Woman goes to doctor with backache, gives birth

When Kayleigh Renwick visited the doctors with agonising back ache, she assumed she had developed a kidney infection.

But just six hours later she was giving birth in hospital.

Unbeknown to the 24-year-old nursery nurse, from Stanley, County Durham, already a mum to daughter Grace, she was five weeks overdue.

Ms Renwick said she had not realised she was pregnant because she continued to have periods throughout her pregnancy and bizarrely had actually lost weight - dropping from a size 16 to a size 12 -14.

She said: 'You read about women not realising they were pregnant and think ?how did you not know??. I had no pram, no cot, nothing.

'I?d given it all away after Grace as was adamant we weren?t going to have another baby.'

Kayleigh, from Stanley, County Durham, felt pains in her back when she visited the park with her parter Daniel Madge and their two year-old daughter Grace in May this year.

At first she thought her back ache was caused by a kidney infection and visited an out-of-hours medical centre for medication.

Ms Renwick said she had not realised she was pregnant because she continued to have periods throughout her pregnancy and bizarrely, had actually lost weight

Ms Renwick said she had not realised she was pregnant because she continued to have periods throughout her pregnancy and bizarrely, had actually lost weight

But as she awaited the results of a routine urine test, a doctor asked her 'how far into your pregnancy are you?'

She said she wasn?t pregnant, but was sent to the University Hospital of North Durham for a scan.

She said: 'Just after 6pm I was seeing a doctor and by 7.30pm I was at the maternity ward having a scan.

'I couldn?t believe it. My body went into shock and I started throwing up. I had periods throughout the pregnancy and in February was sick a couple of times so did a pregnancy test and it came back negative. There were just no further symptoms.'

Lucy was born weighing 7lb 7ozs with very dry, cracked skin.

Midwives told Kayleigh when they?d delivered her placenta it had stopped working.

Kayleigh said: 'They didn?t know what Lucy had been surviving on and thought she was up to five weeks overdue.

'She was back-to-back and they think tucked behind my pelvis which is why I was getting the back ache.

Now six-months-old Lucy has been diagnosed with severe Brachycephaly and Plagiocephaly, commonly known as Flat Head Syndrome (FHS), causing her head to misshapen.

more

It's hard to believe things like this happen but apparently it does.

To be fair, women across the world give birth many, many times every hour so given the percentage of chances of this happening, I'd say it's pretty reasonable.

I don't understand how a NURSE did not figure out she was pregnant

Asymptomatic, or nearly so, pregnancies happen all the time - right down to negative pregnancy tests and small weight gains. Far more common than you'd think.

• 4 months later...

I agree with the both of you and that could be hard to the mother. Well, you need to go to the physician right away whenever you find out you are expecting. It may cost a cash advance, but at least you will have the peace of mind knowing your baby is secure and that you are taking care of it.

Edited by Chasethebase
Removed the link