Windows 7 64-Bit or Windows 8 64-Bit For Gaming

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 WildWayz

WildWayz

The Moose God

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:06

Apologies if this has been covered already. I did try a quick search but didn't find anything (which is weird, as I thought it would be all over!).

I am getting my new system built and I am wondering what OS to put on it out of Windows 7 64-Bit or Windows 8 64-Bit. I own both of them already, so I can put whichever on there.

My system spec is this:

Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz CPU (Quad Core)
8GB DDR3 Memory
1000GB Hard Drive
AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Blu-ray Drive
2 Years Warranty
BenQ RL2240H 22" Gaming LED Monitor
Microsoft Wired Desktop 600 USB

I know the KB and Mouse aren't great, but I didnt want to go over this budget at this stage... may get a proper gaming mouse later.

Games are will be playing are:
Far Cry 3
Battlefield 3
Dishonoured
Black Ops 2
Hitman Absolution

As said, I have used Windows 8 before and quite like it, but don't mind dropping to Windows 7. Also will both be fine if I go down SSD route later on?

Thanks all!

#2 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:08

The bechmarks suggest that are about the same.. I had Windows 8 on my gaming box for 1 day.. and reloaded Windows 7 back Thats just me though.. I think Steam being intergrated with the start screen would be pretty cool.. but I just like Windows 7 better..

Going down to the SSD route would be great.. Windows 8 starts up very fast with those.. One thing I did like about WIndows 8.

#3 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:12

I like Windows 7 better. Use what you like. :)

#4 OP WildWayz

WildWayz

The Moose God

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:14

Thanks guys. I read early reports that seem to show games performing less on Windows 8 - probably driver issue though. The new Catalyst drivers are meant to add 30%ish improvement to BF3...

#5 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:18

Thanks guys. I read early reports that seem to show games performing less on Windows 8 - probably driver issue though. The new Catalyst drivers are meant to add 30%ish improvement to BF3...

90% of benchmarks show no change.

Load times for games on the other hand definitely seem better in 8, but I don't think I've seen benches on that.

#6 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:18

Windows 7 is definitely the more proven OS, however word is Win 8 is just fine for gaming as well.
But if you want zero issues, go Win 7. I would say you probably will face zero issues using Win 8 as well, but it is pretty much a guarantee there will be no issues with 7 since it has been around for awhile now.
I would say it really comes down to preference and what you prefer. Really do not think you can go wrong with either one.

#7 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:21

I've upgraded from W7 to W8 (both 64-bit). I have noticed very minimal (if any) difference in most of my games. The one thing I have noticed is internet throughput is a lot worse in W8, especially latency in speed tests. Rather than do a fresh install to see if it fixes it, I'm going to switch back to W7 for personal reasons.

#8 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:26

I've upgraded from W7 to W8 (both 64-bit). I have noticed very minimal (if any) difference in most of my games. The one thing I have noticed is internet throughput is a lot worse in W8, especially latency in speed tests. Rather than do a fresh install to see if it fixes it, I'm going to switch back to W7 for personal reasons.

I noticed this in Windows Server 2012 about the throughput being kinda high for no reason..

#9 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2)

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:24

Both operating systems are great for gaming so go with the one you like. Personally, I'd stick with Windows 7 because I don't like the UI changes Microsoft made to Windows 8.

#10 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:34

graphics drivers will likely be buggy for 6-12 months on windows 8 so i'd use win7.

#11 OP WildWayz

WildWayz

The Moose God

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:50

Hmmmm think I may stick with Windows 7 64-Bit then. Will miss the quick boot tho :p
My laptop (no SSD) would be ready to rock and roll in 20 seconds in Windows 8! :D

#12 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:54

I haven't noticed many graphics drivers problems in 8, but the network tweaks they made seem to be bugging the crap out of some people. I know I've had some issues with that part too.

#13 count0nz

count0nz

A Geek4Hire

Posted 28 November 2012 - 16:05

I'd go with windows 8.

!. it has DirectX 11.1 support your games will take advantage of the extra features only in Windows 8

2. Better memory management

3. Just feels Faster...

4. Learn to use the Keyboard shortcuts. i hardly use the mouse to Control the Metro interface.
Winkey + C = Charms, Winkey +D Desktop. etc, Winkey = Menu..

Remove all the Extra crap you don't need .. Make your games there own Section. Etc.. (Pin most used Games to TaskBar)

Etc. Etc.. Windows 8 has a Learning curve but its Sweet after you get around the Paradime shift.

#14 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:08

Windows 7

#15 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:15

!. it has DirectX 11.1 support your games will take advantage of the extra features only in Windows 8

Won't matter unless your GPU supports 11.1.
edit: Looks like the Radeon HD 7850 supports 11.1. Newegg has it labeled wrong.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!