically significant development as Asian neighbours fret about the world's most populous country's military ambitions.

The domestically-built J-15 fighter jet took off from and landed on the Liaoning, a reconditioned Soviet-era vessel from Ukraine, which only came into service in September.

China ushered in a new generation of leaders this month at the 18th Communist party congress in Beijing, with outgoing President Hu Jintao making a pointed reference to strengthening China's naval forces, protecting maritime interests and the need to "win local war".

Guardian

I think the entire world should be concerned about China's military intentions.

5 people like this

Totally, Mrs Clinton! But I think we are save for now or at least until they start setting up military bases in all the corners of the world, openly financing opposition parties in sovereign countries, promoting regime changes, exporting their version of "democracy", and just becoming a nuisance with their hypocrisy, lies, and double standards when it comes to human rights and the ways societies function.

6 people like this

Totally, Mrs Clinton! But I think we are save for now or at least until they start setting up military bases in all the corners of the world, openly financing opposition parties in sovereign countries, promoting regime changes, exporting their version of "democracy", and just becoming a nuisance with their hypocrisy, lies, and double standards when it comes to human rights and the ways societies function.

So, untill they turn into America then.

5 people like this

Believe it or not, they do do it to a considerable extent in some countries. The geographic spread is not that wide maybe.

At first I actually thought you where ironic and meant USA. :s

China economy is far more fragile then most people realize. They have a very scary housing bubble.

The Chinese have been just bundling stuff to inflate / manipulate GDP but has left them with empty cities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19049254

US still spends 2x as much as both China and Russia military combined at present.

1 person likes this

"a reconditioned Soviet-era vessel from Ukraine" - ridiculous. Can't they design their own aircraft? No.

China economy is far more fragile then most people realize. They have a very scary housing bubble.

The Chinese have been just bundling stuff to inflate / manipulate GDP but has left them with empty cities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-19049254

US still spends 2x as much as both China and Russia military combined at present.

Believe it or not, spending "more" on the military doesn't mean you actually spend more, or have a bigger or a better military. just that your suppliers are more expensive.

"a reconditioned Soviet-era vessel from Ukraine" - ridiculous. Can't they design their own aircraft? No.

Carrier, not aircraft. and yes they can they are doing this as well.

People shouldn't be as concerned about what China might do as they should about what the US is doing.

2 people like this

Expect a Naval Version of Project 310 (J-31 stealth jet I posted a few months back), not to mention project 048 - China's Aircraft Carrier Program in 2013.

PICS!

2jtjl4.jpg

25a1bvn.jpg

2ym6ijk.jpg

B4XgB.jpg

Meanwhile in China:

121731i1bp1726ppsqppbq.jpg

184313efmzw70slsy4kmsm.jpg.thumb.jpg

172454rteelozt5iit38ta.jpg.thumb.jpg

pBwWm.jpg

LOL...everybody's goin crazy over there!

3 people like this

Guess they can steal the tech for building a stealth carrier landing plane from us, but they still have to figure out how to fly it.

Guess they can steal the tech for building a stealth carrier landing plane from us, but they still have to figure out how to fly it.

Huh? both are thought to be based on Russian tech :/

Looks like a modified SU-33 to me

Don't be too sure that they aren't doing it already. They just wouldn't do so openly.

Don't be too sure that they aren't doing it already. They just wouldn't do so openly.

You're kidding right? China doesn't have any military bases outside of China and I think we'd have heard about it.

It's not like the US does these things openly either.

Huh? both are thought to be based on Russian tech :/

Ha I was kidding. Nothing serious meant by that.

US subs reach Asian ports

The United States and its allies are currently engaged in extensive military moneuvers in the Pacific. This inordinate concentration of foreign troops in the vicinity of China is perceived by Beijing as an open threat.

U.S. Risks Military Clash With China In Yellow Sea

Sixty years from the start of the Korean War, Washington?s escalating threats against China have turned the region into a powder keg. The latest show of force is the ultimate sign that the US is determined to not just maintain its military dominance in Asia, but to be seen doing so. Forging ahead with the creation of an Asian version of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Washington has enmeshed many of the countries that less than 40 years ago were the victims of its scorched-earth policies and suffering the devastating and persisting effects of Agent Orange.

Clinton in Burma: Another US move against China

For all its claims to be promoting democracy and human rights, the Obama administration?s mooted talks with the Burmese generals aim to counter China?s footing in the country. As part of a broad diplomatic offensive being waged by the Obama administration throughout Asia, Hillary Clinton?s recent visit was not to bring Myanmar in from the cold, but to shake up the battle for global clout right on China?s doorstep.

US war games in South East Asia

"Cobra Gold 2012 " is on track. More than 13 000 soldiers, including troops from the United States, Thailand, South Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Japan are currently participating in war games in Thailand.

Obama?s Greater East

Behind the soothing rhetoric about defending human rights and promoting democracy, the Obama administration has expanded its area of intervention wherein it continues to perpetrate human rights violations and flout peoples? democratic aspirations.

For 236 years the U.S. has defended democracy everywhere: Hillary Clinton asserted this in Cairo. Thus she must have erased from history the more than 160 military interventions abroad that U.S. imperialism made starting from the 1940s; the wars of the Cold War period in Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Lebanon; the coups the CIA orchestrated in Guatemala, Indonesia, Brazil, Chile and Argentina; and the wars of the post-Cold War period in Iraq, Somalia, Yugoslavia and Afghanistan.

Clinton guarantees that the Obama administration is making the same commitment to carry out these actions. In fact, from the strategy launched by Republican George W. Bush of the Greater Middle East (including North Africa and Central Asia), Democrat (and Nobel Peace Prize laureate) Barack Obama has moved to the strategy of the Greater East, which aims at the entire Asia-Pacific region in an open challenge to China and Russia.

Obama?s Geopolitical China ?Pivot?

With little fanfare Barack Obama late last year announced a "strategic pivot" in US defense policy to focus on the Pacific, bolstered by "Coalition of the willing" Australia. It is all about emerging China as an economic colossus with a mind all its own. The US military has been steadily positioning itself along the strategic sea lanes surrounding China to deal potentially deadly blows to the mainland as well as cutting off its oil corridors to the Middle East and Africa. This author breaks down a situation where the noose tightening around China could generate a major new conflict zone in the not too distant future.

Now, let's read again the first sentence from the OP:

China has carried out its first successful landing of a fighter plane on its first aircraft carrier, state media said on Sunday, a symbolically significant development as Asian neighbours fret about the world's most populous country's military ambitions.

"How dare China upgrade its military!"

In South East Asia, we are now witnessing the largest ever relocation of military might by the U.S. in history, for real, and the western presstitute writes about "a symbolically significant development" and accuses the other side of "military ambitions".

These lies make me sick!

I'm sure the author of the OP didn't make an effort to ask the folks in Vietnam, Laos, or Cambodia who they fret about!

1 person likes this

Hope for them their fighter aircrafts are more reliable than the crap they sell us at the 1$ store ;)

lot of comments laughing at their jet..

would you use your best for a test flight ?

do you think they have no quality fighters ?

some common sense goes a long way.

and i loved the first comment about when to be worried about China lol

I have no concerns abouth them but the "World Police" on the other hand is another matter..

Those pictures of people pointing are hilarious too ! lol

As some members here have hinted that China too is expansionist, I'd like to present this piece on the differences in the American and the Chinese foreign policies.

Beijing?s winning strategy in Africa

That China?s rise in Africa amounts to neo-colonialism and is resented by Africans is a notion existing primarily in the minds of Western analysts, as educator and author Brendan P. O?Reilly aptly points out. There are stark differences between Beijing?s and Washington?s foreign policies, and nowhere are these more obvious than in Africa: China?s interests are purely economic, while the U.S. remains obsessed with military dominance. In short, while the U.S. bombs and weaponizes, China is pursuing cooperation based on mutual benefits.

Contention between China and the United States is extending far beyond the current hot spot of the South China Sea. As China?s economy continues its rapid expansion, a truly global realignment of power is taking place. Regions that were dominated by the West for centuries are now coming into China?s orbit, challenging America?s position at the top on a once-unipolar world.

This trend is particularly evident in Africa. The United States is now seeking to counter China?s economic and political inroads in the African continent. The Africa policies of both the US and China are important not only in their own right, but also because these policies serve to indicate the significant differences in these two powers? general foreign strategies and world views.

US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has been quick to question China?s relationship with Africa, and highlight the purported difference in Africa policy between the US and China. During her visit to Senegal (the first stop of her African tour), she promoted "a model of sustainable partnership that adds value, rather than extracts it". She went on to promise: "America will stand up for democracy and universal human rights even when it might be easier to look the other way and keep the resources flowing." [1]

These comments have been widely understood as thinly disguised swipes at Chinese efforts in the region. Chinese state media reacted swiftly, saying Clinton?s words constituted "cheap shots". An editorial from the official Xinhua news agency, titled "US plot to sow discord between China, Africa is doomed to fail" stated:

"China?s booming economic relations with Africa have stemmed both from their time-honored friendship and complementary needs of development. Its genuine respect of and support for African countries? development paths are lauded and welcomed across the continent. The friendly and mutually beneficial interaction between China and Africa gives the lie to Clinton?s insinuation." [2]

One must sift through the propaganda on both sides to arrive at an objective truth behind the motives of the US and China in Africa. Both act in Africa to promote the perceived self-interest of their respective nations. While the US speaks of human rights and democracy, counterterrorism and security are at the top of its agenda. Meanwhile, China?s "friendly interaction" with African states has an almost entirely economic purpose.

The raw numbers reveal China?s massive economic impact in Africa. Trade between Africa and China has more than trebled since 2006, passing US$166 billion last year. [3]

The majority of this figure comes from Africa?s $93 billion of exports to China - most of which is raw materials, especially petroleum and copper. African imports from China consist largely of consumer and electronic goods. According to Beijing, the past decade has seen $15 billion worth of Chinese commercial investment in Africa. In 2009 China overtook the United States to become Africa?s No 1 trading partner.

In 2009 China overtook the United States to become Africa?s No 1 trading partner.

And they did it without any covert-ops aimed at regime changes!

1 person likes this

Now, let's read again the first sentence from the OP:

"How dare China upgrade its military!"

In South East Asia, we are now witnessing the largest ever relocation of military might by the U.S. in history, for real, and the western presstitute writes about "a symbolically significant development" and accuses the other side of "military ambitions".

These lies make me sick!

I'm sure the author of the OP didn't make an effort to ask the folks in Vietnam, Laos, or Cambodia who they fret about!

It's a quotation from a news story... :s

It's a quotation from a news story... :s

Hence "the author of the OP"

USA:

Only ME CAN HAVE XBOX BLACK OPS2!!!!