intel socket cpu

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#91 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,715 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:34

Oh jolly. What a great world it would be when everything becomes as closed and unyeilding as apple. We might have to thank them for this devolopment if this is true.

oh heck go back to the days where it was "not allowed" to even open your case up.... they use to put security seals and all kind of fun stuff in them to stop you... ahh the IBM lease days...

#92 hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

• 155 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:41

oh heck go back to the days where it was "not allowed" to even open your case up.... they use to put security seals and all kind of fun stuff in them to stop you... ahh the IBM lease days...

Yea I do remember that but Apple does it with everything! The hardware, the software heck even the shapes of their devices!

#93 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,691 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:43

Yea I do remember that but Apple does it with everything! The hardware, the software heck even the shapes of their devices!

if you owned a manufacturing company, you would prefer your stuff not to be opened up either. Notice I say "prefer". When people open it up, it compounds the mess-it-up likelihood..

#94 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:44

I've taken apart most of my Macs at one point or another. They're not that locked down, although it's a bit ludicrous to upgrade anything but the memory on an iMac.

#95 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

• 1,029 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:44

Oh jolly. What a great world it would be when everything becomes as closed and unyeilding as apple. We might have to thank them for this devolopment if this is true.

Actually I'm pretty sure Intel has looked at it's sales figures and confirmed the truth that in the vast majority of cases, even enthusiasts rarely change their CPU's without changing the motherboards. So it really does make sense to combine them rather than sell them separately.

The results could be quite interesting, and any change to the PC H/W arena is exciting over same old/same old.

#96 hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

• 155 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:51

Actually I'm pretty sure Intel has looked at it's sales figures and confirmed the truth that in the vast majority of cases, even enthusiasts rarely change their CPU's without changing the motherboards. So it really does make sense to combine them rather than sell them separately.

The results could be quite interesting, and any change to the PC H/W arena is exciting over same old/same old. It's just process...

I've taken apart most of my Macs at one point or another. They're not that locked down, although it's a bit ludicrous to upgrade anything but the memory on an iMac.

if you owned a manufacturing company, you would prefer your stuff not to be opened up either. Notice I say "prefer". When people open it up, it compounds the mess-it-up likelihood..

I think you guys aren't getting the full meaning of what I am trying to say, Apple does not just not want you not to open up the hardware. They don't want you to do anything at all, the operating system is closed and unyeilding, their software and well just about everything they do is closed. Heck they don't even want you to think. Just return the product becuase your unable to do anything with it and they swindle you out of even more money.

#97 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:03

I think you guys aren't getting the full meaning of what I am trying to say, Apple does not just not want you not to open up the hardware. They don't want you to do anything at all, the operating system is closed and unyeilding, their software and well just about everything they do is closed. Heck they don't even want you to think. Just return the product becuase your unable to do anything with it and they swindle you out of even more money.

I take it you've never used a Mac before. :laugh:

#98 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:05

If you look back, upgrading a processor is not that beneficial anymore, because to achieve real performance gains, you actually have to change everything: from motherboard, to RAM and storage.

Also, I think the cost will go down significantly.

This is a great move from Intel, regarding the consumer and performance market. But of course enthusiast won't be happy: they're actually never happy with anything they got anyway. :p

#99 hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

• 155 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:07

I take it you've never used a Mac before. :laugh:

Actually Im a graphic designer I had a mac for many years! ;P lol

#100 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,364 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:14

If you look back, upgrading a processor is not that beneficial anymore, because to achieve real performance gains, you actually have to change everything: from motherboard, to RAM and storage.

Also, I think the cost will go down significantly.

What?
http://www.techspot....770k/page4.html
Techspot and every review site says you are wrong.

Cost will go down significantly, why? Why does intel want to save you money? What benefit does that give intel? Please do tell me.

#101 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:24

What?
http://www.techspot....770k/page4.html
Techspot and every review site says you are wrong.

Cost will go down significantly, why? Why does intel want to save you money? What benefit does that give intel? Please do tell me.

Actually it is being hard to understand what exactly you don't understand. Anyway... The cost will go down because Intel will be able to sell the motherboard and the processor, gaining a lot of scale. Also... if manufacturing prices are lowered, Intel will be able to lower prices for consumers, which are definitely looking for other options, like tablets. And tablets can't change processors, can they?

#102 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,364 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:27

Intel is a company, companies like to make money, what kind of business would undercut themselves to save you money and make them lose money?
If manufacturing prices are lowered, they'll keep prices the same and pocket the extra cash!

#103 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:45

Intel is a company, companies like to make money, what kind of business would undercut themselves to save you money and make them lose money?
If manufacturing prices are lowered, they'll keep prices the same and pocket the extra cash!

Not if there's a threat the size of (of an) ARM running for them. :)

#104 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,364 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 23:20

ARM is threatening their tablet/mobile side, ARM does not pose a threat to intel's desktop/server side.
ARM is pretty efficient but for that their trade-off is having very bad performance. Intel has high performance at the trade-off of having low energy efficiency.

#105 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:52

All I can say is go AMD.