28 posts in this topic

Posted

While I was working with a client on their Photoshop work, we both (she took the mouse a few times) activated the Charms bar over 10 times while we were picking a color from the color palette dialog.

It is really embarrassing when you are working on a client and the OS keeps getting in the way, it makes you look unprofessional.

Is there a check box somewhere in the control panel I am missing? Don't get me wrong, I think Windows 8 is a pretty good system, but god damn they should have had SOME damn options.
2 people like this

Posted

Nope, you need 3rd party to disable it afaik

Posted

[b]1.[/b] Press "[b]WIN+R[/b]" key combination to launch RUN dialog box then type [b]regedit[/b] and press Enter. It'll open [b]Registry Editor[/b] and go to following key:[indent]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\[/indent]
[b]2.[/b] Under ImmersiveShell key, create a new key [b]EdgeUI[/b].
[b]3.[/b] Now select newly created key "EdgeUI" and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD [b]DisableCharmsHint[/b] and set its value to [b]1[/b]
[b]4.[/b] That's it. It'll immediately disable Charms Bar hint feature. You'll not need to log off or restart the system.
[b]NOTE:[/b] If you want to enable the Charms Bar hint feature again, simply delete the DWORD "DisableCharmsHint" or set its value to 0
[CODE]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\EdgeUI]
"DisableCharmsHint"=dword:00000001
[/CODE]
Source: [url="http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-charms-bar-hint-in-windows-8/"]http://www.askvg.com...t-in-windows-8/[/url]

Haven't tried it. Testing to see if it works.

Edit: Well it does what it says, disables the charms hint but doesn't completely disable the charms bar. Charm bar won't activate just by touching the corners. You need to swipe up or down to make them show.
3 people like this

Posted

[quote name='DudeBro' timestamp='1354113515' post='595354714']
[b]1.[/b] Press "[b]WIN+R[/b]" key combination to launch RUN dialog box then type [b]regedit[/b] and press Enter. It'll open [b]Registry Editor[/b] and go to following key:[indent]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\[/indent]
[b]3.[/b] Now select newly created key "EdgeUI" and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD [b]DisableCharmsHint[/b] and set its value to [b]1[/b]
[b]4.[/b] That's it. It'll immediately disable Charms Bar hint feature. You'll not need to log off or restart the system.
[b]NOTE:[/b] If you want to enable the Charms Bar hint feature again, simply delete the DWORD "DisableCharmsHint" or set its value to 0

Source: [url="http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-charms-bar-hint-in-windows-8/"]http://www.askvg.com...t-in-windows-8/[/url]
[/quote]

Nice tip

Posted

[quote name='DudeBro' timestamp='1354113515' post='595354714']
[CODE]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\EdgeUI]
"DisableCharmsHint"=dword:00000001
[/CODE]

Haven't tried it. Testing to see if it works.

Edit: Well it does what it says, disables the charms hint but doesn't completely disable the charms bar. Charm bar won't activate just by touching the corners. You need to swipe up or down to make them show.
[/quote]

Oh well that is a shame, since we did actually activate the bar itself every time.

Posted

[b] How to disable the Edge UI panels aka Charms Bar and Switcher in Windows 8[/b][list=1]
[*]Open Registry Editor (press [b]Win+R[/b], type [b]regedit.exe[/b] in Run dialog and press [b]Enter[/b]) and go to key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell
[*]Create here a new key

Posted

[quote name='DavidM' timestamp='1354123698' post='595355136']
[b] How to disable the Edge UI panels aka Charms Bar and Switcher in Windows 8[/b][list=1]
[*]Open Registry Editor (press [b]Win+R[/b], type [b]regedit.exe[/b] in Run dialog and press [b]Enter[/b]) and go to key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell
[*]Create here a new key

Posted

Yes it seems like 3rd party solutions is the only way. Just use the Skip Metro Suite as DavidM suggested. It will disable the hot corners just like you want.

Posted

[quote name='DudeBro' timestamp='1354124339' post='595355152']
Yes it seems like 3rd party solutions is the only way. Just use the Skip Metro Suite as DavidM suggested. It will disable the hot corners just like you want.
[/quote]

It sounds like it will not disable it, as he mentioned:

"But as above, if you move the pointer to the top-right corner and then move it down along the right edge of the screen (or from the bottom-right corner up to the screen center along the right edge), it

Posted

No man, It will completely disable it. Its a simple program that runs as a service and takes no resources. All it does is disable the hot corners and nothing else.

I'm talking about the the one you download here [url="http://winaero.com/download.php?view.33"]http://winaero.com/d...oad.php?view.33[/url]

It's a really tiny app at 200KB. Try it.

Posted

[b] Skip Metro Suite features:[/b]
[list]
[*]Skip Start Screen feature.
[*]Switcher can be disabled.
[*]Charms Bar Hint can be disabled.
[*][b]Can completely REMOVE edge panels, including Charms Bar,Switcher and square start button at bottom-left edge of Desktop.[/b]
[/list]

GO HERE!!! -> [url="http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103"]http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103[/url]
[list]
[*][b]Can completely REMOVE edge panels, including Charms Bar,Switcher and square start button at bottom-left edge of Desktop.[/b]
[/list]
Get it? It can remove/disable the edge panels including the charms bar, app switcher and start button. I can't make it any clearer for you.

Good Luck.

Posted

[quote name='DavidM' timestamp='1354124788' post='595355174']
[b] Skip Metro Suite features:[/b][list]
[/list]

GO HERE!!! -> [url="http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103"]http://winaero.com/c...omment.news.103[/url]

[list]
[/list]
Get it? It can remove/disable the edge panels including the charms bar, app switcher and start button. I can't make it any clearer for you.

Good Luck.
[/quote]

Wow, you said IN YOUR POST:

DisableCharmsHint

Posted

Lulz, you misread it. He's talking about the registry tweak that disable charm hints. The one that completely removes it is the Skip Metro Suite program. But seriously, its like the best solution you got without having to use the Start8 or Classic Shell.

Posted

Yes, I thought you wanted to still be able to active the charms bar, the way I posted just disabled the top right corner (you talked about PS) that way you HAD to start at the bottom right corner and slide up to activate the charms bar.

The program has several check boxes, that will enable you to select which (if any) parts you want to keep active.

Sorry, the bottom four bold comments was a copy paste mistake, I was editing my comment when you posted. It was supposed to look like this.

[QUOTE]
[b]Skip Metro Suite features:[/b][list]
[/list]

GO HERE!!! -> [url="http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103"]http://winaero.com/c...omment.news.103[/url] Get it? It can remove/disable the edge panels including the charms bar, app switcher and start button. I can't make it any clearer for you.

Good Luck.
[/QUOTE]

Posted

[quote name='DavidM' timestamp='1354125410' post='595355210']
Yes, I thought you wanted to still be able to active the charms bar, the way I posted just disabled the top right corner (you talked about PS) that way you HAD to start at the bottom right corner and slide up to activate the charms bar.

The program has several check boxes, that will enable you to select which (if any) parts you want to keep active.

Sorry, the bottom four bold comments was a copy paste mistake, I was editing my comment when you posted. It was supposed to look like this.
[/quote]

Sorry, I thought you did that on purpose, so I got mad and did it too!

When you said the program would do the registry settings myself, I thought your warning would also work for that program. I thought you meant that program would JUST do the registry tweaks you mentioned.

So I will have to end up using a third party program? I might as well use Start 8 then if I have to use something to fix it.

Posted

the color palette is too far from the corner to mistakenly hit the hot corner that many times. if you were talking about hitting the x, maybe I would believe you. windows 8 bashing thread in disguise?

Posted

[quote name='vcfan' timestamp='1354126064' post='595355250']
the color palette is too far from the corner to mistakenly hit the hot corner that many times. if you were talking about hitting the x, maybe I would believe you. windows 8 bashing thread in disguise?
[/quote]

You know you can detach those dialogs right?

Posted

Can someone enlighten me how you can activate the charms bar by accident!? The whole black bar, not just the hints.
I sometimes hit the top left hot corner by accident, but to active charms bar you got to go the right corners and swipe the mouse up the side of the screen. How can you do that by accident?

I use photoshop a lot and ive never managed to do that.

The only other time I sometime activate the charms hint by accident is by trying to click the show desktop button on the taskbar.

However, as i said, ive never activate the whole charms bar by accident.

Posted

[quote name='Guth' timestamp='1354126609' post='595355272']
Can someone enlighten me how you can activate the charms bar by accident!? The whole black bar, not just the hints.
I sometimes hit the top left hot corner by accident, but to active charms bar you got to go the right corners and swipe the mouse up the side of the screen. How can you do that by accident?

I use photoshop a lot and ive never managed to do that.

The only other time I sometime activate the charms hint by accident is by trying to click the show desktop button on the taskbar.

However, as i said, ive never activate the whole charms bar by accident.
[/quote]

Um maybe I change a color in the dialog and go to the layers dialog which I keep at the very bottom right. I detach the dialogs.

So when I go to the colors dialog, I activate the "hint" then I go straight to the layers down and there we go, full Charms is activated. I have done this for years, it is a habit and with windows 8 I need to move my mouse to the left to get the hint off, then go diagonal to the bottom right side of the screen.

Posted

If you install [url="http://www.startisback.com"]StartIsBack[/url] that has an option to disable the charms bar (you can still bring it up with winkey + c)

Posted

[quote name='xWhiplash' timestamp='1354126931' post='595355282']
Um maybe I change a color in the dialog and go to the layers dialog which I keep at the very bottom right. I detach the dialogs.

So when I go to the colors dialog, I activate the "hint" then I go straight to the layers down and there we go, full Charms is activated. I have done this for years, it is a habit and with windows 8 I need to move my mouse to the left to get the hint off, then go diagonal to the bottom right side of the screen.
[/quote]

You can press the left mouse button,middle button, or any key that doesn't do anything in PS to get rid of the hint. Why not just move the dialog a little to the left? Does PS have a true full screen option? The charms hints are disable when I go full screen in Blender and WMP.

Posted

[quote name='Doli' timestamp='1354127539' post='595355312']
You can press the left mouse button,middle button, or any key that doesn't do anything in PS to get rid of the hint. Why not just move the dialog a little to the left?
[/quote]

I could do that, but I have been doing it that way for years. I forget which version CS1? But ever since they allowed you to detach those dialogs, I built my own workspace and I like it that way. I guess I can attach them again. But I have need ever to use the charms bar on the desktop. Which is why I was hoping there would be a control panel setting or something somewhere.

Posted

I see.
My layers are in the bottom right so never going that near to the corners of my screen. I never use the colour pallets. I guess I can see how - if you had the colours pallet at the bottom right- that you could accidentally activate it.

[s]Couldn't you just move the colours pallet away from the corners, that way you wont be trying to aim the small colour squares and be going close to the corners of the screen.[/s]
Never mind about that, just saw this
[quote name='xWhiplash' timestamp='1354127854' post='595355324']
.. But ever since they allowed you to detach those dialogs, I built my own workspace and I like it that way.......
[/quote]

Posted

How about snapping a metro app on the right side, so the desktop shifts left and you can use small buttons on Photoshop's corners.

Posted

On Jan 21, 2013 I installed Skip Metro Suite in Windows 8. I would now like to uninstall it but cannot figure out how. I don't know what version I have. The file in my Downloads file does not open to anything. I did a Search and found a file, but it does not open to anything. How can I uninstall or disable this software?