Are You Tracked?

Tracking Around the World  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Allow Yourself to be Tracked?

• On the whole, YES
    • On the whole, NO
    • I'd say about 50% of me is tracked
    • Next to nothing is tracked - ninja!

i feel bad for the people who are paranoid. If only they would realize no one cares about their tiny life.

Oh, but they do. Employers prescreeing applicants using online information being the best example, and something I've personally dealt with (the lack of it, in my case) for the job I'm currently at. In fact, the pompous git I was about to replace even fully admitted that my application letter travelled straight to the trash because he couldn't prescreen me at all. Luckily, it was not his choice in the end, and being comparatively good at what I do got me the job in the end.

Otherwise - that is not the point. For me, it is actually the very reason. Other than that I like to make my own choices no matter how bad they might turn out, to keep the "being in control" illusion. Other than that it's the way of life. Just like being pompous asshats and posting whatever fart has come into their mind at the time is for the far larger opposite side of the society.

Oh, but they do. Employers prescreeing applicants using online information being the best example, and something I've personally dealt with (the lack of it, in my case) for the job I'm currently at. In fact, the pompous git I was about to replace even fully admitted that my application letter travelled straight to the trash because he couldn't prescreen me at all. Luckily, it was not his choice in the end, and being comparatively good at what I do got me the job in the end.

Otherwise - that is not the point. For me, it is actually the very reason. Other than that I like to make my own choices no matter how bad they might turn out, to keep the "being in control" illusion. Other than that it's the way of life. Just like being pompous asshats and posting whatever fart has come into their mind at the time is for the far larger opposite side of the society.

Having a positive online presence can be a huge help too. I'm extremely easy to find online, but it's also very clear what my interests and capabilities are. If you post negative stuff online it's your own fault. Treat the internet as any other public place, be polite and helpful and it'll only do you good.

i feel bad for the people who are paranoid. If only they would realize no one cares about their tiny life.

Yeah until your personal emails are examined to find out you've been bonking the neighbors daughter....(who is legal btw....I mean the parents might not like it, but it was concentual and she was of age)

Having a positive online presence can be a huge help too. I'm extremely easy to find online, but it's also very clear what my interests and capabilities are. If you post negative stuff online it's your own fault. Treat the internet as any other public place, be polite and helpful and it'll only do you good.

Agreed. Though that's slightly idealistic. No matter of the degree of anonymity (or lack of it, thereof) internets takes certain bounds away - personal contact is far more involved, easier to judge (also misjudge, of course) and often with immediate consequences.

And then there's people that are far from polite, respectful and considerate AFK (there's a boatload everywhere).

Yes. I enable most of the tracking features on my Android/Google powered devices. I find that they really do improve my experience, especially on my phone and tablets. I pretty much only use Google's features though. I do not participate in goetagging photos on Facebook, using Foursquare, or other social networking services that are available to the general public. But I do use services likie Google Latitude with location history enabled, and I use that to keep track of things like how often I spend out vs at home or at work, etc.

At the same time, I am very careful about which online services I use, who I allow to track me, using encryption and other technologies to keep my info private, etc. So while I have absolutely no qualms about being tracked by certain services I have opted into, I am also very careful about which information is accessible to other people, and I do everything in my power to make it difficult for anybody to obtain information about me without my knowledge or consent.