intel socket cpu

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#31 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,754 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:06

Having intel swallow up the mobo industry just makes things cheaper and more reliable in the end anyway.

You are naevily assuming that intel will pass on cost reductions to the consumer!

#32 BattleDaggit

BattleDaggit

Neowinian

• 312 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:07

If this is true, then I will never buy or sell a product with an Intel CPU again while I have a choice.

#33 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:10

I knew when I first heard about this two weeks ago that someone would manage to skew the details in this way.

They're not looking to close off the desktop CPU market. They're looking at moving into embedded solutions as well as the LGA system that we have now.

They're not going to do away with LGA.

#34 BattleDaggit

BattleDaggit

Neowinian

• 312 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:15

There are several places reporting this news as though Intel will stop selling CPUs to the general public, motherboard manufacturers are doomed, and only large OEMs can build computers. If this is false, they should debunk this as soon as possible before it escalates. Lots of people appear to be ****ed.

#35 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,916 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:17

This can't be serious... surely.... :|

#36 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:19

Don't worry, it's for small form factor only.

They need the LGA for the normal form factors, and they will keep it. How do you want to put a 680 in a small form factor case with adequate cooling? You can't.

#37 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,418 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:28

This is FUD, intel has a commitment to make it's products with sockets because they have a responsibility to make devices upgradable for X amount of time so it's more environmentally friendly. They wouldn't suddenly do away with CPU sockets that'd go against that and have many governments up in arms sueing them and banning their products.

#38 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 12,042 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:31

Yup, Dell UK's model has gone global
YAY for AMD :D
(for now at least)

#39 AwayfromHere

AwayfromHere

Neowinian Senior

• 3,012 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z3

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:32

I want to think not many people upgrade their CPUs as sockets keep changing and upgrades within a certain socket line is quite minimal in day to day performance.

Funny. That's Intel for you.

AM3 is still rocking and AM3+ is getting at least 1 more gen of CPU's (That's 3 for you). I'm not even going to count how many lines of CPU's work on AM3.

#40 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:07

Can't see them phasing out socketed CPU's completely. Maybe they'll package some SoC stuff for OEM manufacturers but the enthusiast market is a big part of Intel's business, can't see them wanting to p*** that segment of the market off.

#41 Ilys

Ilys

Neowinian

• 120 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:06

[...]My guess is they want mainstream (current socket 1155 people) to move to SoC hardware, which is where this comes in. They know people with top end hardware based on socket 1366 and socket 2011 would NEVER move to SoC. Granted 1155 machines are damn powerful, but 2011 is really in another category when it comes to applications that require more cores etc...

I, personally, wouldn't mind going to SoC, as long as it is not soldered and allows me to upgrade the CPU. I'm currently using an ASUS Rampage III Extreme with a i7 980 and have no desire to upgrade in the next few years. My next upgrade will be when Intel move the southbridge on-die.

#42 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• 450 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:18

That's a load of BS, imo. Intel did made CPU that needed to be soldered to the motherboard, in the past. In the 286-386 era. The market is a completely different beast right now....

#43 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• 1,247 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:25

Haha not really what I expect to hear on a tech site... who cares. Well I think most people on here would, its a very stupid idea and AMD are springing to mind.

I am a enthusiast myself but I am not in a denial that we are the minority (<1%?). Also, pushing hardware just to get 1% extra juice is not worth it most of the times. If integrating things bring better performance, lower power requirements etc, I'd take those over 1-2% extra juice any day.

#44 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:33

Even if they did kill of the upgradable socket - there hasn't been a time in the last 5 years when I've been able to just replace the CPU without bothering about the motherboard. That started when I upgraded my old AMD to an Athlon X2 6000, then when I went from that to a core 2 duo, and then from that to my i7.

If they have to bundle the chip and motherboard together it'll probably be cheaper, but it might be a bit harder trying to find motherboard features that you want.

Still, I highly doubt they will just stop making LGA processors.

#45 SkyDX

SkyDX

Anime Computer Enthusiast^^

• 1,766 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:59

Well someone on another forum pointed out that this article appears to be a mistranslation and that only Broadway won't be receiving a socket-version, the generation afterwards will however^^ Apparently this was mentioned in the comments of the Semi-Accurate article and I would look for it but I have to go out soon^^