Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

uk Richard O'Dwyer escapes extradition to US

6 posts in this topic

Posted

did a search and found no other topic if there is one please delete then again one might have poped up while making this one.

Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales has called for a review of Anglo-USextradition arrangements after a legal agreement struck by Sheffield Hallam student Richard O'Dwyer to avoid extradition to America on copyright charges.

Wales, who launched a campaign with the Guardian against O'Dwyer's extradition that garnered more than 250,000 signatures, welcomed a settlement announced in the high court on Wednesday morning, and called for reform to prevent similar cases in future.

"This is very exciting news, and I'm pleased to hear it," he said. "What needs to happen next is a serious reconsideration of the UK extradition treaty that would allow this sort of nonsense in the first place."

O'Dwyer faced up to 10 years in prison in the US over copyright charges relating a website he set up, TVShack.net, which allowed users to share links to free places to watch TV and movies.

On Wednesday, the high court was told O'Dwyer's legal team and the American prosecutors had agreed a draft "deferred prosecution" in the past two days, which requires him to travel to the US and pay a small sum in compensation.

It is understood that the deal will be concluded by Christmas at the latest, and O'Dwyer may fly out to the US as early as next week. Under the terms of the agreement, O'Dwyer will not only avoid a trial and criminal record, but will also then be free to travel internationally. If the UK had merely refused extradition, O'Dwyer would have been at risk of extradition from any foreign country he visited.

O'Dwyer's mother, Julia, who has campaigned relentlessly for her son, said she could not believe the case had turned out "so well"."I didn't know this was going to happen today

Posted

Surprised it has not made bigger news, but it's welcome news.

Posted

Yeah first place i saw it was on The Anim

Posted

Excellent news. Extradition over hyperlinks, what a joke.

1 person likes this

Posted

Glad it shat in the face of the MPAA.

Posted

Excellent news. Extradition over hyperlinks, what a joke.

I know. The world has gotten to be a silly place.