Sex workers too well-behaved to ban

Fed up with being the region's number one brothel hot spot, a Bavarian city council is discussing introducing a total ban on prostitution. The only problem: police say the city's many sex workers are too well-behaved to be forced out.

Amberg in Bavaria has the country's highest concentration of brothels, with 60 bordellos in a city of just 43,500 inhabitants, wrote the S?ddeutsche Zeitung on Friday.

And business is booming, according to solicitor Bernhard Mitko, who told the paper the number of prostitutes in Amberg is up 50 percent in the past 18 months. Now, in an attempt to clean up the city's image, local authorities now want to banish the city's sex workers, or at the very least impose a restricted area.

Florian Fuchs, head of the local Social Democrats (SPD), is sick of Amberg's reputation as ?number one brothel spot? in the region and, with the support of the City Council, is pushing for a total ban, wrote the paper.

The move comes after several residents complained of drunken customers ringing the wrong door bell late at night, houses losing value due to their proximity to the brothels, or even of being disturbed by loud noises coming through open windows in summer.

But an outright ban may be difficult to impose, particularly as the police have no such complaints and told the paper that Amberg's prostitutes are well-behaved and discrete. They have also raised concerns that criminalising the sex industry and driving it underground will cause more problems than it solves, wrote the paper.

more

Well, Bavarian chicks can be quite hot, can't blame them. :p

Anyhow, I think driving them out with local bans is just stupid and makes the whole town look stupid along the way.

I'd certainly rather go see a city that's known for brothels and its culture and sightseeing and landscape and what have you over a city that goes into history as uptight.

I see how the clients are causing them problems, then again, I think once a city is that much into the business, yes, it will be driven underground, the wrong people will be criminalized and well, guess what, the same drunken people will still walk around.

And if it's not thanks to their visits of prostitutes it's due to something else.

People get drunk, it's a reality.

Here's an idea: door bells that activate by time?

So no ringing possible from say midnight to 5 in the morning.

Sounds like a business idea to me (Y)

Glassed Silver:mac

The move comes after several residents complained of drunken customers ringing the wrong door bell late at night, houses losing value due to their proximity to the brothels, or even of being disturbed by loud noises coming through open windows in summer.

How many complained? 2 or 3.

• Like 1