Photo

Are You Tracked?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Tracking Around the World

Do You Allow Yourself to be Tracked?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• 910 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:04

I don't really care to be honest. It's not like we as individuals are significant for any company or government.

#17 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,534 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:06

haha, ahh, facebook is the worst at everything, just the amount of info about you on there is scary :pinch:

Kinda. I really didn't put any personal info on there, so I guess I'm (relatively) safe? Maybe?

#18 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• 5,157 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:49

Kinda. I really didn't put any personal info on there, so I guess I'm (relatively) safe? Maybe?

who knows, we'll see how quickly I find your facebook profile :laugh:

#19 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,592 posts
  • Phone: SQNY D5503

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:21

AFK I absolutely suck at making friends, so social networks have no use for me. I don't use cloud storage - I've got nothing to share, and all backups are kept on an offline disk. I've set my browser to block ads agressively. Most other things are on demand. Cookies are deleted whenever I close it (and I do close often). My router doesn't reply to pings from public (although that's probably an obvious thing). I use a dumbphone.

I can still be tracked, but I imagine it'll take a court order to do it - and I'm no John McAfee, so nobody needs to either.
I like to think that I've reduced my online footprint to a minimum while still safely using the basic set of features.

I think I'm paranoid... and complicated :whistle:

#20 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,534 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:25

who knows, we'll see how quickly I find your facebook profile :laugh:

Good luck ;)

#21 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,029 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:40

I'm fine with being tracked. It enriches my social experiences. If a company wants to know where I am, then they're welcome to. :p

Same here. I don't mind tracking cookies, they at least make ads relevant. I don't mind Google knowing everything I do since it makes Google Now insanely powerful and useful. I don't mind Facebook and Foursquare knowing where I am since it does really give you nice recommendations for other places. I also like Last.fm tracking all my music because it informs me of upcoming gigs and new music I might like.

I'm still convinced that as long as you don't do anything wrong you have absolutely nothing to fear. All that data is just sitting somewhere in a datacenter and all that data is pretty much useless to anyone aside the companies using them to provide services to me.

#22 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,848 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:41

I have a cell phone so by default i am tracked however, I have all location services turned of on my phone so whatever apps i have installed are not allowed to ask for my location.

#23 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:47

I try to be like a fart in the wind...

#24 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:48

I try to be like a fart in the wind...

oh you!

HOSTS files and router block lists FTW!!

#25 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,506 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Emterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520 Black

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:49

Posted Image
I have adblock OCD so no

#26 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,686 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:51

i feel bad for the people who are paranoid. If only they would realize no one cares about their tiny life.

#27 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,592 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:19

i feel bad for the people who are paranoid. If only they would realize no one cares about their tiny life.

Oh, but they do. Employers prescreeing applicants using online information being the best example, and something I've personally dealt with (the lack of it, in my case) for the job I'm currently at. In fact, the pompous git I was about to replace even fully admitted that my application letter travelled straight to the trash because he couldn't prescreen me at all. Luckily, it was not his choice in the end, and being comparatively good at what I do got me the job in the end.

Otherwise - that is not the point. For me, it is actually the very reason. Other than that I like to make my own choices no matter how bad they might turn out, to keep the "being in control" illusion. Other than that it's the way of life. Just like being pompous asshats and posting whatever fart has come into their mind at the time is for the far larger opposite side of the society.

#28 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,029 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:34

Oh, but they do. Employers prescreeing applicants using online information being the best example, and something I've personally dealt with (the lack of it, in my case) for the job I'm currently at. In fact, the pompous git I was about to replace even fully admitted that my application letter travelled straight to the trash because he couldn't prescreen me at all. Luckily, it was not his choice in the end, and being comparatively good at what I do got me the job in the end.

Otherwise - that is not the point. For me, it is actually the very reason. Other than that I like to make my own choices no matter how bad they might turn out, to keep the "being in control" illusion. Other than that it's the way of life. Just like being pompous asshats and posting whatever fart has come into their mind at the time is for the far larger opposite side of the society.

Having a positive online presence can be a huge help too. I'm extremely easy to find online, but it's also very clear what my interests and capabilities are. If you post negative stuff online it's your own fault. Treat the internet as any other public place, be polite and helpful and it'll only do you good.

#29 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:51

Yeah until your personal emails are examined to find out you've been bonking the neighbors daughter....(who is legal btw....I mean the parents might not like it, but it was concentual and she was of age)

#30 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,592 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:07

Having a positive online presence can be a huge help too. I'm extremely easy to find online, but it's also very clear what my interests and capabilities are. If you post negative stuff online it's your own fault. Treat the internet as any other public place, be polite and helpful and it'll only do you good.

Agreed. Though that's slightly idealistic. No matter of the degree of anonymity (or lack of it, thereof) internets takes certain bounds away - personal contact is far more involved, easier to judge (also misjudge, of course) and often with immediate consequences.
And then there's people that are far from polite, respectful and considerate AFK (there's a boatload everywhere).