Windows 8 Sales are actually Amazing - 40 million sold

40 million? Where did that come from? That is a lot for just one month on sale. Wow that is impressive. I thought Windows 8 was a failure. Didn't someone post that only 1/3 was sold.

If this is real, that must have been FUD, because 40 million is impressive for only one month on sale.

40 million? Where did that come from? That is a lot for just one month on sale. Wow that is impressive. I thought Windows 8 was a failure. Didn't someone post that only 1/3 was sold.

If this is real, that must have been FUD, because 40 million is impressive for only one month on sale.

It's spin.. 40 million people are not using Windows 8 not even close.. math and simple logic with stats shows that. They are spinning. They are not even close to Windows 7 at the same time period.. they are not even at a 1/3rd right now in actual real world usage (pure facts when you look at data). Unfortunately for them, when you are selling an OS, you can actually see whether or not that OS is being used so the spin gets caught real quick.

Everyone I know, friends and family, have purchased windows 8. Each and every one of them is using it quite comfortably too, including my parents whom are technologically slow

It's spin.. 40 million people are not using Windows 8 not even close.. math and simple logic with stats shows that. They are spinning. They are not even close to Windows 7 at the same time period.. they are not even at a 1/3rd right now in actual real world usage (pure facts when you look at data). Unfortunately for them, when you are selling an OS, you can actually see whether or not that OS is being used so the spin gets caught real quick.

Do you have a link for proof that it's actually spin? Math doesn't tell me anything because they did offer a $60 offer to upgrade and it's on hardware as well.

Saying math and simple logic doesn't cut it. Anyone can say that.

They didn't have to announce the numbers publicly.

The kid I sit next to in class, has a Surface tablet with him today. Cool to see, especially since he had an iPad with him just last month...

Do you have a link for proof that it's actually spin? Math doesn't tell me anything because they did offer a $60 offer to upgrade and it's on hardware as well.

Saying math and simple logic doesn't cut it. Anyone can say that.

They didn't have to announce the numbers publicly.

I'm guessing you missed Boz post on the last page but here are some parts of it.

.....Their claim doesn't make sense in terms of actual users using windows 8 when you actually look at facts like browsing stats like here http://www.w3counter...globalstats.php . At 40 million copies of windows sold you would think that stats would show more than 0.39 percent usage in browsing. Especially when you realize that Windows 8 web usage was 0.30 percent prior to release, which was public preview and after release that web usage percentage jumped only 0.09 percent....

Oh and btw, a simple comparison shows again that Microsoft is spinning.

By looking at web usage for windows 7 from the same site I linked. Windows 7 had same percentage of web usage as windows 8 had prior to release at 0.24% but within a month or so of its release it was already at over 2% of web usage, meaning that either something stinks here or Microsoft is blowing smoke up everyone's asses.

Even neowin had an article mentioning Windows 8 low adoption rate (compared to windows 7)

Windows 8 is not currently appearing as a separate line item on StatCounter's official website. However, the company was nice enough to send Neowin what they have collected from the three million websites they monitor to show what they have seen about Windows 8 usage among PC owners in the PC and worldwide.

Their information shows that on November 25th, Windows 8 adoption was at 2.05 percent in terms of PC owners in the US and 1.44 percent worldwide, 30 days after its launch on October 26th. By contrast, StatCounter's information showed Windows 7, which launched on October 22th, 2009, was being used by 4.95 percent of all US PC owners 30 days after its general launch and 4.63 percent of worldwide PC owners during the same time period.

Source: https://www.neowin.net/news/did-hurricane-sandy-affect-windows-8-adoption

The kid I sit next to in class, has a Surface tablet with him today. Cool to see, especially since he had an iPad with him just last month...

'Breaking news'

Not completely true, they'll always have Shane and Dot Matrix :p

Indeed, how dare I actually engage in reality and use a product that other people may not like. I deserve to be shot right?

Sent from home...where we have 2 Windows Phone devices, a desktop and laptop running Windows 8, a MacBook, a Kindle Fire, 2 Xbox 360's, a PS3, and various other gadgets running a variety of operating systems.

I clearly only support a single OS and company and have no ability to be objective...

/Facepalm

"She said that over 90 percent of those purchasing Windows 8 and Windows RT devices are using the Charms on Day one. (Charms are the icons that provide search, sharing and other basic functions that can be found by swiping in from the right on a Windows 8/Windows RT device.) She said they are using search between two to three times a day every time they are on their devices."

Well no sh*t Sherlock, of course people are using Charms > Search - They removed the start menu, how else are people supposed to search for anything installed on their machine ?

Press the start key on the keyboard, and then start typing...the same way a ton of folks did in Windows 7...

Actually the same accounting method of licenses sold has been used for Vista, 7, and 8.

Sorry Boz, but this is a case where you're completely wrong. :(

Using the same accounting methods 7 had around 60 million licenses sold in 3 months. 8 is on the road to demolishing that figure.

I'm guessing you missed Boz post on the last page but here are some parts of it.

Even neowin had an article mentioning Windows 8 low adoption rate (compared to windows 7)

[/size]

Source: http://www.neowin.ne...dows-8-adoption

To clarify the stats were counted differently in 2009 vs 2012. There's a difference in the types of devices included. The new count includes all sorts of mobile devices that were not in the stats back then, so that changes the adoption percentage figures due to a new accounting method.

That doesn't affect the actual sales figures.

• Like 1

Sorry Boz, but this is a case where you're completely wrong. :(

Using the same accounting methods 7 had around 60 million licenses sold in 3 months. 8 is on the road to demolishing that figure.

To clarify the stats were counted differently in 2009 vs 2012. There's a difference in the types of devices included. The new count includes all sorts of mobile devices that were not in the stats back then, so that changes the adoption percentage figures due to a new accounting method.

That doesn't affect the actual sales figures.

Well selling licenses and selling copies of Windows to consumers are 2 completely different things. Selling licenses doesn't tell us anything about adoption and success of Windows. This is why I look at more concrete stats. Any stats you look at, not only the site I linked to, but most of the sites, show Windows 7 absolutely demolishing Windows 8 in consumer usage (aka web and other stuff). And that's month of release not 3 months vs 1 month of Windows 8. There is only one way to count hits from an OS with sniffers really. It was counted the same in 2009 and it's counted the same now. There's is only one Windows 8, there is only one Windows 7.. when you browse you are identified exactly by the OS you use. Even if you are correct and Windows 8 is counted on tablets and on PCs, that would make Windows 8 usage even worse because their stat numbers would entail 2 completely different hardware platforms and they would still be at 0.39%. That's terrible. Only worse is Symbian OS which is pretty much dead these days.

This is a pure spin by Microsoft to try to show Windows 8 as not being a complete failure. And btw, not any kind of evidence, but I can tell you, I know at least 10 people, who bought a new laptop just prior or on Black Friday, it came with Windows 8, and they were so frustrated that a lot of them actually asked or took their new laptop to the computer shops or Geek Squad to have the old WIndows back. Maybe it's just me, but something tells me this is a common occurrence with Windows 8 computers being shipped now.

So let's get something straight.

1. The number is from Microsoft and there is no way to see what they count as "sold licenses"

2. ZDNET article even says that it's very unclear what that really means

3. Windows 8 is shoved on every new computer so consumer really doesn't have a choice really and there is no tangible data what the real world usage is or how many people actually installs any previous Windows version. Sold license is VERY intangible claim and can be anything.

4. There is really no competition for most users, so they have to buy whatever Microsoft pushes.

5. This is by far the cheapest Windows ever (from $15 to $40) it's very clear Microsoft knew they were problems with Windows 8 from the start

6. Their claim doesn't make sense in terms of actual users using windows 8 when you actually look at facts like browsing stats like here http://www.w3counter...globalstats.php . At 40 million copies of windows sold you would think that stats would show more than 0.39 percent usage in browsing. Especially when you realize that Windows 8 web usage was 0.30 percent prior to release, which was public preview and after release that web usage percentage jumped only 0.09 percent.

Either something doesn't add up, or Microsoft is full of it.

And how is this any different from when Win7 was released and they disclosed sales numbers?

Admit it, you just want to spin this in a bad way just because it's MS

This is a pure spin by Microsoft to try to show Windows 8 as not being a complete failure. And btw, not any kind of evidence, but I can tell you, I know at least 10 people, who bought a new laptop just prior or on Black Friday, it came with Windows 8, and they were so frustrated that a lot of them actually asked or took their new laptop to the computer shops or Geek Squad to have the old WIndows back. Maybe it's just me, but something tells me this is a common occurrence with Windows 8 computers being shipped now.

What a surprise! I too know at least 10 people who bought Galaxy S III and it drove them nuts - now they live in the Himalayas and feed of raw meat of wild animals provided by the Yeti.

I think its time for you guys to move on because this is starting to become embarrassing. OEMs order Windows based on demands. If there was no demand, then theres no way they would have purchased that many copies. I can't believe some of you people are serious.

I think its time for you guys to move on because this is starting to become embarrassing. OEMs order Windows based on demands. If there was no demand, then theres no way they would have purchased that many copies. I can't believe some of you people are serious.

Well Boz has a history of betting on the winning platform

- First he was for HD-DVD

- then he was for Flash

- Now he is rooting for Android

I'd say Windows 8 has hope by this metric alone. :p

• Like 3

It's definitely Official - The Cycle Has Been Broken. (More like ripped to shreds.)

Microsoft actually has back-to-back *successful* Windows desktop releases - even if Windows 8 merely matches Windows 7 the rest of the way.

Anyone for egg sandwiches?

Even I have to admit it - the success of Windows 8 - despite all the obstacles - has shocked even moi.

• Like 3

Well selling licenses and selling copies of Windows to consumers are 2 completely different things. Selling licenses doesn't tell us anything about adoption and success of Windows. This is why I look at more concrete stats. Any stats you look at, not only the site I linked to, but most of the sites, show Windows 7 absolutely demolishing Windows 8 in consumer usage (aka web and other stuff). And that's month of release not 3 months vs 1 month of Windows 8. There is only one way to count hits from an OS with sniffers really. It was counted the same in 2009 and it's counted the same now. There's is only one Windows 8, there is only one Windows 7.. when you browse you are identified exactly by the OS you use. Even if you are correct and Windows 8 is counted on tablets and on PCs, that would make Windows 8 usage even worse because their stat numbers would entail 2 completely different hardware platforms and they would still be at 0.39%. That's terrible. Only worse is Symbian OS which is pretty much dead these days.

Let me show you the difference in how stats are counted from 2009 vs 2012.

Here's a graphic. On the left are Q4 2009 results. On the right is the most recent tracking data (updated today) for the same metric. This chart shows all actives operating systems tracked on the web, showing results returned of about 99.75% (I asked it to not include that final 0.25% so that both sides would be equal in length for easier viewing).

post-452187-0-00160100-1354079432.jpg

Note the huge shift in where web traffic is being handled?

About 97.5% of all measured web traffic in Q4 2009 (around the time that Windows 7 was launched) was desktop/laptop traffic.

The other 2.5% was being handled by mobile devices and Java ME.

Skip ahead to 2012 and now only 90.5% of that traffic is being handled by dedicated desktop/laptop devices.

The other 9.5% is now being handled by mobile devices and the like.

A huge shift in where traffic comes from changes the states on everything else...and makes it redistribute throughout the graph.

This is why comparing Apples & Oranges is never a good idea for proving a point.

Considering all the buzz they generated at launch, it should be no surprise. I wonder what Store numbers look like. There's another press release I'd love to see.

Win 8 devs get store-wide analytics (and AFAIK they're not under NDA), what exactly do you wanna see?

we're given store app downloads per app type (free or paid) and category, which can be narrowed down by country, age (< 13, 13-21, 22-40, 41-55, > 55), and gender

Indeed, how dare I actually engage in reality and use a product that other people may not like. I deserve to be shot right?

I think he was kidding Shane, based on the emoticon. I think he's lumping you with Dot based on evangelistic tone. hahaha, you're not in Dot's league when Dot's going over the deep evangelistic end, lol.

Xbox FTW, but with Windows 8 Desktop Environment, I'm enjoying Gaming right now.

The three companies sold a large number of Windows 8 PCs last week as consumers endured massive crowds and long lines on the biggest shopping day of the year.

In conducting a retail survey, Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry found that Acer and Sony produced the ?hottest-selling Windows 8 notebooks.? According to Chowdhry, Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) Stores had a ?very strong promotion? on the Acer Aspire V5 notebook, which is powered by an Intel (NASDAQ: INTC) Core i5 processor. He estimates that each Microsoft Store had about 500 units. ?[They] were completely sold out within the first 30 minutes,? Chowdhry wrote in a note to investors and reporters. During the promotional period, Microsoft sold the Aspire V5 for $399.

Not to be outdone, some Microsoft Stores also sold out of a $1,500 touch-enabled Ultrabook from Sony. ?Sony Vaio Touch Intel i7 was the fastest selling Windows 8 notebook in the high-end category,? Chowdhry added.

Dell has not given up on the market. And it?s a good thing, too ? if it had, it could not have built the fastest-selling all-in-one Windows 8 desktop. On Black Friday, Dell?s XPS One 27 earned that crown.

Chowdhry said that while he could not get any color on the number of units available, the converged view was that the ?demand was too high? for Dell?s $2,000 machine.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2012/11/27/sony-dell-win-big-with-windows-8-sales/

delusional people still want to debate? $1500 machines are selling out.. $2000 machines are selling out. what world do you guys live in?

delusional people still want to debate? $1500 machines are selling out.. $2000 machines are selling out. what world do you guys live in?

Insert the usual excuse of they did R&D and re-tooled their lines so that they could make one of each.

I think he was kidding Shane, based on the emoticon. I think he's lumping you with Dot based on evangelistic tone. hahaha, you're not in Dot's league when Dot's going over the deep evangelistic end, lol.

Xbox FTW, but with Windows 8 Desktop Environment, I'm enjoying Gaming right now.

I was mostly being facetious too....but pointed out some of my gear in case anyone actually was taking me seriously as regards thinking I only use one platform. ;)

Windows 8 isn't the Vista redo. Windows 8 beats Windows 7 hands down. My laptops are both being run on Windows 8, why? Cause it's better. and I got copies of it cheap. MS wised up.

[/size]

Source: http://www.neowin.ne...dows-8-adoption

Well, that's great, but that's old from October and Windows 8 was released on October 26th or 27th (some people might have bought their copy online and waited to ship or bought their computer waiting to ship), so those numbers would make sense then. We are a few days away from December and we don't have November's stats.

Also, how do they go about getting everyone on the web?

So let's get something straight.

1. The number is from Microsoft and there is no way to see what they count as "sold licenses"

2. ZDNET article even says that it's very unclear what that really means

3. Windows 8 is shoved on every new computer so consumer really doesn't have a choice really and there is no tangible data what the real world usage is or how many people actually installs any previous Windows version. Sold license is VERY intangible claim and can be anything.

4. There is really no competition for most users, so they have to buy whatever Microsoft pushes.

5. This is by far the cheapest Windows ever (from $15 to $40) it's very clear Microsoft knew they were problems with Windows 8 from the start

6. Their claim doesn't make sense in terms of actual users using windows 8 when you actually look at facts like browsing stats like here http://www.w3counter...globalstats.php . At 40 million copies of windows sold you would think that stats would show more than 0.39 percent usage in browsing. Especially when you realize that Windows 8 web usage was 0.30 percent prior to release, which was public preview and after release that web usage percentage jumped only 0.09 percent.

Either something doesn't add up, or Microsoft is full of it.

With world wide computer sales with OEM copies and Box sales and sales online in November they could have sold this many. Based on your previous posts, is it correct to say you dislike Microsoft and you are somewhat biased? I think we can make that assumption. So, I feel you are not in a position to tell anyone anything.

It's okay to not like Microsoft, but it gets a little old with the constant stretching of truth and rewriting history. You gave us a web report for October and claimed it to be the truth dude, you failed. Windows 8 was launched at the very end of October and most of those were going to be November shipped either in box form or computer form. And also the entire online access with OS is skewed.

You have lost clout and respect with me and yeah, I don't mean anything but others will see what you really are and lose confidence in your skewed options as well. .

We have to keep in mind MS has a massive userbase, a conservative estimate would be something like 500 million users.

40 million means the uptake is around 8%

compare this to say 2-3 years when the userbase was around 350-400 million, so 40 million license of windows 7 = 10-15% uptake for the same period.

at any rate the numbers dont really tell the full story yet, we will find out in 3-6 months time wheter windows 8 is a success or failure, I still believe that MS made too big of a change too soon and it s headed in the vista direction.

having said that if its a success well then ill be proven wrong, unlike most people here I dont have a defend MS at all costs attitude and I certainly dont have shares in it so it dosent affect my life either way.