New iMac worth it?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:53

Yep, went ahead and pulled the trigger, same specs. Now the fun part at selling my old machine!

Already did that luckily, got a insanely good price for it too. Macs really hold their value. :laugh:

#17 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:56

I was looking at a breakdown of the two new iMacs and came to the conclusion that they really are nothing more then a MBP built into the iMac body. Now I could be wrong, however, having opened my iMac 29 (mid 2009) to add a SSD it occurred to me that it was nothing more then a MBP. Just my thoughts.

#18 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:02

I was looking at a breakdown of the two new iMacs and came to the conclusion that they really are nothing more then a MBP built into the iMac body. Now I could be wrong, however, having opened my iMac 29 (mid 2009) to add a SSD it occurred to me that it was nothing more then a MBP. Just my thoughts.

The 2009, 2010, 2011 en 2012 iMacs all have desktop CPUs in them, so in that regard they're different. In the 27-inch iMac the only part laptop is de GPU from what I understand, and the optical drive in the previous models of course.

I'm confused though, did you expect to encounter a desktop-grade GPU inside the iMac's thin casing?

#19 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:49

Out of curiosity what is the value of your Mac Pro to resell, in the event that you go for the iMac? Should at least net you 30% of the cost towards the iMac?

#20 OP Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:58

Out of curiosity what is the value of your Mac Pro to resell, in the event that you go for the iMac? Should at least net you 30% of the cost towards the iMac?

Did a search on craigslist for other peoples postings (all of the states), and went by their pricing of a simliar spec'd mac pro, which was around 1200~. Mine has the ssd, newer graphics card (by apple's standards).

#21 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 16:14

I'm confused though, did you expect to encounter a desktop-grade GPU inside the iMac's thin casing?

On a desktop computer? One would hope so. I don't understand what the value of going so thin is outside of aesthetics and price gouging when they make it nearly impossible to change components on your own.

#22 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 16:20

why not? they don't take up that much room if they are integrated chips, NVidia had integrated chips that where desktop card quality that took up not much room at all

#23 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 30 November 2012 - 16:24

why not? they don't take up that much room if they are integrated chips, NVidia had integrated chips that where desktop card quality that took up not much room at all

If that was a reasonable option, even in the previous models, I'm sure they would have done so. In this regard nothing has changed between the 2009 and 2012 design. The only trade-off I find completely unacceptable in the current 21,5-inch iMac is the fact it comes with a laptop HDD and a 5400rpm model at that. From what I understand the 27-inch iMac doesn't suffer that issue luckily.

#24 hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

GFX n00b

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 30 November 2012 - 16:35

Anyone know where I could get benchmarks to compare the two cpus? Not even sure what model i7 is in the new iMacs

http://www.cpubenchm...-3770 @ 3.40GHz

http://www.cpubenchm...E5462 @ 2.80GHz
(x2)

#25 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:15

I'd like to meet the genius who redesigned the iMac and thought putting the headphone jack and card reader on the back was a good idea.

#26 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:23

I'd like to meet the genius who redesigned the iMac and thought putting the headphone jack and card reader on the back was a good idea.

Here you go:

http://www.apple.com...nathan-ive.html

#27 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:27

I think that the iMacs are great but wasn't overly impressed with the refresh. I wouldn't be surprised if they bump up the resolution of the 27" next year. It has sported the same resolution for years now....

#28 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:29

Here you go:

http://www.apple.com...nathan-ive.html

I doubt it, unless he ok'd some decision to just poke some holes in the back for those ports instead of routing them somewhere useful.

#29 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:31

It has sported the same resolution for years now....

Yes, so?

I doubt it, unless he ok'd some decision to just poke some holes in the back for those ports instead of routing them somewhere useful.

Why would I want to see my external speaker set's cable sticking out of the front, side or bottom all the time? I have no idea.

#30 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:33

Yes, so?

Read the sentence before that. That's what I call: supporting evidence...along with Retina-everything...