Anyone starting to hate tech ecosystems ?

Just a recent thought. All the big players, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon etc. have their ecosystems but with each passing day the walls are closing in even if they do appear open in some ways and of course you don't have to stay within one but I think they are making the choice less easy, you get one service, you get them all approach whether you want them or not. I can see the benefits of these ecosystems as they try to make it seamless and improve how they work with other parts of the company line up but I feel something is being lost, features and choice. A bit of a circle jerk rather than doing anything innovative. Proping up what already exists with intergration. I worry not a lot is going to burst out of these ecosystems and is just there to lock you in if they can and the more time goes by the better they are at doing this. I don't think anyone is a saint in this.

I doubt many share the same thoughts as you. Many people like the ecosystem concept because everything is built-in right into the operating system. From one point of view, the less choices there are, the decision to pick something is much simpler. And 'simple' is everything now.

But of course, as you said, one the user invest their time into one operating system, he/she will be less likely to move to another.

Just a recent thought. All the big players, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon etc. have their ecosystems but with each passing day the walls are closing in even if they do appear open in some ways and of course you don't have to stay within one but I think they are making the choice less easy, you get one service, you get them all approach whether you want them or not. I can see the benefits of these ecosystems as they try to make it seamless and improve how they work with other parts of the company line up but I feel something is being lost, features and choice. A bit of a circle jerk rather than doing anything innovative. Proping up what already exists with intergration. I worry not a lot is going to burst out of these ecosystems and is just there to lock you in if they can and the more time goes by the better they are at doing this. I don't think anyone is a saint in this.

Damn like I said in another thread, we Apple to thank for that.

This is what caused some of the jitters with game developers and Windows 8, Microsoft starting to create there wall garden and fear that windows will be locked to the store down the road.