Android 4.2.1

I got home today and turned on my Nexus 7 only to be prompted for an update. It now shows as version 4.2.1. Anyone know what is fixed/added?

Just as we saw this morning with the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10, the Nexus 7 is getting updated to Android 4.2.1 via an OTA update. There's nothing groundbreaking here, its simply a bug fix for the omission of December from the people application and an update to add joysticks and gamepads as HID devices.

But updates are updates, and we know that plenty need to get them ASAP. Thanks to XDA, the manual download link is available and advanced users can flash at will. You'll end up with build number JOP40D, and everyone you know that was born in December is now allowed to get a year older again. Grab the OTA package below, and head into the forums for questions about flashing.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-7-gets-its-turn-421-it-s-pushing-now-or-can-be-manually-flashed

My Nexus 4 doesn't find the update. I guess I have to wait for AT&T to push it?

Well, my Nexus 7 just rebooted itself jut sitting there so apparently they haven't fixed that yet...

Well, my Nexus 7 just rebooted itself jut sitting there so apparently they haven't fixed that yet...

Welcome to ASUS tablets, seems no matter what part they have in tablets, they add the luxury of Random Reboots and Sleep of Deaths for good measure (TF101 here)

JOP40C (4.2_r1) to JOP40D (4.2.1_r1) AOSP changelog

This only includes the Android Open Source Project changes and does not include any changes in any proprietary components included by Google or any hardware manufacturer. The raw log was generated using a modified version of this script written by JBQ.

platform/build

d4382dd : bump version to 4.2.1

476750c : JOP40D

platform/external/bluetooth/bluedroid

0d15318 : Add HID gamepad/joystick as supported HID devices

platform/frameworks/base

b361b30 : Revert "NumberPicker should adjust min and max when displayed values are set." (a.k.a. Santa is back)

cc2e849 : Notification vibration improvements: [DO NOT MERGE]

Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/27/changelog-whats-new-in-android-4-2-1-jop40d/

Welcome to ASUS tablets, seems no matter what part they have in tablets, they add the luxury of Random Reboots and Sleep of Deaths for good measure (TF101 here)

Asus tablets are known for having problems? I was under the impression, and I still kind of am, that I was getting a quality Google branded item. I can't say how much I love my Nexus 4 phone.

My Nexus 4 doesn't find the update. I guess I have to wait for AT&T to push it?

AT&T isn't involved in any updates for the Nexus 4. Almost every OTA released for Android has a staggered release though. Give it a day or two, or find the update file yourself and manually update it.

I just got pushed the update to 4.2 a few days ago. At first I wasn't keen on the visual changes (new clock, fonts etc), but they're growing on me. Locking my phone seems to have a ridiculous delay from button push to display off though. I think that's more of an animation thing than anything though. Now I have to wait for this one to be pushed to my phone. I hope the changes are minor.