intel socket cpu

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#106 qdave

qdave

Neowinian Senior

• 16,159 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:56

I dont see it as a big issue actually. Example: right now i have asus p7p55 with core i7 750. If i want an upgrade i'll have to get another mobo and another cpu. The same was for other pc's i've build.

#107 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:24

Actually Im a graphic designer I had a mac for many years! ;P lol

A graphic designer using Adobe products (not installed through the app store) on a Mac?

LOCKDOWN. :laugh:

#108 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,397 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:14

It will be interesting to see what their rationale is behind the decision because this idea was floated by Sun a few years ago to get around a technical limitation but I'm surprised that we've hit it so soon.

As for enthusiasts - don't think too highly of your position given the bulk of sales certainly don't go to you or I.

#109 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,625 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:31

Intel kills off the desktop, PCs go with it. What will we do if we can't upgrade our rigs?

http://semiaccurate....pcs-go-with-it/

I've kiboshed this on two other *tech* sites - now it's Neowin's turn.

They are referring specifically to Broadwell, which is the upcoming replacement to Atom/Cedar Trail/Clover Trail. Atom ships only in BGA packaging today.

The ONLY reference to Broadwell in the mainstream space is if - and ONLY if - devices supplant desktops as the mainstream; as it is, the earliest THAT would happen is late second half of 2015 (according to the leaked roadmap from Intel RoC).

Broadwell is, in fact, based on Haswell; however, it is NOT the planned *desktop* version of the technology! The desktop version is Lynx Point, and will succeed Ivy Bridge (*tock* - remember, Ivy Bridge itself is a *tick*)

There will also be a Haswell-EX (the successor to Sandy Bridge-E as well as XEON based on SB-E) and will be in LGA2011 or a successor socket thereof.

It is NOT known (or even speculated) whether Lynx Point will require a new socket.

#110 carmatic

carmatic

oh cool i can change my member title

• 6,024 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:17

It is NOT known (or even speculated) whether Lynx Point will require a new socket.

that is good to know

i think there would come a point where 'enthusiast' and 'mainstream' are more clearly seperated... as in, enthusiasts are not going to be using simply faster versions of mainstream things since 'mainstream' is now about tablets and portability, but rather things which are more based on enterprise/professional stuff , like workstations and servers and those kinds of things

#111 hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

• 155 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:00

A graphic designer using Adobe products (not installed through the app store) on a Mac?

LOCKDOWN. :laugh:

No I used to use mac, then I woke up. ;)

#112 grik

grik

Neowinian

• 804 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:03

I have no problem, even being an enthusiast as long as they lower the Board+CPU price, its fine by me.

I wont leave Intel for AMD, nor 90% of those who are saying that they will.

#113 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,726 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:14

I have no problem, even being an enthusiast as long as they lower the Board+CPU price, its fine by me.

I wont leave Intel for AMD, nor 90% of those who are saying that they will.

if you had to combine the board and CPU the price might actually go up! now the MB mfg has to account for the different CPU speeds and models for every motherboard they make... right now we can put in what we want into a generic board that supports that line... they are moving the config from two options from intel + mb mfg to who knows how many boards from a single seller... which they have to stock, inventory themselves, etc..... and now the MB mfg is responsible if the CPU doesn't work.... putting more cost on them

#114 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,365 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:15

Not only that but to test if the system works you have to test a motherboard with a CPU soldered to it, if there's any problems with the BGA points on it, the whole motherboard and CPU will need scrapping. For a refund or reuse the CPU will need to be desoldered from the board and sent back to intel (costs of shipping and desoldering and testing) and if it's reused, you will be getting a motherboard + CPU bundle that's in theory a second hand CPU.

Anyway, this is all unproven rumour and wouldn't make any sense. Dell and intel were told by the US government years ago to make their desktop systems more upgradable to be more environmental, I don't think they'll suddenly stop that and **** the government off some how.

#115 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,726 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:41

Not only that but to test if the system works you have to test a motherboard with a CPU soldered to it, if there's any problems with the BGA points on it, the whole motherboard and CPU will need scrapping. For a refund or reuse the CPU will need to be desoldered from the board and sent back to intel (costs of shipping and desoldering and testing) and if it's reused, you will be getting a motherboard + CPU bundle that's in theory a second hand CPU.

Anyway, this is all unproven rumour and wouldn't make any sense. Dell and intel were told by the US government years ago to make their desktop systems more upgradable to be more environmental, I don't think they'll suddenly stop that and **** the government off some how.

and could you imagine 1000+ BGA solder points on a high wattage processor? those things *can* get hot. at least laptop lines are designed to be cooler to prevent this due to clock throttleing and other methods.... at least with LGA you can pop it out and see a bend hook and say yeah my socket is shot... BGA can fracture from heat changes over time

#116 grik

grik

Neowinian

• 804 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:46

Lets wait for confirmation and prices, dont jump to conclusions. If its that bad for business they will change this supposed path. Intel normally makes things the right way, i cant imagine doing bad at this point of evolution.

#117 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,675 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 16:53

Actually, those PLCC chips where pretty easy to replace, you just needed a grabber tool to pull them out... only problem wasn't too many options to go to

not only that but...IRQ nightmare as well! But that's not the point; the point here is that no one want's a PC market with less choice. Also if this technology would come to the PC space (instead of mobile/tablet) the cost of mainboards would not only rise (mainboard + cpu) but the RMA would be a serious problem for the costumer (one problem with the mainboard = new expensive mainboard with CPU). Also the mainboard selection array would be smaller, due to costs for the mainboards OEM, reflecting in a smaller choices for the costumer.

Again that would be a massive backwards decision and will be like returning to the 80's and 90's.

interesting that home consoles are getting more and more PC look a like (as well Arcades).

#118 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:17

I'm not sure less choice is a bad thing, per se. I mean there's 6 Sandy Bridge and 6 Ivy Bridge chipsets, and X number of boards from each manufacturer, but a lot of them are junk, and a lot shouldn't even be on the enthusiast market,

#119 deinabog

deinabog

Neowinian

• 97 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:23

I've kiboshed this on two other *tech* sites - now it's Neowin's turn.

They are referring specifically to Broadwell, which is the upcoming replacement to Atom/Cedar Trail/Clover Trail. Atom ships only in BGA packaging today.

The ONLY reference to Broadwell in the mainstream space is if - and ONLY if - devices supplant desktops as the mainstream; as it is, the earliest THAT would happen is late second half of 2015 (according to the leaked roadmap from Intel RoC).

Broadwell is, in fact, based on Haswell; however, it is NOT the planned *desktop* version of the technology! The desktop version is Lynx Point, and will succeed Ivy Bridge (*tock* - remember, Ivy Bridge itself is a *tick*)

There will also be a Haswell-EX (the successor to Sandy Bridge-E as well as XEON based on SB-E) and will be in LGA2011 or a successor socket thereof.

Thank you for posting this. I was tired of responding to the threads of various sites, including this one, that the information was misinterpretated and a rumor at best.

#120 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:24

ARM is threatening their tablet/mobile side, ARM does not pose a threat to intel's desktop/server side.
ARM is pretty efficient but for that their trade-off is having very bad performance. Intel has high performance at the trade-off of having low energy efficiency.

You have too little knowledge of how things work in business. Maybe you're not even 18, for god's sake. But if you're, please give up.