nypd tourist photo facebook

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 bguy_1986

bguy_1986

Neowinian

• 1,495 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 17:29

Amen, brother. Was thinking the same thing.

Ignore the fact that the guy is homeless and why he is homeless....

It's great to hear news like this, but I'd much rather hear stories about people helping themselves, and getting out of the bad situations they are in without help of others or the government. That would restore my faith in humanity a lot more than somebody helping a bum by buying him something. The whole give a man a fish/teach a man how to fish kind of senario...

#17 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,471 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:01

How about some cheap sneakers ? :huh:

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:08

Good on the cop, if I have anything spare I try to give it to someone who needs it, but sadly (hopefully not in this case), homeless are not actually as poorly off as they make out to be

Example of a homeless girl from the UK who begged every day, eventually was arrested for a drugs charge and police discovered not only did she have a house, it was fitted out with the latest gadgets, consoles etc

I know the US doesn't have long term unemployment like we do so could be a completely different kettle of fish so to speak

#19 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,721 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:12

Police officers do this type of thing all of the time and are never recognized for the good that they do.

true but it takes someone to make it viral. This is still a good thing.

#20 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,471 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:14

... homeless are not actually as poorly off as they make out to be.

ooo00oo ... You musta been talking to Romney. :p

#21 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:18

ooo00oo ... You musta been talking to Romney. :p

:p I should have said "Some" lol

I've been homeless and it sucks, suddenly everything that was available to you with an address, is gone, and all these homeless help centres have excuse after excuse as to why you don't qualify for help

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:36

Didn't I read where now the homeless man isn't wearing his shiny, new shoes anymore?

#23 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,471 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:42

Didn't I read where now the homeless man isn't wearing his shiny, new shoes anymore?

;) Probably here:

Homeless man given boots is barefoot again

The homeless man who was photographed being given a pair of boots by a New York City police officer in Times Square on a bitterly cold night last month was spotted on the Upper West Side on Sunday. And he was once again barefoot.

"Those shoes are hidden," Jeffrey Hillman, the 54-year-old homeless man, told the New York Times. "They are worth a lot of money—I could lose my life."

"I appreciate what the officer did, don't get me wrong," Hillman added. "I wish there were more people like him in the world."

http://news.yahoo.co...-134758145.html

#24 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,471 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:14

Barefoot homeless man not actually homeless

The barefoot homeless man who received new shoes from a kindhearted NYPD cop isn’t actually homeless — and has a sad history of refusing help from loved ones and the government.

For the past year, Jeffrey Hillman has had an apartment in the Bronx paid for through a combination of federal Section 8 rent vouchers and Social Security disability and veterans benefits.

But nevertheless, the now-famous nomad has continued to panhandle and cling to the cold streets of Gotham.

“Outreach teams from the Department of Homeless Services continue to attempt to work with him, but he has a history of turning down services,” said Barbara Brancaccio, a spokeswoman for the city agency.

The Daily News discovered Hillman had a loving, supportive family in Nazareth, Pa. — another sign that there is no easy fix for his predicament.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1212779

#25 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:07

Wow, not sure I like the rest of the story.I guess some people just can't be helped.

#26 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:28

Could it be any other way?