Photo

I Took The Plunge To Android Land...Oh Boy.

galaxy note 2

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:04

Usually to remove bloatware you'll need root access, as these are system apps.

Also : Great choice going Android. You've definately picked a winner. (Y)
I'm considering the Note 2 myself, but i'd still prefer a QWERTY slider phone...

Same here. Im waiting for the next QWERTY android phone....

How is the S3 more phone if it has inferior hardware? Please explain

You posted it yourself...

Well I got news for you all. I don't know if its bad or good, but here it is:

I returned the Note II and got a Galaxy S3 instead. Here's why:

1. The Note II was just too big to carry around
2. The screen was not as bright and sharp as the S3.
3. The text messenger UI was laggy. The S3 for some reason is not.
4. The Home Button was also laggy. The S3 did not have that problem.
5. The Email UI was doing funny things earlier today. Flashing and stuff. Not good.

So I finally decided to just return it and get the S3. It doesn't have the wonderful quad-core the Note II has, but it seems to work just fine and I can actually carry it!

maybe in the future I will get a Galaxy Note 3 or 4 or 5. We'll see down the road.

great choice but....

Well I returned the S3 and got the Note 2 again and this time I am keeping it. That screen and hardware is just too awesome to let it go...LOL

....then another bad choice.

The screen:

The Note 2 is
5.55 in (141 mm) diagonal with 16:9 aspect ratio widescreen
HD Super AMOLED touchscreen
1,280×720 pixels (267 ppi), non-pentile (S-Stripe RGB) (3 subpixels/pixel)
Contrast ratio: 402 (nominal) / 2.307:1 (sunlight)
16M colors

The S3 is
4.8 in (120 mm) diagonal with 16:9 aspect ratio widescreen
720x1280 pixels (306 ppi) and RGBG-Matrix (PenTile)[7]
Contrast ratio: infinite (nominal) / 3.419:1 (sunlight)
16M colors

Yup, the S3 has higher PPI. So the screen is not that "awesome" anymore because the S3's screen is slightly better.

#62 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:09

Well I returned the S3 and got the Note 2 again and this time I am keeping it. That screen and hardware is just too awesome to let it go...LOL

I wonder what options you would get if you wanted iOS... :shifty:

Just teasing :D

OFF TOPIC: The option to like a post is gone on Neowin??

#63 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:26

im sure the note 2 is a good piece of hardware, but i see hardly any reason for that pen input. it just feels awkward and does not feel natural. i had the note 1 and i had to sell it. i mean what do you really do with that pen input? are there really that nice real life scenarios where you need it? i dont know ...

I just picked up an AT&T Note to use with straight talk around 2 weeks ago, never thought I would use the pen but I have used it every day for one thing or another.

#64 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:39

OFF TOPIC: The option to like a post is gone on Neowin??

<offtopic>
See here.
</offtopic>

@Scorbing - ONE OF US. ONE OF US. Seriously though, how are you finding the large screen? Do you find it inconvenient at all? I was tempted to pick up a Note 1 when I upgraded at the start of the year, but I decided against for fear that I'd not like it.

#65 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:38

Same here. Im waiting for the next QWERTY android phone....

You posted it yourself...

great choice but....

....then another bad choice.

The screen:

The Note 2 is
5.55 in (141 mm) diagonal with 16:9 aspect ratio widescreen
1,280×720 pixels (267 ppi), non-pentile (S-Stripe RGB) (3 subpixels/pixel)
Contrast ratio: 402 (nominal) / 2.307:1 (sunlight)
16M colors

The S3 is
4.8 in (120 mm) diagonal with 16:9 aspect ratio widescreen
720x1280 pixels (306 ppi) and RGBG-Matrix (PenTile)[7]
Contrast ratio: infinite (nominal) / 3.419:1 (sunlight)
16M colors

Yup, the S3 has higher PPI. So the screen is not that "awesome" anymore because the S3's screen is slightly better.

I have to disagree. I don't know what Galaxy Note 2 screen you have been looking at but the Note 2 has an amazing screen. to me, it looks much better than the S3. Also, the Note 2 has better hardware than the S3 on AT&T in the U.S.

Here in the USA, the S3 has a dual core while the Note 2 has a Quad Core. The exact same quad core chip that's on the S3 European version. Sorry but the Note 2 is faster, more fluid, smoother than that S3 I had.

#66 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:29

Samsung are innovators.

Smart stay/smart rotation/one handed keyboard - these three features solve often complained about problems.

#67 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:06

And after all that, the AT&T SGSIII just got it's jellybean update last night. I suspect Jellybean makes the S3 every bit as smooth as the Note 2.

I'm with you on the screen though. Pentile sucks, doesn't it? If you want to keep trying them all, go for the One X next. It has the best screen of them all.

#68 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:41

I'm pretty happy with the Note 2 right now. The screen size is what I like. For what I do at work, it is awesome.

#69 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:10

I'm pretty happy with the Note 2 right now. The screen size is what I like. For what I do at work, it is awesome.

Well, I won't say I'm not at least a little jealous. My phones are getting bigger and bigger, but I just don't think I can jump quite that far yet. Still, just imagine the Draw Something games you could have! :laugh:

#70 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:13

Scorbing, take a look at this, as that was one of your complaints: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2018861

Works great BTW :D

#71 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 04 December 2012 - 16:08

Scorbing, take a look at this, as that was one of your complaints: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2018861

Works great BTW :D

Oh yeah...LOL...Thanks Luis. I got that done already. It works fine now.

#72 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 December 2012 - 16:52

Why stop there? I suggest you push it to the limit! New phone every week for your whole 2 year contract.

#73 micro

micro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 December 2012 - 16:56

It is not a big deal now, but it will be soon. Apps and OSs get more and more demanding so having the extra hardware and power is just like having a condom:

Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, by the time mobile os's and apps actually require quad core to run great, that phone will be long outdated. Especially in the android world.

#74 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:02

Unfortunately, by the time mobile os's and apps actually require quad core to run great, that phone will be long outdated. Especially in the android world.

OK and your point? If they give you a choice to get a phone with dual core or a phone with a quad core for the same exact price, wouldn't you get the quad core one instead?

I think you would.

Why stop there? I suggest you push it to the limit! New phone every week for your whole 2 year contract.

LOL...LOL...LOL

Yes at the rate its going, carries are gonna have to get rid of that 2 year contract crap and let people upgrade their phones every time a new version comes out, which is like you say, every week!......LOL...LOL

#75 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:10

OK and your point? If they give you a choice to get a phone with dual core or a phone with a quad core for the same exact price, wouldn't you get the quad core one instead?

I think you would.

Actually no. When given the choice between my International One X (Tegra 3) and an AT&T One X (long story, insurance replaced the international version with an AT&T version because they didn't pay attention), I chose the AT&T version due to the S4 which is newer architecture and is very comparable to the Tegra 3, even beating it in a number of benchmarks. Plus, the battery life is far better. (And in the case of the One X, the Tegra didn't have LTE, not a consideration for you though).

That said, I do put the Exynos 4412 a little above the Tegra 3, so I think the difference is a little larger between the two, but you're basically arguing about which of the elites is better... well, not so much elites at this point. The S4, Tegra 3, and Exynos 4412 are all fast enough to run the Android OS perfectly smooth and with no noticeable difference. If you are a gamer, the Exynos has the Mali 400 GPU which is better, but as far as processing power there isn't a noticeable difference. The bigger difference you saw between the devices was that the Note II was on JB and the SGS III was on ICS.