And only 3 of those people did not reinstall 7

Unfortunately 2 of those 3 reinstalled XP

1 Died

Not completely true, they'll always have Shane and Dot Matrix :p

#47 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:27

MS will more than makeup for any discounts because of the store providing long residual revenue.. (as well as selling more MSDN subscriptions, more people looking into Azure services, Office services so on and so forth)

I don't think you realize just how big of a deal this is..

I don't... Of course it is all about money, but you only gotta hope that they do know what they're doing. Only time will tell.

#48 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:27

Windows 7 had free upgrades, it doesn't seem people are rushing for a Windows 8 upgrade.
Windows 7 at $50 promotional price? Never saw that, really. I guess you'd have to really look for someone who got this price.
Windows 7 family pack was never available in Brazil, for instance... nor promotional prices. It actually used to cost over $ 120,00 (upgrade) and $240 equivalent and I really believe Brazil is not the only country with such a high prices.
Windows 7 was very pirated, because it was very expensive.

So... It may be selling 40 million, but those numbers are financially much, much lower than Windows 7 or even Vista numbers, as those $40 discount prices are actually everywhere in world right now, not only in the US.

My response :

Posted Image

On a more serious note, do a search --> windows 7 promotion $50 site:neowin.net
I don't know what pricing worldwide was for 7 but whatever man, keep on hating.

#49 dr_crabman

dr_crabman

Neowinian

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:30

Windows 7 at $50 promotional price? Never saw that, really. I guess you'd have to really look for someone who got this price.

[....]

So... It may be selling 40 million, but those numbers are financially much, much lower than Windows 7 or even Vista numbers, as those $40 discount prices are actually everywhere in world right now, not only in the US.

I got two W7 for 50€ each, it was an official offer right before launch in Germany. Though you had to be quick, numbers were limited.

And financially you have to consider that MS gets all the money when they sell an upgrade online. Don't underestimate how much retailers and suppliers keep for themselves when you pay 100$ in a store.

#50 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:30

My response :

On a more serious note, do a search --> windows 7 promotion $50 site:neowin.net
I don't know what pricing worldwide was for 7 but whatever man, keep on hating.

What you call hate is all about reality and arguments. But all of your, say... love, is all about fanboism and promoting a distortion field.

#51 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:32

You're gonna have to pry Win7 from my cold dead hands. I'll consider Windows 9. It'll probably be Windows 8 PLUS! (You see what I did there?)

#52 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:36

What you call hate is all about reality and arguments. But all of your, say... love, is all about fanboism and promoting a distortion field.

Yup what you say is reality and arguments and what I say is fanboyism and RDF - did I get that right?

#53 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:37

I got two W7 for 50€ each, it was an official offer right before launch in Germany. Though you had to be quick, numbers were limited.

And financially you have to consider that MS gets all the money when they sell an upgrade online. Don't underestimate how much retailers and suppliers keep for themselves when you pay 100$ in a store.

Good point.

#54 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:39

To re-quote zdnet's Mary J Foley quote of MS.

"
Without acknowledging directly the critics -- including yours truly -- who've found Windows 8 less than intuitive, Reller said that users are finding Windows 8 "easy to understand and embrace." She said users are exploring Windows 8 and enjoying learning it, from Day 1.
Based on customer feedback and information gathered by Microsoft's customer support organization, "We do know that customers do, indeed, 'get' the product," she said.
She said that over 90 percent of those purchasing Windows 8 and Windows RT devices are using the Charms on Day one. (Charms are the icons that provide search, sharing and other basic functions that can be found by swiping in from the right on a Windows 8/Windows RT device.) She said they are using search between two to three times a day every time they are on their devices. And she played up Microsoft's data that found more than half of the users are using the Windows Store on their first day.
"

People are enjoying Windows 8 by and large.

"She said that over 90 percent of those purchasing Windows 8 and Windows RT devices are using the Charms on Day one. (Charms are the icons that provide search, sharing and other basic functions that can be found by swiping in from the right on a Windows 8/Windows RT device.) She said they are using search between two to three times a day every time they are on their devices."

Well no sh*t Sherlock, of course people are using Charms > Search - They removed the start menu, how else are people supposed to search for anything installed on their machine ?

#55 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:41

Yup what you say is reality and arguments and what I say is fanboyism and RDF - did I get that right?

I don't think I should do it, but here it goes:

THE WORLD IS ALL ABOUT MONEY,

dear. :)

#56 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:43

OEM Licences? or Retail

This.

It's easy to sell 40 million of something when you force it on people purchasing a new computer.

#57 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:49

Chief Marketing and Financial Officer for Windows <snip>

Aaaand that's where I stopped reading. Talk about bias...

#58 astrokat

astrokat

Neowinian Feline

Posted 27 November 2012 - 22:55

I think Windows 8 is too big to fail. With OEM's shipping Windows 8 machines out without a Windows 7 downgrade option and hardware vendors introducing items that are specific to the new OS, most of us will have Windows 8 on our machines at one point or another before Windows 9 or "the next version of Windows that doesn't suck." The deck is stacked in their favor. Not to mention it is significantly cheaper then Windows 7. Microsoft is actually spending a boat load of money to show and tell people and organizations that Windows 8 doesn't suck. That right there tells you something ....

#59 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:01

It's amazing that when it comes to MS some people just have to be negative all the time

40mil in a month is a good deal, no matter how you look at it.
And for those of you who are saying it's copies sold to OEM's, well they presented the numbers for Win7 the same way and you didn't hear people complain about that number. Win7 was a succes

#60 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:12

Seems no matter what it is, you can find some article out there that contradicts, leads or sway's reader opinion. Was just reading a thread elsewhere showing articles stating how poorly Windows 8 is doing with consumers...it's mostly in the wording. Like here it's PC sales that use Windows 8 OS and consensus of consumer opinions as apposed to OP which is License sales which in itself is more MS number games like govt officials do with unemployment numbers. Media and fanboi's love to spin stuff about ..well everything, from politics to video cards. Amazes me everytime.

So basically, MS is making money themselves. However OEM sales are way below expectation and consumer's feel confused. According to various articles depending what number from who's calculator you look at. makes sense.