Adblock Plus for Android available

Adblock Plus launches on Android to block ads in apps and on the Web, no rooting required

Adblock Plus, a forked version of Adblock, today released version 1.0 of its free native Android app. You can download the app now from the official Google Play store (Android 2.1+ required).

You can also download the .apk directly from AdBlockPlus.org and install it manually. If you do, however, you won?t get automatic updates, which are particularly important when it comes to blocking ads (as the sites that serve them are regularly changed).

Android users will of course be very pleased with the news, but third-party Android developers likely won?t. Ads are a big source of revenue for most app makers, and the biggest for many.

The announcement isn?t up yet on AdBlockPlus.org, but when it is we will update you with any additional information. In the meantime, the about page describes the new release as an app ?that works in background and filters web traffic according to standard Adblock Plus rules.?

Despite this, you still have to run the app at least once to perform the first-time configuration setup. Either way, you?ll want to play around with the settings to make tailor the ad blocker to your needs.

The app has three major modes:

• If device is rooted then it will be able to filter common web traffic without any change to network settings. In this mode it can filter both mobile and Wi-Fi traffic.
  • On non-rooted devices running Android 3.1 and higher Adblock Plus will also filter web traffic automatically, here it can only intercept Wi-Fi traffic however.
  • For non-rooted devices running Android 3.0 and older Adblock Plus needs to be configured as a proxy server manually. Some devices do not support setting a proxy server, Adblock Plus for Android will not work on these devices.

Today?s release means Ad Block Plus is now available on Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Android. It is also coming to Internet Explorer and Safari.

See also ? Adblock Plus for Chrome now unblocks certain ads by default; Here?s how to block them again and Ads no more: Adblock Plus for Opera 12.10 goes live

Source: The Next Web

Thanks for the heads up, using AdFree on my rooted One X but I'll give this a go since I've been noticing some adds the past week or 2

EDIT: Hope they add an option to remove the icon from the Notification bar, other than that it's worked fine on sites I quickly tested it on :)

let me try to understand this correctly: some of you want to use apps given to you free of charge with the expectation that they will make the cost back through ads that you are intending on blocking? Why not just buy the paid version to avoid the ads?

In gingerbread wifi controls lack the proxy setting needed for this :(

gingerbread ? really

Thanks for the heads up, using AdFree on my rooted One X but I'll give this a go since I've been noticing some adds the past week or 2

EDIT: Hope they add an option to remove the icon from the Notification bar, other than that it's worked fine on sites I quickly tested it on :)

yea i hope so too thats annoying as hell

let me try to understand this correctly: some of you want to use apps given to you free of charge with the expectation that they will make the cost back through ads that you are intending on blocking? Why not just buy the paid version to avoid the ads?

Does it filter ads in apps or just common web traffic?

really.. my phone won't support anything higher.... can't afford a new one....

Neither did mine, but CM10 to the rescue! JB rocks! (Sporting a Galaxy S here, lol) Thanks for letting me know about adblock, though! (Y)

Not all apps have an ad-free paid version, which is annoying as yes, I'd much rather pay to support the developer than put up with annoying ads that take up valuable screen space.

And no, I'm not using this ad-blocker.

Think I read somewhere that the blocked ads are downloaded anyway, just pushed elsewhere (to adblock's servers?) Not good for the limited mobile data caps we have, unless someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

AdAway does the job so far though, uses the already existing HOSTS file in Android to stop any ads from being downloaded.

AdAway does the job so far though, uses the already existing HOSTS file in Android to stop any ads from being downloaded.

I will be checking this out. Thanks.

Sweet :)

Wonder if I can side load this to my Logitech Revue.

I will be checking this out. Thanks.

There's also adfree (free app) that alter's the host files https://play.google.....android.adfree however, I thought it required root access ?

It works well but came across 1 or 2 apps that just goes crazy with it enabled.