Photo
ram_upgrade 2010_mac_mini

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 kevpan815

kevpan815

Apple Developer Program + Ubuntu Tester

• Phone: Apple IPhone 5 Running IOS 6.1 Beta 3!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:18

It only cost me $200 from Apple.com which my $250 dollar Apple Gift Card from Poweron.com (I recently traded in my 3rd Gen IPad Wifi Only Model for a Verizon Wireless Apple IPad Mini Wifi + Cellular) fully paid for plus $37 extra still on the Gift Card (There is still Tax even if Shipping is Free). Just FYI.

P.S? As for the Solid State Hard Drive reccomendation, that is going to have to wait until after the Holiday's as I currently have a $35 dollar Activation Fee coming up for my Newly Activated Cellular Service with my Verizon Wireless Apple IPad Mini, plus I eventually have to start placing orders for Apple Gift Cards for my Brother, my 2 Cousins, and my 2 Cousins Children. If anyone has a Reccomendation on what type of Solid State Drive would run good on my Mid Year 2010 Mac Mini (the one with the 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor) please do not hesitate to reply.

#2 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:27

I love how you used the word "only" at the start. :p

#3 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:34

Why would you ever buy RAM from Apple? They overcharge! You should've bought it from Newegg/TigerDirect/other retailer, even if you did have a gift card (which you could've used on a substantial purchase)

#4 +devHead

devHead

The stars, like dust...

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:37

It only cost me $200 from Apple.com which my $250 dollar Apple Gift Card from Poweron.com (I recently traded in my 3rd Gen IPad Wifi Only Model for a Verizon Wireless Apple IPad Mini Wifi + Cellular) fully paid for plus $37 extra still on the Gift Card (There is still Tax even if Shipping is Free). Just FYI.

P.S? As for the Solid State Hard Drive reccomendation, that is going to have to wait until after the Holiday's as I currently have a $35 dollar Activation Fee coming up for my Newly Activated Cellular Service with my Verizon Wireless Apple IPad Mini, plus I eventually have to start placing orders for Apple Gift Cards for my Brother, my 2 Cousins, and my 2 Cousins Children. If anyone has a Reccomendation on what type of Solid State Drive would run good on my Mid Year 2010 Mac Mini (the one with the 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor) please do not hesitate to reply.

Bro, for $200, I hope you got 128 GB of RAM, otherwise you got ripped off. But then again, you buy Apple products, so it's all you ever know.

#5 Viper217

Viper217

Neowinian

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:37

I can't tell if your serious or not, 200 dollars on ram? so you got 40 gb of ram then? >.>

#6 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:46

You paid $200 for RAM?! wow...

#7 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:50

http://www.crucial.c...AD16C65A5CA7304

You could have bought 40GB of ram.. lmao

#8 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:51

Oh, Apple users :rofl:

I just bought 32GB of RAM for $100. I somehow have a feeling you purchased significantly less than that.

#9 qdave

qdave

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:54

So judging from this:
http://store.apple.c...ACMINI_F12_QC23
if 16gb is 400$, you got 8gb for 200$? :( While price in newegg will be 40-50 for 8gb.

It seems Apple does know how to milk its customers.

#10 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:56

Aren't you the guy who buys lots of Apple products just for the sake of it? When someone says to get more RAM, etc. they mean buying it through a 3rd party site, not through Apple.

I checked crucial.com, you can get it for less than $45 including tax with free shipping, less if you use a coupon code.
for your SSD, DO NOT BUY FROM APPLE.
Mac Minis are the easiest Apple product to upgrade yourself.
Get yourself an Intel SSD, they are very reliable. Avoid OCZ.

#11 OP kevpan815

kevpan815

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:56

Excuse me but I wanted to make sure that I did NOT VOID my Warranty by putting NON-APPLE-APPROVED-MEMORY in to this Mac. After all I still have an EXTENDED WARRANTY with my APPLE CARE AGREEMENT that goes until November 2013! So shut the blank-et-e-blank Up! Just FYI! Thread Closed.

#12 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:59

Thread Closed.

Thread is still open.

It does not void your warranty as long as you use a compatible module, as it is considered a user replaceable component:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4432

Also check your user manual and warranty agreement.

#13 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 26 November 2012 - 00:00

I don't know about the US, but in the UK the Apple Care agreement says that the RAM is "Customer Upgradeable" and doesn't void your warranty. :/

Did you not even research before spending $200 unnecessarily?

#14 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 November 2012 - 00:01

Excuse me but I wanted to make sure that I did NOT VOID my Warranty by putting NON-APPLE-APPROVED-MEMORY in to this Mac. After all I still have an EXTENDED WARRANTY with my APPLE CARE AGREEMENT that goes until November 2013! So shut the blank-et-e-blank Up! Just FYI! Thread Closed.

Huh...seems it's not closed...btw you won't void your warranty at all on the machine. You are allowed to swap out the simple components on a machine as long as they are user accesible and you use memory that is compatible.

Perhaps in the future learn from the experience instead of getting angry at them?

#15 OP kevpan815

kevpan815

Posted 26 November 2012 - 00:02

oh and I will indeed be ordering my SSD from Apple.com by the way! Just FYI! Thread Remains Closed!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!