Photo

I Took The Plunge To Android Land...Oh Boy.

galaxy note 2

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#16 StandingInAlley

StandingInAlley

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:57

If you love custom roms, don't pick Samsung. They still haven't released the source code of Exynos 4 processor found in S3 and Note 2 which is creating a big havoc in terms of getting stable custom roms, camera, hardware gpu acceleration etc.

Congrats on your buy btw :)

#17 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:07

im sure the note 2 is a good piece of hardware, but i see hardly any reason for that pen input. it just feels awkward and does not feel natural. i had the note 1 and i had to sell it. i mean what do you really do with that pen input? are there really that nice real life scenarios where you need it? i dont know ...

#18 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:12

Are you a long time iPhone user (did you have more iPhones before your 4S?)

#19 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 14:54

Are you a long time iPhone user (did you have more iPhones before your 4S?)

yes I have always had iPhones. This is my first real Android experience. Lets hope its a good one

#20 reactionary007

reactionary007

christian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 15:17

Congrats. I bought a Galaxy S3 just a few weeks back and I love it. Came from an iPhone too. It is true that the US variant of the S3 has a dual core processor - but it also has 2 GB of RAM - not just 1.

May get a Note eventually. My wife's line is upgrade eligible soon and she likes the S3 - so may take that upgrade and give her this phone. At $299 though - have to see if we go over the fiscal cliff first :D

#21 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 29 November 2012 - 15:30

The Galaxy S3 was a fine phone but it had a dual core and 1GB of RAM.

i was gonna say no your wrong then realised ur in USA lol

the S3 LtE over here has quad core and 2gb ram

#22 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 29 November 2012 - 15:39

Nice choice of phone, you're gonna love it. I have the S3 and it's an awesome phone. One comment though, not sure if AT&T is different, but the Verizon branded S3 has the dual core with 2 GB RAM, I just checked to make sure after i saw your comment lol.

#23 MurkWorks

MurkWorks

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 15:45

Sprints the same as yours. Dual Core, 2GB of RAM. And Sprint's has Jelly Bean.

Nice choice of phone, you're gonna love it. I have the S3 and it's an awesome phone. One comment though, not sure if AT&T is different, but the Verizon branded S3 has the dual core with 2 GB RAM, I just checked to make sure after i saw your comment lol.

#24 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 29 November 2012 - 15:48

Sprints the same as yours. Dual Core, 2GB of RAM. And Sprint's has Jelly Bean.

Mine has Jelly Bean too, installed the leaked verizon JB ROM that's posted on XDA :p

#25 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 15:48

If you love custom roms, don't pick Samsung. They still haven't released the source code of Exynos 4 processor found in S3 and Note 2 which is creating a big havoc in terms of getting stable custom roms, camera, hardware gpu acceleration etc.

Congrats on your buy btw :)

im sure the note 2 is a good piece of hardware, but i see hardly any reason for that pen input. it just feels awkward and does not feel natural. i had the note 1 and i had to sell it. i mean what do you really do with that pen input? are there really that nice real life scenarios where you need it? i dont know ...

The Note 2 and S3 have their open source files available for a long time... That's not Samsung's fault if devs can't make good use of it.

Also with the Note 2 you have so many features that you can't get with custom ROMs, that it is really not necessary anymore. I used to install CM10, but Samsung's multi-billion resources are paying well right now. I can't complain anymore.

Regarding the pen... Well, you may not use it, but it is a great addition with a low price increase (compared to the S3) and you can use it to hover like a mouse on webpages and for tips on buttons, etc... I use it only sometimes, but it is great to know that it is there if I need it. :)

#26 StandingInAlley

StandingInAlley

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 November 2012 - 16:06

The Note 2 and S3 have their open source files available for a long time... That's not Samsung's fault if devs can't make good use of it.

That's correct but it was only for ICS. with JB, things have changed a lot. Anyway why not hear it from the devs themselves than i arguing?

https://plus.google....sts/Q1yVmqtubG9

#27 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 16:29

That's correct but it was only for ICS. with JB, things have changed a lot. Anyway why not hear it from the devs themselves than i arguing?

https://plus.google....sts/Q1yVmqtubG9

Yeah, thanks for the link.

I know Entropy from XDA... He hates Samsung. Actually, that is some kind of pressure he is putting over Samsung (as usual) but the CM team is actually very spoiled and I can bet that they're pretty jealous of Samsung's improvement over their own software. There are many, many features that Samsung is not obliged to open (those are Samsung's sales advantage) and Entropy HATES that. Also, I had CM9 on my Note 1 and there was a bug with SMS messages even on supposedly stable CM9, where sometimes SMS was not being delivered and there was no way of knowing that. Also Samsung had nothing to do with that. But they (he) refused to fix it because it was not priority. Well... Samsung would never let that happen.

I'm not a fanboy on any of those sides. I just want my phone working with all the features that are available to it, and it is me the one who has to judge what feature is priority.

I got a little tired of all that. I'm using the official ROM and if I want other themes and additional features, I go for deodexed ROMs with them. ;)

#28 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 29 November 2012 - 16:36

Yeah, thanks for the link.

I know Entropy from XDA... He hates Samsung. Actually, that is some kind of pressure he is putting over Samsung (as usual) but the CM team is actually very spoiled and I can bet that they're pretty jealous of Samsung's improvement over their own software. There are many, many features that Samsung is not obliged to open (those are Samsung's sales advantage) and Entropy HATES that. Also, I had CM9 on my Note 1 and there was a bug with SMS messages even on supposedly stable CM9, where sometimes SMS was not being delivered and there was no way of knowing that. Also Samsung had nothing to do with that. But they (he) refused to fix it because it was not priority. Well... Samsung would never let that happen.

I'm not a fanboy on any of those sides. I just want my phone working with all the features that are available to it, and it is me the one who has to judge what feature is priority.

I got a little tired of all that. I'm using the official ROM and if I want other themes and additional features, I go for deodexed ROMs with them. ;)

Might have something to do with Kondik (Cyanogen) working for Samsung in OS development, it wasn't too long after he joined that TW stopped sucking and became the nice skin we currrently have on the S3/Note2

#29 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 16:40

Might have something to do with Kondik (Cyanogen) working for Samsung in OS development, it wasn't too long after he joined that TW stopped sucking and became the nice skin we currrently have on the S3/Note2

Thanks for the intel :D

#30 NeoPogo

NeoPogo

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 16:41

Congrats! Good thing you have the quad core to make up for the slow performing OS.