Photo

Windows 8 Sales are actually Amazing - 40 million sold

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#211 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:43

Actually, there's a couple ways to disable notifications from the Messaging app.

They're listed right under "PC Settings, and "Notifications". Makes sense right?

Posted Image

Also, you're wrong about not being able to turn it off. You can also disable the Messaging app right inside the app itself.

Posted Image

thanks for the tip.. but isn't that just a tad cryptic? Why isn't the setting attached to the program? Why is it in the freaking control panel? As I said. Poor design, Poor Workflow.

#212 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:55

You can change it from within the app too under Settings -> Permissions, same applies to any app that pops up notifications.

#213 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:49

You can change it from within the app too under Settings -> Permissions, same applies to any app that pops up notifications.

yeah. I just realized that too. I'd never looked in the permissions tab because I thought it was the same as every other OS... that it would be permissions for file access and execution for different users and groups. it's just yet another example of poor execution. The word "permissions" have been used in OSs in one way for decades and suddenly we're using it in a completely different way which should be handles in the normal settings

#214 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:12

What? Putting an option to turn off notifications in the notifications sections of the pc settings is cryptic?

Do you also find it cryptic that you have to go to My Computer to see your drives?

#215 Kyang

Kyang

Posted 10 December 2012 - 16:45

thanks for the tip.. but isn't that just a tad cryptic? Why isn't the setting attached to the program? Why is it in the freaking control panel? As I said. Poor design, Poor Workflow.

You're welcome.

I think it makes sense to manage notifications from the system using the system's control panel. I also think it's not so much poor workflow as it is predictable workflow, which is actually pretty good, unless one considers predictability in a workflow bad (And I acknowledge, some might think so for whatever reason.). Now the user can manage the notifications of any application from one place, no matter the app.

This, as opposed to navigating the different settings layouts of different apps. Doing it that way did work before, but I think this is better.

#216 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

Posted 10 December 2012 - 17:13

yeah. I just realized that too. I'd never looked in the permissions tab because I thought it was the same as every other OS... that it would be permissions for file access and execution for different users and groups. it's just yet another example of poor execution. The word "permissions" have been used in OSs in one way for decades and suddenly we're using it in a completely different way which should be handles in the normal settings

It seems that you are just angry at MS from changing things up. You have to re learn how to do certain things and you are not happy about that.
Everything you complained about in the last few posts are all things that were possible in the OS but you just do them differently then in Win7.

So it all comes down again to not liking change.

#217 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 00:09

So it all comes down again to not liking change.

Change is one thing, screwing with what has worked for years just to grab a slice of the mobile market, is another. Choice of whether to use that god damn awful UI would have been preferable, and more widely accepted by the good majority of Desktop users. There would have been no harm in doing so, pleasing both types of user, those who love it, and those who hate it, instead of ramming it down peoples throats regardless. After all, its really two UI's miss-mashed together to form a monster that Frankenstein would have been well proud of anyway.

#218 I am Not PCyr

I am Not PCyr

Neowinian

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:18

Change is one thing, screwing with what has worked for years just to grab a slice of the mobile market, is another. Choice of whether to use that god damn awful UI would have been preferable, and more widely accepted by the good majority of Desktop users. There would have been no harm in doing so, pleasing both types of user, those who love it, and those who hate it, instead of ramming it down peoples throats regardless. After all, its really two UI's miss-mashed together to form a monster that Frankenstein would have been well proud of anyway.

well said..

And i wanna add that i think if they gave the UI option it would have been smart because
it would have provided a transition to what we all must agree is drastic and major change(s)
if you think about that with out just writing me off and ignoring me, i think people would see
the oportunity with the idea that many people could transition at their own pace and for Microsoft's point of view
they would have the product in peoples hands AND still have a sale with the customer !
I could dig deeper into that concept but ir REALLY should go with out saying..

I usually see (@neowin) comments like if you don't like it (Win 8) then shut up and jump off a bridge etc
and i see some guys here making excuses as to why any and all decisions on a product should be left to the company
because they know whats best and its bad business to give customers what they want in the long run..
I want to remind the so called "vocal majority" that M$ is not in a position to tell their cutomer base
that if they don't like it then shut up and quit complaining and don't use it. They are a business trying to sell a product
and lets face it people, most of us are ALREADY existing customers so this boils down to convincing existing users
corp or private they should upgrade. Sadly M$ has little competition other wise there would be some other companies
out there with a massive grin on their face ready willing and able to pounch on this oportunity..Its basic business sense..
if a company x won't give people what they want then company z will step in (gladly) and give peopel what they want and make $

I can't fathom the endless stream of bull that roll out of fanboys and cheerleaders mouths.. 99.9% seems like insane excuses
desperatly grasping at straws to defend windows 8 at any cost, like their lives depend on it or something.
Like a PR dept. trying to make a train accident that killed people seem not so bad ! and yeah i used that analogy for a reaon..
Windows 8 is a train wreck !

This story and just about anything we here about windows 8 is a dramatised load of propaganda..
The sales are close enough thta the difference means nothing.. there is no huge massive difference.
Also things like the many people that are always claiming WIndows 8 is way faster (never stated with facts of any kind)
And lets face it at best WIndows 8 is aprox the same as windows 7 in speed terms in various factors
and when Windows 8 IS faster is not by much, proving all the people wrong who say its some revolutionary dramatic difference.
Once again people say crap like that because they WANT to push their agenda and reality will not get in there way !

Its not about running around the net spreading windows 8 hate
it's about keeping things real !
It bothers me when people spread misinformation on the net regardless of the topic.
So yeah i dislike windows 8 but i have nothing against people that want to use it.
That is not what peeople are always trying to draw people like me into.
The core concept isn't that bad an idea and for many people the concept is an ideal solution for improvement etc.
But to make a sweeping major change and then force it on everyone is dumb,
EVEN if the new changes were not ugly or a functionality nightmare.

We can try and supress the complainers or over shadow them with stories like this but it won't change what is.
Reality is what it is and I see a TON of people having a lot of complaints with this "high" selling OS.
Too many for symantecs to really mean anything. the writing is on the wall and cheerleaders or fanboys are gonna
have to face facts eventually whether they like it not..

#219 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:45

well said..

And i wanna add that i think if they gave the UI option it would have been smart because
it would have provided a transition to what we all must agree is drastic and major change(s)
if you think about that with out just writing me off and ignoring me, i think people would see
the oportunity with the idea that many people could transition at their own pace and for Microsoft's point of view
they would have the product in peoples hands AND still have a sale with the customer !

I usually see (@neowin) comments like if you don't like it (Win 8) then shut up and jump off a bridge etc
and i see some guys here making excuses as to why any and all decisions on a product should be left to the company
because they know whats best and its bad business to give customers what they want in the long run..
I want to remind the so called "vocal majority" that M$ is not in a position to tell their cutomer base
that if they don't like it then shut up and quit complaining and don't use it. They are a business trying to sell a product
and lets face it people, most of us are ALREADY existing customers so this boils down to convincing existing users
corp or private they should upgrade. Sadly M$ has little competition other wise there would be some other companies
out there with a massive grin on their face ready willing and able to pounch on this oportunity..Its basic business sense..
if a company x won't give people what they want then company z will step in (gladly) and give peopel what they want and make $

I can't fathom the endless stream of bull that roll out of fanboys and cheerleaders mouths.. 99.9% seems like insane excuses
desperatly grasping at straws to defend windows 8 at any cost, like their lives depend on it or something.
Like a PR dept. trying to make a train accident that killed people seem not so bad ! and yeah i used that analogy for a reaon..

This story and just about anything we here about windows 8 is a dramatised load of propaganda..
The sales are close enough thta the difference means nothing.. there is no huge massive difference.
Also things like the many people that are always claiming WIndows 8 is way faster (never stated with facts of any kind)
And lets face it at best WIndows 8 is aprox the same as windows 7 in speed terms in various factors
and when Windows 8 IS faster is not by much, proving all the people wrong who say its some revolutionary dramatic difference.
Once again people say crap like that because they WANT to push their agenda and reality will not get in there way !

It bothers me when people spread misinformation on the net regardless of the topic.
So yeah i dislike windows 8 but i have nothing against people that want to use it.
The core concept isn't that bad an idea and for many people the concept is an ideal solution for improvement etc.

We can try and supress the complainers or over shadow them with stories like this but it won't change what is.
Reality is what it is and I see a TON of people having a lot of complaints with this "high" selling OS.
Too many for symantecs to really mean anything. the writing is on the wall and cheerleaders or fanboys are gonna

What the hell you just said, I have no clue, but not one ounce of it was based off any sort of facts whatsoever.

#220 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:46

well said..

There's a big problem with that; if Microsoft does NOT change, or accept that they may well HAVE to change how Windows works, then they may well be consigning themselves, and Windows, to becoming a niche OS.

You (and the rest of the detractors) are basically betting (and worse, demanding that Microsoft bet) that they can stay unchanged for eternity. Has ANY company managed to make such a bet work - in any field?

IBM tried to make such a bet with OS/2 - and failed.

They tried to make a similar bet with the mainframe - and failed.

Both Amdahl and Digital Equipment Corporation thought they could stay the same forever - neither exists today.

You can't stay on the royal barge on the Egyptian River for eternity; reality has a nasty hapbit of swamping the barge and drowning the oarspeople.

#221 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:50

PG, you forgot Kodak. ;) They didn't change either, and now they're basically dead too.

#222 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:58

PG, you forgot Kodak. ;) They didn't change either, and now they're basically dead too.

and I'm stuck with one of thier pain-in-the-ass printers. :( EVIL EVIL EVIL KODAK!

#223 ~Nikhil~

~Nikhil~

Neowinian

• Phone: lumia 800

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:11

:D im using windows 8 and i love it ..for those who are complaining they just dont know how to use it ..it does take days to get used to ir ..once you get full control of it ..you will love it .thats all i can say..and some people says it takes extra clicks to get this done like opening programs or settings :shifty: ..in my opinion that statement is so wrong..

#224 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:11

What worked for years? There was no system-wide notification feature in Windows 8 before this. In this particular case, it was just usual complaining about something the user didn't know could be done in a certain consistent manner.
App > settings > permission to show notification
System > settings > permissions for all apps
doesn't get any simpler than that.

On a more general term, nothing has changed for desktop users except the start menu, which I could easily adjust to within few mins without using any 3rd party stuff.

#225 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:16

Kodak should have been the most OBVIOUS example of what happens when a company ignores a trend.

It was competition in FILM photography that may have been obvious (in particular, from Fuji) - however, it was inexpensive DIGITAL photography that did Kodak in. (It's also largely in the process of screwing over Fuji's Film Products Division as well.)

Kodak is a company I deliberately did not refer to - because we all SHOULD have seen what happened to Kodak. (Amazingly - but far from amusingly - nobody did, let alone the screwing repeat itself with Polaroid and - eventually - Fuji itself. Fuji is about to become as irrelevant to photography as Kodak.).

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!