Photo

Windows 8 Sales are actually Amazing - 40 million sold

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#61 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:17

My boat is bigger then my neighbors so there.........

#62 Som

Som

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:20

Chief Marketing and Financial Officer for Windows opened up the Credit Suisse Annual Tech conference with the news that Windows 8 has sold 40 million licenses so far.

Can we stop the foolish debate of it being a flop now? thanks! would appreciate getting back to talking about fun stuff!

Assassins Creed III sold 3.5 million in its first week but it's a crap game, just because Windows 8 sells a lot doesn't make it good ... don't get me started on the call of duty series ...

Also is this OEM licences or Retail?

#63 OP spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:30

Can't believe you guys are *still* trying to turn this into negative news. It doesn't matter the license type, the fact is, a sale is a sale.

#64 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:33

Seems like a good start. I'm very surprised, actually.

#65 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:43

P9dlmHRGy06YUOFUaGTrdw2.gif

:laugh:

#66 Matt123

Matt123

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:47

this looks like a pretty good start for Windows 8, it may not reach the level of success of Windows 7 but it looks like it will do much better then Vista.

#67 Haaa-Choo

Haaa-Choo

Take a swing, please do.

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:51

another factually correct and fanboy free post coming from the one and only MS FUDtrooper, oops I mean Spudtrooper...... :pinch:

#68 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:22

Windows 8 sells 40 million in one month, in the face of competition like ipads,cheap tablets like amazon kindle fires, ****ty economy,**** talking pundits,analysts, bitter mac and android fans, pure incompetence of OEMS who don't even have the real windows 8 hardware out yet, pure incompetence of intel whos having problems getting the clover trail chips out.

Now that is impressive

The market is speaking,and it is saying "who give s a **** about the start menu", we love metro UI,we are buying windows 8 PCs even if the real windows 8 hardware isn't out yet".

#69 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:53

From the zdnet link:

Yes, we don't really know exactly what "licenses sold" includes and does not. Sold to consumers? Sold to channel? Includes licenses grandfathered in through volume license agreements. I've asked Microsoft to see if officials will clarify. If they do, I'll add an update here.

And the official word from a spokesperson: "We have nothing more to share."

Sounds like Microsoft is up to their old tricks to me.

#70 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:01

There are already 4x more PCs running Windows 8 than there are running Linux.

#71 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:02

There are already 4x more PCs running Windows 8 than there are running Linux.

Provided sales are actually sales. :D

#72 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:19

So let's get something straight.

1. The number is from Microsoft and there is no way to see what they count as "sold licenses"
2. ZDNET article even says that it's very unclear what that really means
3. Windows 8 is shoved on every new computer so consumer really doesn't have a choice really and there is no tangible data what the real world usage is or how many people actually installs any previous Windows version. Sold license is VERY intangible claim and can be anything.
4. There is really no competition for most users, so they have to buy whatever Microsoft pushes.
5. This is by far the cheapest Windows ever (from $15 to $40) it's very clear Microsoft knew they were problems with Windows 8 from the start
6. Their claim doesn't make sense in terms of actual users using windows 8 when you actually look at facts like browsing stats like here http://www.w3counter...globalstats.php . At 40 million copies of windows sold you would think that stats would show more than 0.39 percent usage in browsing. Especially when you realize that Windows 8 web usage was 0.30 percent prior to release, which was public preview and after release that web usage percentage jumped only 0.09 percent.

Either something doesn't add up, or Microsoft is full of it.

#73 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:26

Oh and btw, a simple comparison shows again that Microsoft is spinning.

By looking at web usage for windows 7 from the same site I linked. Windows 7 had same percentage of web usage as windows 8 had prior to release at 0.24% but within a month or so of its release it was already at over 2% of web usage, meaning that either something stinks here or Microsoft is blowing smoke up everyone's asses.

#74 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:33

6. Their claim doesn't make sense in terms of actual users using windows 8 when you actually look at facts like browsing stats like here http://www.w3counter...globalstats.php . At 40 million copies of windows sold you would think that stats would show more than 0.39 percent usage in browsing. Especially when you realize that Windows 8 web usage was 0.30 percent prior to release, which was public preview and after release that web usage percentage jumped only 0.09 percent.

No, the other 99.61 percent of people browsing the web are just afraid of change.

Spoiler

#75 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:38

From the zdnet link:

Sounds like Microsoft is up to their old tricks to me.

It's everyone's tricks. But you know the current version of Windows will sell, it's the de facto standard and will be on all new PCs sold. I hope the sales are true, the more units actually being used by consumers, the more pressure for Microsoft to get the lead out finishing the thing off.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!