• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#241 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 11 December 2012 - 15:06

How does windows 8 affect yoru workflow in Photoshop ? having a touchscreen doesn't mean your workflow is affected, and chances are you computer doesn't have a touch screen anyway, so you don't need to worry about it. I'm wondering what the hell your argument here is...

Also on the topic of working with photoshop on a touch screen, I would love to. more specifically a hybrid wacom tablet and touch screen. like MS demonstrated at CES last year. No there's some serious workflow improvement over the old plain mouse/tablet and keyboard.

#242 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 December 2012 - 15:07

Last I checked I do not do my programming on my smartphone. I do not do client server setups. Talking through ethernet will not make sitting down and typing on the keyboard to program be better. If I had to I could do all my programming and take it on a CD. Again, I am talking about the productive environment.

The same thing with Photoshop. To get as much detail as possible, there is no way I will ever use a touch screen for it. Mouse give me the perfect precision for my job. That has not changed since Photoshop 5. Yes, the tools that were included in the software has changed, but not the basic way I use it.

Good for you. Still doesn't change the fact that computing HAS changed over the last 20 years, contrary to your "claims".

#243 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 15:08

The same thing with Photoshop. To get as much detail as possible, there is no way I will ever use a touch screen for it. Mouse give me the perfect precision for my job. That has not changed since Photoshop 5. Yes, the tools that were included in the software has changed, but not the basic way I use it.

Are you doing pixel art like in the early 90(from where you think computing hasn't changed) or actually work in photoshop. because most photoshop work does not need precision. in fact flow is far more important than precision. This is why tablets are great for photoshop, but I don't use a tablet for 3DS MAX, for max, I need precision so I use a mouse. Though for organic modeling precision is out the window again.

#244 ITFiend

ITFiend

ハッピー

• Phone: Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 15:28

Are you doing pixel art like in the early 90(from where you think computing hasn't changed) or actually work in photoshop. because most photoshop work does not need precision. in fact flow is far more important than precision. This is why tablets are great for photoshop, but I don't use a tablet for 3DS MAX, for max, I need precision so I use a mouse. Though for organic modeling precision is out the window again.

Frankly, you’re both wrong. Touch has its place. Stylus has its place. Mouse has its place. You use the best tool for the job. Depending on the job, you may damn well require precision within Photoshop. Saying you'll never use touch within Photoshop is just as short sighted as the digital canvas evolves. Maybe your current use of the product doesn't really "need" it, but your "needs" may change as your skills, projects, and the program evolve.

http://www.wacom.com...ntiq-24hd-touch

I would kill for a Windows tablet that can function as good as that Wacom display can. :shifty:

#245 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 15:32

So....because I am using my mouse I am doing pixel art? I do my job better with a mouse than with a tablet. I have a $400 WACOM tablet that I tried to use for a month but never could. I do MUCH better with my mouse. I do not need to defend my abilities, but you do know people do work differently than you right? If we all did our jobs exactly the same, that would be a weird world to live in....

#246 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 15:41

Frankly, you’re both wrong. Touch has its place. Stylus has its place. Mouse has its place. You use the best tool for the job. Depending on the job, you may damn well require precision within Photoshop. Saying you'll never use touch within Photoshop is just as short sighted as the digital canvas evolves. Maybe your current use of the product doesn't really "need" it, but your "needs" may change as your skills, projects, and the program evolve.

http://www.wacom.com...ntiq-24hd-touch

I would kill for a Windows tablet that can function as good as that Wacom display can. :shifty:

You do of course realize that all the pro windows 8 tablets, as well as the old Windows vista and 7 tablets PC's used pretty much that exact digitizer for the screen... only on the never models they have a touch layer in addition to it.

So....because I am using my mouse I am doing pixel art? I do my job better with a mouse than with a tablet. I have a $400 WACOM tablet that I tried to use for a month but never could. I do MUCH better with my mouse. I do not need to defend my abilities, but you do know people do work differently than you right? If we all did our jobs exactly the same, that would be a weird world to live in....

So all you basically do in PS then is touch up red eyes and adjust colors ? if you prefer a mouse over a tablet, then you certainly don't do any serious touch up jobs or corrections. the only job a mouse would be "better" for is simple web graphics, in which case photoshop isn't the tool of choice anyway, or Vector art, where again, photoshop isn't the tool of choice, it does the jobs but, there are better options.

#247 ITFiend

ITFiend

ハッピー

• Phone: Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 16:08

You do of course realize that all the pro windows 8 tablets, as well as the old Windows vista and 7 tablets PC's used pretty much that exact digitizer for the screen... only on the never models they have a touch layer in addition to it.

From what I've read, none of the tablet styluses have comparable pressure sensitivity resolution or comparable pen functionality. If you know of a tablet that contains a stylus on par with a Wacom and supports 1024-bit pressure sensitivity on the pen tip and eraser, by all means point it out.

-Edit
On that note, it looks like Wacom may resolve the issue on their own since they release their own pens for third party tablets. If one of their stylus' can work on one of the newer high end tablets coming out soon, I'll probably be happy even if the tablet doesn't include a great one. If one of their 2048-bit pressure pens will work, heaven.

#248 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 16:54

So all you basically do in PS then is touch up red eyes and adjust colors ? if you prefer a mouse over a tablet, then you certainly don't do any serious touch up jobs or corrections. the only job a mouse would be "better" for is simple web graphics, in which case photoshop isn't the tool of choice anyway, or Vector art, where again, photoshop isn't the tool of choice, it does the jobs but, there are better options.

So nobody....NOBODY can use a mouse with Photoshop UNLESS they are ONLY....ONLY doing web art, red eye and color adjustment? Wow, I must be really good if I can do what I do with my mouse...

#249 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:32

So nobody....NOBODY can use a mouse with Photoshop UNLESS they are ONLY....ONLY doing web art, red eye and color adjustment? Wow, I must be really good if I can do what I do with my mouse...

He is right though. There are tools in both Paint.Net and Photoshop that eliminate the need for precision as you describe. The Magic Wand, for example. I know when I work in both, I don't need to be accurate down to the pixel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnyna2PlcRw&feature=player_embedded

#250 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:38

He is right though. There are tools in both Paint.Net and Photoshop that eliminate the need for precision as you describe. The Magic Wand, for example. I know when I work in both, I don't need to be accurate down to the pixel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnyna2PlcRw&feature=player_embedded

Then explain to me how I am able to do my job with a mouse, if he is right that the ONLY thing I can do is red eye and color corrections? Did I say I need to be accurate down to the pixel? You can make a design flow nice, but it still needs to look nice too. So yes, accuracy still matters.

#251 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:47

Then explain to me how I am able to do my job with a mouse, if he is right that the ONLY thing I can do is red eye and color corrections? Did I say I need to be accurate down to the pixel? You can make a design flow nice, but it still needs to look nice too. So yes, accuracy still matters.

So far your job is very ambiguous, since in the last few posts ou e been everything from developer to artist and anything in between, and all the points in the different "jobs" you made to show win 8 don't work for your "job" have so far been shot down as downright wrong or not relevant.

So wha exactly do you do with photoshop, and how can you not do it I Win8, frankly I don't think you've used photoshop for anything professional, nor have you ever seen a line of code, and probably not even tried Win8

From what I've read, none of the tablet styluses have comparable pressure sensitivity resolution or comparable pen functionality. If you know of a tablet that contains a stylus on par with a Wacom and supports 1024-bit pressure sensitivity on the pen tip and eraser, by all means point it out.

-Edit
On that note, it looks like Wacom may resolve the issue on their own since they release their own pens for third party tablets. If one of their stylus' can work on one of the newer high end tablets coming out soon, I'll probably be happy even if the tablet doesn't include a great one. If one of their 2048-bit pressure pens will work, heaven.

Most tablet pc's use a Wacom tablet, the surface pro and pretty much all the other win8 pro tablets use Wacom tablets. In fact even the galaxy notes use Wacom tablets and are compatible with Wacom pens.

#252 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:50

So, you can use a mouse. So can I... Not sure what you're trying to say here.

#253 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 17:55

So far his argument have made no sense, he's only going on about coding, photoshop and a bunch of other things, and how he can't do it on a touch screen... So why.... Windows 8 doesn't magically turn your computer monitor into a touch screen and disable your mouse... What's the argument.

#254 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:00

Ah, the LCD faithful...

Posted Image

#255 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:13

So far your job is very ambiguous, since in the last few posts ou e been everything from developer to artist and anything in between, and all the points in the different "jobs" you made to show win 8 don't work for your "job" have so far been shot down as downright wrong or not relevant.

So wha exactly do you do with photoshop, and how can you not do it I Win8, frankly I don't think you've used photoshop for anything professional, nor have you ever seen a line of code, and probably not even tried Win8

I did not say Photoshop (or anything) is unusable in Windows 8, I am just saying that the charms bar is irritating when trying to work on it because I keep activating it. I am just saying that a basic check box would have been great to have. I do not activate the hot corners every time, but it is enough to be an irritation. And I really love the attitude here where if these hot corners are being activated on accident (I mean come on the X button is just a couple of pixels from the hot corner, I do not know why you guys are so shocked that these hot corners are activated on accident), either you SUCK HORRIBLY at using computers or have never used 8.

Yes you are right I am a developer and artist, and everything between. I make my own video games (not the best games out there since I do it on my spare time, but it is more educational than for business). I do the programming, graphics, music, sound effects, and videos. I make my own websites, I am responsible for the programming and web artwork there. I like to make wallpapers, space art, concept art for my games. I have clients that need me to do some Photoshop work on their photos (Not just color correction and red eye). I have clients that need me to design and code a website. I make my own promotional videos so I use After Effects for that. I make video tutorials so I use Camtasia Studio and the Rode Podcaster. I have a podcast so I use Adobe Audition / Garageband to work on the audio.

I am not saying I am the best, far from it. But do not come here and tell me that just because I use a mouse I must suck at Photoshop or only do red eye/color adjustments.