Photo

Windows 8 Sales are actually Amazing - 40 million sold

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#16 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:32

So if it sold about the same number of licenses as Windows 7 did in the first month, how come the adoption rate is so much lower? :huh:

#17 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:32

Are 40 million still using it? That's the question worth asking.

"Windows 8 has sold 40 million licenses so far"

Only 7 actually installed it

And only 3 of those people did not reinstall 7

Unfortunately 2 of those 3 reinstalled XP

1 Died

#18 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:33

from what it sounds, windows 8 isn't selling as fast as windows 7, and windows 7 still has the sales records for 1st month sales

How does it sound like that? That is actually the complete opposite of what it sounds like.

#19 OP spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 920

Windows 7 took 3 months to sell 60 million licenses. Windows 8 took 1 month to sell 40 Million.. i'm not sure HOW YOU can spin that as bad or "vista" like.

#20 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

It's a failure just as Vista was.... go back and read the first threads when Vista came out... deja vu...
It took MS almost a year to actually acknowledge that Vista flopped.
I am already seeing Windows 9 or whatever is called coming up next year to correct the mistake that this OS is...

Having used both (and been here for both), no. Vista was an ME level disaster. Windows 8... is more like Windows 98.

#21 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:34

ZDNet:

"Without acknowledging directly the critics -- including yours truly -- who've found Windows 8 less than intuitive, Reller said that users are finding Windows 8 "easy to understand and embrace." She said users are exploring Windows 8 and enjoying learning it, from Day 1.
Based on customer feedback and information gathered by Microsoft's customer support organization, "We do know that customers do, indeed, 'get' the product," she said.
She said that over 90 percent of those purchasing Windows 8 and Windows RT devices are using the Charms on Day one. (Charms are the icons that provide search, sharing and other basic functions that can be found by swiping in from the right on a Windows 8/Windows RT device.) She said they are using search between two to three times a day every time they are on their devices. And she played up Microsoft's data that found more than half of the users are using the Windows Store on their first day."

Oh, snap...

#22 OP spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:35

So if it sold about the same number of licenses as Windows 7 did in the first month, how come the adoption rate is so much lower? :huh:

That's just one analytics company tracking web traffic from websites that use its service, not representative of the internet at large and like iOS windows 8 users may be using apps instead of web - offsetting some of their tracking since I don't think they do app analytics.

#23 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:36

Yeah, I imagine releasing at this time of year it's easy to say you "sold" X number to OEMs.

Still, it's clearly not going to be the utter failure everyone here wants it to be.

I totally agree, that said, 80% of OS users in the world use Windows and because of that fact it IS going to sell or work itself into the "system"! At the end of the day when adoption of the new OS becomes de facto it will be a "success"!

#24 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:38

Windows 7 took 3 months to sell 60 million licenses. Windows 8 took 1 month to sell 40 Million.. i'm not sure HOW YOU can spin that as bad or "vista" like.

Selling licenses does not make 8 a better OS imo

People who have used 7 since RTM are more likely to have faith in the next OS considering how well 7 did

#25 OP spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:40

Selling licenses does not make 8 a better OS imo

People who have used 7 since RTM are more likely to have faith in the next OS considering how well 7 did

To re-quote zdnet's Mary J Foley quote of MS.

"
Without acknowledging directly the critics -- including yours truly -- who've found Windows 8 less than intuitive, Reller said that users are finding Windows 8 "easy to understand and embrace." She said users are exploring Windows 8 and enjoying learning it, from Day 1.
Based on customer feedback and information gathered by Microsoft's customer support organization, "We do know that customers do, indeed, 'get' the product," she said.
She said that over 90 percent of those purchasing Windows 8 and Windows RT devices are using the Charms on Day one. (Charms are the icons that provide search, sharing and other basic functions that can be found by swiping in from the right on a Windows 8/Windows RT device.) She said they are using search between two to three times a day every time they are on their devices. And she played up Microsoft's data that found more than half of the users are using the Windows Store on their first day.
"

People are enjoying Windows 8 by and large.

#26 +ozzy76

ozzy76

Neowinian

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:41

We'll probably find out Bill Gates alone bought 20 million licenses for "charity". (I kid, I kid)

#27 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:43

People are enjoying Windows 8 by and large.

Considering all the buzz they generated at launch, it should be no surprise. I wonder what Store numbers look like. There's another press release I'd love to see.

#28 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:43

How does it sound like that? That is actually the complete opposite of what it sounds like.

compare the windows 7 sales for the first month to windows 8 for first month, windows 7 still is higher and still holds the fastest selling windows os in history bragging rights... now if they can sell more then 180 million in 9 months they can take that from windows 7

but then to quote InfoWorld 9 months into the windows 7 sales "Do the math: 175 million copies of Windows 7 isn't that impressive"

#29 OP spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:44

Considering all the buzz they generated at launch, it should be no surprise. I wonder what Store numbers look like. There's another press release I'd love to see.

Yeah, I definitely want to see how the MS stores are doing!

I'd love Surface numbers, maybe tomorrow they may mention something and i'd love to hear that Nokia did get more than 2.5 million orders for their 920 as well.

#30 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:47

To be fair, he never said Win8 didn't sell well.
He said that it's not doing as well as internal predictions.
40mil is great but if they expected to sell 70mil then it's not doing great

Whatever, I think 40 mil is not bad, specially after all the complaining I've been reading over the past year

Well there was word of "under a third" of initial estimates. (Though I don't believe that was Thurrott's own claim) And honestly, I don't think Microsoft were crazy enough to predict 120 million Windows 8 licenses in 1 month, especially given Windows 7's numbers.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!