• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,799 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 13:48

http://www.gizmodo.c...-in-good-hands/

Excellent review. But after reading it it seems that the Wii-U and Nintendo in general are a generation behind.
They have the power to make something really good and innovative, but the Wii-U won't sell anywhere near what the PS4 and Xbox3 will.

I'm no Nintendo fanboy at all, but have you looked at this gen's sales?

#17 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,963 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 01 December 2012 - 14:57

Nintendo will continue to have a successful business model appealing to casual gamers, those on a budget and children, while Microsoft and Sony will continue to push graphical advancements and core-gaming. They are going after very different segments of the market.

Still, it's bizarre that Nintendo would come out and make such a claim when even casual observers of the market can see that's simply not the case. With the Wii, Nintendo had a surprise hit on their hands because of compelling emergent gameplay but that was almost entirely due to Wii Sports and Wii Fit - very few other games sold in any quantities and the attach-rate was considerably lower than that of Sony and Microsoft. With the Wii U it's clear that Nintendo is desperately trying to recreate the success of the Wii but it's just not as compelling an offering - tablet gameplay has already been done before (much better as well) and it's always going to be an uphill struggle promoting asymmetric gameplay due to the fact it requires multiple players.

I'd be very surprised if Nintendo had anywhere near as much success as they did with the Wii. It looks more like a 3DS-style failure.

#18 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,201 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 21:05

The Mario launch title alone, is just total fail! We want a Mario game that will WOW us like Mario Galaxy did for the Wii and Mario 64 did for the Nintendo 64....and the Mario launch title for the wii u? What is this crap!?

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,227 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 01 December 2012 - 21:47

actually I think you'll find that there are more people who want classical mario gameplay than the stupid 3D crap they started with with the wannabe 3D consoles and kept going with.

#20 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,850 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 December 2012 - 21:58

Aren't they selling Wii U at loss this time? I guess they need to catch up with Sony/MS in software sales not the other way round.

#21 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 17,212 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 01 December 2012 - 23:35

The Mario launch title alone, is just total fail! We want a Mario game that will WOW us like Mario Galaxy did for the Wii and Mario 64 did for the Nintendo 64....and the Mario launch title for the wii u? What is this crap!?

actually I think you'll find that there are more people who want classical mario gameplay than the stupid 3D crap they started with with the wannabe 3D consoles and kept going with.

Yeah, just as hawkMan points out, I have to respectfully disagree with you warwagon. I think the new Super Mario U is just fine exactly as it is.
Letting my wife watch whatever TV she wants, and having the option to play the game on the GamePad, well from my perspective, it does not get much better.
Now I fully admit I just do not have time to dedicate towards playing video games like I once did, however I really think I would feel the same exact way that I do even if I was playing games 8 hours a day.

So now that I have just 1 day had over a week of hands on time with the WiiU, I do pretty much understand what he is saying with this comment.
I do also think it needs to be stated that people are reading way to much into the comment as well.

Obviously the PS4 and NextBox are going to be graphically superior to the WiiU, everyone knows this.
However with the addition of the WiiU, Nintendo has added an additional layer to console gaming when it is used properly.
So all he is saying is now Sony & Microsoft need to do the same.

Now what he fails to mention is naturally MS has Kinect, which I think it is a pretty safe bet to say is going to be deeply integrated into the next XBox experience, so MS they have it.
I highly doubt Sony is going to consider Move to be their additional experience, but I also think that perhaps they may not come up with anything else along these lines, and just keep it more traditional. Wether this winds up hurting them or not remains to be seen, but I do think there are those people who will still want just the pure untampered gaming experience of just a controller. At least for the foreseeable future. I really think a whole lot depends on if MS makes Kinect something next level or not.

So yeah, at the end of the day he was pretty much talking out of his ass, but this is what the heads of companies do, make their company seem to be the one that is running things.

#22 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,201 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 23:37

I have to respectfully disagree with you warwagon. I think the new Super Mario U is just fine exactly as it is.
Letting my wife watch whatever TV she wants, and having the option to play the game on the GamePad, well from my perspective, it does not get much better.
Now I fully admit I just do not have time to dedicate towards playing video games like I once did, however I really think I would feel the same exact way that I do even if I was playing games 8 hours a day.

ya it looks good, but it looks just a little better than the wii version. it doesn't look next gen. I wouldn't buy a wii U just to play it.

#23 Doli

Doli

Goo ball

• 7,494 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 23:53

The new 2D Mario game looks ok but I don't see any of the charm that Mario 3 and Super Mario World had when they came out. It was good on the Wii but then came New Super Mario Bros. for the DS and New Super Mario Bros.2 and they kind of look the same. I don't want Paper Mario to be the only 2D Mario game where they try different things. They can still have the 2D Mario formula but bring something new. I will get a Wii U later on and I hope I am wrong about this game.

#24 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,963 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:30

ya it looks good, but it looks just a little better than the wii version. it doesn't look next gen. I wouldn't buy a wii U just to play it.

I hadn't actually checked out any gameplay footage before today, and you're right - it doesn't even look like X360/PS3 gen. Very disappointing. And Wii Fit U looks barely any different from Wii Fit - not what you'd expect for a generation leap. Unfortunately developers are complaining that the CPU in the Wii U is considerably slower than that of the current gen consoles, so it looks like another under-specced console from Nintendo that will struggle to remain relevant. It seems to be on par with the X360/PS3, which are chronically dated in comparison to the PC.

The tablet-controller was a desperate gamble to recreate the success of the Wii and I really don't think it will pay off. For starters, Nintendo is having to sell the console at a loss which is something it didn't do with the Wii. Unless Nintendo can dramatically increase the software attach rate it will be sidelined by the main publishers.

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,227 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:24

Black ops comparisons basically say the games either look identical or slightly worse on the wii, BUT the wii suffers from frame drops and lower frame rate during the whole game than the tether older consoles.

As for the tablet, I share the opinion of several reviewers. When it's doing things you can do just as well or better by hitting a button on the controller or using the sticks, then it's turning into a gimmick. This basically describes all of ZombieU. A game that would have been just as good if not better with a regular controller and would have worked exactly the same. Except you wouldn't have split immersion across two screens for no purpose whatsoever.

#26 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,461 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:29

reggie is one ugly mug.... LOL....

he makes internet explorer 7 crash hard once. he will revive netscape from the dead.

#27 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,542 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:56

I'm no Nintendo fanboy at all, but have you looked at this gen's sales?

Im not talking about sales, im referring to the general tech in the machines. They already feel dated.

#28 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• 6,298 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:29

Nintendo do have a point, the Wii lagged behind the PS3/X360 pretty badly yet it managed to not only keep up with them but surpassed them. Kinect/PS Move are direct reactions to the Wii's innovative motion control system. So yes, consumers don't just care about who has the prettier graphics and they [Nintendo] do set the trend (MS are already trying to replicate the WiiU tablet controller with the X360 and the rumoured Xbox 7" Surface tablet suggest MS plans to take this integration one step further).

However, Nintendo shouldn't be getting too cocky. MS/Sony aren't going to let them just walk over them again and I expect both parties to offer much more complete offerings this time (since the Kinect/PS Move were knee jerk reactions over the immense popularity of the Wii motion controller, which both MS/Sony said would fall flat on it's face - they won't make that mistake again!). Nintendo's dominance this time is not assured and getting cocking this early will only end with them getting mud on their faces (look what happened to Sony with the PS3, they were so sure it would dominate like the PS2...). That is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

#29 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:34

Black ops comparisons basically say the games either look identical or slightly worse on the wii, BUT the wii suffers from frame drops and lower frame rate during the whole game than the tether older consoles.

From what I've read the only frame drops happen if you play Co-op mode with one person on the TV and one person on the gamepad at same time.

#30 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,607 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:05

What frustrates me the most isn't Nintendo releasing underpowered hardware, or a controller which I have no real use for (just like my motion controls), it's their innability to conform to standards and support proprietary codecs/media that hardly costs anything (Blu Ray/Dolby Digital).

The standards part is mostly a dig at their online network, especially as of late the console accounts activation mess. You would of thought Nintendo as a fellow Japanese company would've studied how Sony had to conform to a better online infastructure.

They get constantly excused or apology slavered because it's the Nintendo way, or the Wii U is treated as a unique beast compared to Sony/MS offerings - IMO though there are simply certain categories that you're up to scratch with competition or aren't, not much room for apologies, especially not after seeing how Sony had to learn from bad decisions and mistakes surrounding PSN.

So Reggie, I don't take much from your words and will predict it will be some of Nintendo's prehistoric mindsets being questioned when the PS4/Next Xbox launch. That is of course unless Sony/MS do something really really craptastic.