Little Big Planet Karting

Realling enjoying this game. Got it the other night so that me and the girl would have something different to play together.

At first I was really worried, because all of the reveiws are pretty harsh on it. But after actually playing it, I quickly dismissed them. The game is pure fun.

It plays very much like Mario Kart, but has a few differences. The races are quick, the characters are quirky, and it is exciting the whole time. Plenty of unlocks to keep you replaying.

While it might not be mario kart, it is something I feel is a little better than Modnation.

Don't buy into the harsh reviews though. If you are thinking about getting this, and like such type of kart games, you will like this a lot.

I agree. The game is a lot of fun. Not sure why some critics reviewed it as average or poorly. It's actually made by the same people that did Modnation Racers. The problem with that game though was load times but they fixed that issue in LBP Karting.

Good to hear. I picked up the demo of F1 Race Stars and was a bit disapointed. Might give this a look (Y)

Ignore everything in reviews about it. There seems to be this sanctity of mario kart that is making everyone hate anything that isn't it.

I've played it more, with 3 friends, and enjoyed it even more so than I did with only 2 of us playing.

With 2 players, you can do all the races, unlock items and levels, and play online against others.

With 3+ players, you can play mostly all the races ( a few will not let more than 2 play at a time ), but are unable to unlock new tracks/items, and most multiplayer sessions will only allow for 2 of you to play as well.

Now, that sounds sort of like a bummer with what you can and can't play... and it is. But, and a big BUT, it is still fun as could be.

With 4 of us, we started on the battle matches first. This helped my friends get used to the simple controls, and understand some of the weapon dynamics. It was a blast.

We then started doing the races.... and that is where the real fun is. Racing in this game is very simplistic. You go forward, power slide to tubro, and get weapons. If you are in first place, you can shoot a weapon backwards, or save it for defense. If you are not first, you shouldn't focus on defense as much, and just time your weapons on good shots/placements. Winning a game doesn't require skill persay... but instead, is more based upon luck and timing. This isn't a bad type of luck... like this game does not have catchup or rubberbanding. If you get whacked off course a few times, it can and normally does mean, last place. But the luck I am talking about is getting the right item at the right place, catching a turn just right, or getting hit by a missle just as you jump ( which normally means you don't lose speed ). We replayed so many races just because it is so fun, and you always have that chance of winning.

The levels are all great and entertaining. They do look alike, at least for the area you are in, so that can sometimes mean there aren't too many memorable maps, but instead, just an area you like more than another due to just how it is :p Music in the game is fantastic. It is lively, different, and portrays the look of the level really well.

My only real gripe, is how you pick the races and maps. After each race, you can replay or return to pod. This means, that if you want to go to another level, you always have to exit out of that map, go into your pod, and then find the map you want out of the tons of different planets and levels on them.... they just really need to streamline this proccess more.

But it is a great game. Tons of ways to customize your racer and car just add to the goodies that this game has.

It's mario kart is a very basic form, with a little bells and whistles in just the right places.

I've heard the second last level in story mode is amazing, makes me interested to get the game just to see if so :p

Ignore everything in reviews about it. There seems to be this sanctity of mario kart that is making everyone hate anything that isn't it.

It's not that they hate anything that's simply not mario kart, it's that they hate anything that's not as good as mario kart. Cause let's be honest here, there hasn't been a non-mario kart racer quite as good as mario kart since Crash Team Racing on the ps1. And since it's said this is made by the same people that made modnation(which i thought was pretty subpar when i played it a while back), this title probably wont change that.