Good drive encryption program?

Question

I have a laptop with its hard drive partitioned in 2. One is for my os and programs the other is for particular files I'd like encrypted. I also have a portable usb drive that I'll be using for backup of the encrypted partition. I want to know of some suggestions for an encryption program to use. I don't want to use ntfs built in its relys on the windows login to much. But I want to not really notice the encryption decryption much like pop in a thumb drive or type a password and then i can do things like i never had them encrypted but if i turn off computer its encrypted and safe. any suggestions? Also I prefer open source to propriety. I'm on wndows 7 x64

3 answers to this question

I have a copy of PGP, (pretty good privacy) -- which I think is about the strongest.

Here's another:

http://www.truecrypt.org/

There is always a danger that your drive goes belly-up, and another OS installation can't open the encrypted files.

Be careful.

Better to off-load important files to a USB drive or burn to a DVD disc.

Truecrypt is prob what your looking for - but what flavor of windows 7 do you have? Bitlocker should also work for you, and prob more transparent than truecrypt.