Windows 8 Sales are actually Amazing - 40 million sold

Keep in mind Microsoft is listening to the customers and changing the features to give people less reason to hate them. For instance, in Vista everyone got pinched by UAC. If you did "administrative" tasks like rename a folder or copy files you'd be getting 4 or 5 UAC prompts during the process. In Windows 7 MS toned it down enough that you will see them only when installing and removing programs, for the most part. The complaints of it died down because UAC was radically improved between Vista and 7.

radically improved? more like streamlined for the "power users" who couldn't figure out the NTFS permission triggering the numerous UAC prompts. (yes they also improved by combining multiple prompts generated in a single user action)

BajiRav

you said

I disagree for example wikipedia states the result is mixed NOT good.

Maybe you should go and edit the wikipedia page lol

lol may lol be you lol should lol, why the lol **** should I care what's lol on Microsoft's Wikipedia page lol?

its cause people dont have a choice when buying a new laptop... I have "down graded" to windows 7 and linux for a few people lately

aah, that explains Android's 70+% market share then.

radically improved? more like streamlined for the "power users" who couldn't figure out the NTFS permission triggering the numerous UAC prompts. (yes they also improved by combining multiple prompts generated in a single user action)

lol may lol be you lol should lol, why the lol **** should I care what's lol on Microsoft's Wikipedia page lol?

aah, that explains Android's 70+% market share then.

I like your jump from laptops/pc to mobile devices ... I specifically said laptops .

I like your jump from laptops/pc to mobile devices ... I specifically said laptops .

just drawing parallel because people don't have option is getting old really fast, especially with how many Macs Apple has been selling recently and then some Linux systems available in the market.

Android is pretty much same, people don't have option to choose anything but Android in most cases - only now things are looking better with WP8.

just drawing parallel because people don't have option is getting old really fast, especially with how many Macs Apple has been selling recently and then some Linux systems available in the market.

Android is pretty much same, people don't have option to choose anything but Android in most cases - only now things are looking better with WP8.

wp8 for phones is a good thing ... i think its a good hand held os ... but in reference to laptops and pcs its a terrible evil creature

Don't have a horse in this race but with regards to desktops, the number of Macs Apple has been selling and Linux are passing itches on the butt of Windows. They are totally insignificant on the desktop. That will remain unchanged unless Microsoft really screws up. I would have though that impossible, but however unlikely, it is possible. In a theoretical sense ;)

Don't have a horse in this race but with regards to desktops, the number of Macs Apple has been selling and Linux are passing itches on the butt of Windows. They are totally insignificant on the desktop. That will remain unchanged unless Microsoft really screws up. I would have though that impossible, but however unlikely, it is possible. In a theoretical sense ;)

Naw, I don't see anything changing in the short term. People will complain about the new Windows, and a lot maybe not buy it, but computers last a long time and they'll just wait for a version they do like to purchase. Too much work on Windows that don't work on other platforms. The only platform that might overcome Windows sometime in the future is the Internet.

I think the true measurement of windows 8 success, would be how much apps are sold through windows store.

I believe, Microsoft would even offer windows 8 for free, if it was sure that lot of apps would be sold online. It's a long term business plan.

I think the true measurement of windows 8 success, would be how much apps are sold through windows store.

I believe, Microsoft would even offer windows 8 for free, if it was sure that lot of apps would be sold online. It's a long term business plan.

,yeah,they have to sell 150 $ worth of apps to get the same amount of money that one Win licence can make.

Considering that the appstore doesn't has any convincing title, and actually the biggest PC content delivery platform migrating from the windows it has quite slim chance.

But not a problem, in the meantime the xbox business will growth,and will eat away the small leftover of the home pc business.

I can't imagine better strategy than the one followed by the MS to lose the customer segment completely.

. Every single consumer product MS has made, except the XBOX, as been a massive failure. They wouldn't be silly enough to gamble that hard on the future of Windows, one of their major cash cows.

The Xbox was a market failure.

They managed to create a moderately successful product from it for third trial (with the Kinect, designed by the ex Nintendo Rare :D ) but in the meantime they lost a few (uncounted) billion.

And when they captured the second (third) place then the complete market started to implode.

Shh...don't bring in facts (which I've done before) as it won't be well received.

The next comment will be something along the lines of...well that was just a single source, most actually were very receptive.

You'll ask for a source, and they will instead get huffy and get ****ed off.

However since I've now posted that the next thing they'll do will be an attempt to ridicule me instead for having posted this...under the guise of hating me for being 'all-knowing' and such a 'braggart'.

However since I've posted that....well I'll let that response be a surprise. ;)

Shane, the uproar over NT SP4 was one I was involved with - primarily answering the gripes of those that complained about it before going back for more LAN training (getting CompTIA Network+ certified in 2000 - I already qualified for both CNA and A+ via fieldwork/CLEP). The big to-do about Service Pack 4 (Windows NT) had to do with IE 4 - because of code-sharing by Windows Explorer and IE, IE 4 was a *requirement*. Never mind that you still didn't have to use IE - and never mind that SP4 was also being pushed by Microsoft competitor Novell because the IE 4 requirement addressed a nasty bug browsing Netware LAN shares in Explorer - techs were getting whacked by higher-ups over this requirement. When I was off for that certification, the story about SP4 had followed me to classwork - and I was pleasantly surprised to find that my instructor - like me, he had a grounding in the field before going into teaching, which is, in fact, par for the course for community colleges - had the same feeling about it I did (mountain out of molehill). Some folks enjoy creating them.

Have they ever recouped all of that spent money? I've never heard.

I think it was announced a few years ago that the Xbox division itself is making money and is in the black although I am not sure if that counts the RROD charge and money lost on the original Xbox.