intel socket cpu

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#76 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,612 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 16:40

It has been pointed out (but I think some of you missed it) that the architecture following the one talked about in the article will be LGA also..

yeah, that's why I asked is this a laptop only line a few posts back

#77 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 16:41

well that's what I meant, their CPU division goes under

which? outside of thin systems, and laptops, and ultra low wattage systems, virtually all desktops are LGA type systems

Well, I should rephrase. I think AMD will focus more on APUs.

And, I think thin systems, laptops, and ultrabooks, etc make up the majority of the consumer PC market at this point. Even the desktops that are left are often all in ones, or come with barebones motherboards that don't support much in the way of upgrading.

#78 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

• 4,608 posts
  • Phone: hammerhead

Posted 27 November 2012 - 16:42

Yes, because Broadwell is only a notebook CPU, in 2014 it will still be Haswell in desktop and Broadwell in notebooks only.
Never trust google translate. Specially not from asian languages to english.

Broadwell will be LGA1150. Skylake and Skymont will be LGA based too: last 2 will have the PCH on the CPU package. Either ondie or shared like the Haswell/Broadwell ULT. Basicly meaning Mbs become downgraded connector boards only.

From some of the comments
This article says:

-- Intel will not provide new products for Desktop and non-BGA laptop segments in Broadwell era
-- Instead, they will provide higher clocked Haswell for those segments in 2014
-- Broadwell is "more than tick", and it will include some technologies that were previously planned for Skylake
-- This is because Intel needs to be more competitive in the tablet market, and this may mean the end of Tick-Tock strategy
-- It mentions nothing about Skylake and later or if they will be LGA or not for the desktop

So this sounds more like broadwell will be redesigned as pure mobile chip as intel skips tick/tock and the next "normal" cpu replacement will be skylake.

#79 carmatic

carmatic

oh cool i can change my member title

• 6,024 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 16:57

like someone already mentioned, not allowing us to choose the cpu seperately means that we are stuck with whatever CPU the OEM chooses to pair their mobo with... this would just be like buying laptops minus the portability or the energy efficiency

#80 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,856 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 17:03

like someone already mentioned, not allowing us to choose the cpu seperately means that we are stuck with whatever CPU the OEM chooses to pair their mobo with... this would just be like buying laptops minus the portability or the energy efficiency

And the chip in question is designed for portable devices..laptops, tablets, phones etc. Do you have a phone that you can upgrade your CPU in?

#81 deinabog

deinabog

Neowinian

• 97 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 17:17

This is an unsubstatiated rumor that was posted on Xbitlabs.com yesterday. It has not been confirmed.

#82 hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

GFX n00b

• 143 posts
  • Phone: iPhone

Posted 27 November 2012 - 17:22

It has been pointed out (but I think some of you missed it) that the architecture following the one talked about in the article will be LGA also..

Actually, the original article states that Haswell, & Broadwell, are both aimed towards the mobile (tablet) market
hence the SoC, ending the "Tick-Tock" product development Intel was known for...
yet nothing has been said/nor confirmed about Skylake which may still come under LGA

#83 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,573 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 27 November 2012 - 18:24

could this drive costs WAY WAY down? Manufacture's maybe would be able to not worry about Product #263 working with 1,000,000 possible parts from countless makers? Maybe get a 100% super tuned PC with I7 performance for $200 or so? Kind of like an pre-built console like XBOX for example having a case that can't (without voiding warranty) be opened.

#84 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,342 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 27 November 2012 - 19:12

Yes it will drive costs down for intel.
No it will not drive down costs for consumers.

#85 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 2,943 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 19:19

I wonder if this will be another one of those occasions where a company makes an enormous mistake that pushes their competition way ahead of them.

#86 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,877 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 19:25

Don't Intel force you to buy a new socket board for each new CPU release anyway?

Not always. Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge products operate with each other. Socket 478 lasted a fair while, as did LGA775. True it's becoming a bit more commonplace of late, but usually sockets last for at least 1 tick and 1 tock cycle.

#87 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,473 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 27 November 2012 - 19:36

I wonder if this will be another one of those occasions where a company makes an enormous mistake that pushes their competition way ahead of them.

I hope AMD makes a come back. :(

#88 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,617 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 19:49

if this rumor is true and if those CPUs where meant for the desktop/laptop market (hopefully not), it will be a regression instead of progress. I still remember the days of 286 and 386 and they where a pain in the butt to upgrade.

Posted Image

#89 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,612 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 20:42

if this rumor is true and if those CPUs where meant for the desktop/laptop market (hopefully not), it will be a regression instead of progress. I still remember the days of 286 and 386 and they where a pain in the butt to upgrade.

Posted Image

Actually, those PLCC chips where pretty easy to replace, you just needed a grabber tool to pull them out... only problem wasn't too many options to go to

#90 hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

• 155 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:31

Intel kills off the desktop, PCs go with it. What will we do if we can't upgrade our rigs?

http://semiaccurate....pcs-go-with-it/

Oh jolly. What a great world it would be when everything becomes as closed and unyeilding as apple. We might have to thank them for this devolopment if this is true.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!