intel socket cpu

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#16 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• 2,289 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:55

Guess those guys over there at AMD with their backhoe or shovel processors (i kid) will be our last hope!

#17 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• 1,172 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:13

Who cares.

As long as people can buy something that works better and faster.

#18 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

• 3,925 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:19

Hrrm-- Why not just go back with the SLOT concept-- You know that way there is still room for people to upgrade them....

#19 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,641 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:32

can you upgrade your phones processor? no, you buy a whole new phone. Disposable after 3 years or so...

#20 kjordan2001

kjordan2001

Mystery Solver

• 9,943 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:39

can you upgrade your phones processor? no, you buy a whole new phone. Disposable after 3 years or so...

That's what makes the desktop so powerful right now and why it won't go away for several years (or ever maybe). To a lesser extent you can upgrade a laptop too, but that's only up to the max memory and max CPU that the motherboard that it comes with will support.

#21 BitterPlutonium

BitterPlutonium

Neowinian

• 14 posts
  • Phone: HTC Mozart on Windows Phone 7.5

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:30

I really dont think this is gonna happen to all future CPUs offered by intel any time soon. The enthusiast market is too important for intel to drop. Something like this may happen in the low end/mid range market..but surely not across the entire spectrum.

#22 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:25

As a side effect, it also cuts the enthusiast out of the picture for good, but more on that later.

It's inevitable and I've seen it coming ever since learning about the size of PCs in the not so distant future.

It's a side effect of progress and miniaturization if I may which isn't a side effect at all since we'll get faster and lighter PCs.

Those who are stuck in the old days can continue to tinker with their old full tower, full of noise and dust rigs, while the rest of us will enjoy more power in a much smaller form factor.

However, being an enthusiast myself, I understand the negative sentiments here. And as a marketer, I can say with certainty that this decision has been driven purely by profits to make the customers upgrade their stuff faster = more profits for the corporate world.

#23 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:45

Ok then. While Semi-accurate spurts a lot of (anti-Intel) drivel (and going back to socket with Skylake absolutely makes no sense), exploitation of consumer stupidity truly knows no bounds. If that will prove to be remotely true, I'll probably be saving towards some many-socket server of the last generation, so that I can delay the glorious future for at least 10 years.

#24 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 1,741 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:55

Seriously, how many people actually upgrade their CPUs? 1 x 10-12 %?

I am still happy with my Core 2. If that was soldered on, what difference would it make? None at all in my case.

Processors have got to a point where even low end models are powerful enough for what I do (and even for some serious gaming, of course when combined with a good GPU).

#25 ekw

ekw

ͼ(͌͝-͚͌͜-͌)ͽ

• 363 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:03

Well its crossing the point where all of the pins/balls are becoming a bigger factor as bottlenecks for performance. It seems like the next step for intel to cut out the adaptability to squeeze more performance.

I don't see how people possibly upgrade their CPUs these days. I want to think not many people upgrade their CPUs as sockets keep changing and upgrades within a certain socket line is quite minimal in day to day performance.

Having intel swallow up the mobo industry just makes things cheaper and more reliable in the end anyway.

#26 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• 3,575 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:04

Seriously, how many people actually upgrade their CPUs? 1 x 10-12 %?

I am still happy with my Core 2. If that was soldered on, what difference would it make? None at all in my case.

Processors have got to a point where even low end models are powerful enough for what I do (and even for some serious gaming, of course when combined with a good GPU).

I have just upgraded my parents PC i built them years ago, at the time it was upgraded on the cheap so had a Dual Core Pentium @1.8ghz with 2gigs of ram. I recently purchased them a Core2Duo E8400 @ 3ghz and another 2gigs of ram for about £50.

The difference is night and day, yes i could have spent a lot more on a new PC for them, however whats the point when they can upgrade a perfectly working PC?

Choice is never bad.

#27 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 1,741 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:11

I have just upgraded my parents PC i built them years ago, at the time it was upgraded on the cheap so had a Dual Core Pentium @1.8ghz with 2gigs of ram. I recently purchased them a Core2Duo E8400 @ 3ghz and another 2gigs of ram for about £50.

The difference is night and day, yes i could have spent a lot more on a new PC for them, however whats the point when they can upgrade a perfectly working PC?

Choice is never bad.

When you upgraded to the Core 2, didn't you have to also change the motherboard (different CPU socket)?

#28 BattleDaggit

BattleDaggit

Neowinian

• 312 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:18

When you upgraded to the Core 2, didn't you have to also change the motherboard (different CPU socket)?

There were LGA 775 Pentium 4s and motherboards that used chipsets that would also handle Conroe and later CPUs.

#29 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:25

Upgrade is not the point. The ability to do so is. See, motherboards arrive dead or fail, I'd say, three orders of magnitude more than processors do. How it will be more reliable and cheaper to change the whole thing? For example: if my big huge motherboard with all bells and whistles dies, I can buy some entry level crap for 30 $/€ and still stuff 3770K in it and enjoy most if not all its capabilities. If my CPU dies, I can buy 30 $/€ worth Celeron G to get my system going.

Now, as some have already said, it will not end with CPU sockets. Systems will become integrated to teeth, just like smartshytes and schmablets have - unopenable, with no swappable batteries, no removable storage etc. What one has to do when they fail in the slightest? Send them to the nearest RMA center, and in most cases after a month (30 days being in the consumer law here) of couldn't-be-arsed-to-look-at-it they'll exchange it for a new device because nothing can be repaired regardless of the damage. If you were lucky enough to get the data out or keep a copy, that's it. I could just have my disk attached to another machine and keep going all the time. With a proper machine, if big huge RAM dies, I can put 10 $/€ ValueRAM 2 GB stick and keep going. If a discrete GPU dies, I can put the oldest PCI-E crap that barely moves bits around, but keep going.

Or welcome to the out-of-control generation...

#30 witalit

witalit

Always looking ahead..

• 2,399 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:06

Who cares.

As long as people can buy something that works better and faster.

Haha not really what I expect to hear on a tech site... who cares. Well I think most people on here would, its a very stupid idea and AMD are springing to mind.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!