Surface Pro Pricing Revealed - 64GB for $899

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2012/11/29/next-up-for-the-surface-family-surface-with-windows-8-pro-pricing.aspx

It?s hard to believe it?s been just over a month since Surface with Windows RT hit the market. The response from Surface customers has been fantastic and exciting to see. In addition to sharing the terrific results that Microsoft is seeing with Windows 8 at a technology conference earlier this week, we also announced that Surface with Windows 8 Pro would be available in January 2013.

Today, I want to share a bit more detail about the growing Surface family of products and Surface with Windows 8 Pro, specifically around pricing. In January, Surface with Windows 8 Pro will be available in two versions and pricing will start at $899:

? 64GB standalone version at $899

? 128GB standalone version at $999

Both versions will both include a Surface pen with Palm Block technology and include the ability to use a Touch Cover or Type Cover (sold separately).

Surface with Windows 8 Pro uses the same familiar elegant design principles as Surface with Windows RT including the Dark Titanium VaporMg casing, dual 2x2 MIMO antennas designed specifically for Surface and of course the kickstand.

However, it also has some differences.

On the inside, Surface with Windows 8 Pro will come with Intel?s next generation Core i5 processor. This chip will give Surface with Windows 8 Pro a graphics boost for its 10.6? 16:9 ClearType display that runs at a 1920x1080 full HD resolution. Surface with Windows 8 Pro also includes a full-size USB 3.0 port. Its Mini DisplayPort can drive an external display up to 2560X1440 resolution. And, as I mentioned above, Surface with Windows 8 Pro will support Pen input. This is an amazing feature for all you note-takers or document editors out there, especially since it has expanded capacitive and digitizing technology we?re calling Palm Block that will prevent your handwriting from getting interrupted if you accidently place your palm on the screen as you write. This feature is pretty cool, and allows for a great inking experience alongside a great touch experience when needed.

Surface with Windows 8 Pro will run your current Windows 7 desktop applications ? it?s a full PC AND a tablet.

And all this in a PC that will weigh less than two pounds and be less than 14 millimeters thick.

We are excited about both Surface with Windows RT and Surface with Windows 8 Pro.

For more details on Surface with Windows 8 Pro and Surface with Windows RT, you can visitSurface.com, find us on Surface on Facebook. Or follow Surface or me on Twitter for additional updates.

Ouch. It would be a good price if it included the keyboard cover. So this basically starts at $1000+ with keyboard. I can see this being a tough sell over an ultrabook.

They should at least have a 256 GB model available, if not a 512 GB one as well; this is a real laptop after-all. The 64 GB model would be totally useless for me.

And without a touch cover included with the package there are better alternatives available.

Ouch. It would be a good price if it included the keyboard cover. So this basically starts at $1000+ with keyboard. I can see this being a tough sell over an ultrabook.

With a portable keyboard. It has USB ports, if you wanted you could dock this and use it as a PC, and use the pen on the go.

With a portable keyboard. It has USB ports, if you wanted you could dock this and use it as a PC, and use the pen on the go.

That's true. I forgot that it had USB ports. (Y)

Not bad, I figured they'd charge under 1K for these and that depending on what cover you want the price will go over by a bit. I wonder if they'll come out while I'm still in the US.

wow, you 'd have to be an idiot to think these prices are good.... what a rip off.... :/

and yet people tell us the Mac Air, which is priced higher and without a pen digitizer or the ability to run millions of apps, but yet people think that is a good deal and buy those.

• Like 3

This is actually the version I'm interested in getting - although I think it's around $100 too high.

Really? Surface Pro being basically an ultrabook (spec wise), I think Microsoft priced it very reasonably.

I think we all hoped it would be a bit cheaper, or include a Touch cover for this price.

But if you look at what you get it seems pretty fair to me.

Wonder what they meant with the new i5 processor, would it be one version up from IvyBridge?

Will it have connected standby like the new ATOM processors do?

No thanks. I don't buy into the whole ultrabook fad, overpriced tinkertoys aren't my cup of tea.

No thanks. I don't buy into the whole ultrabook fad, overpriced tinkertoys aren't my cup of tea.

Ultrabooks aren't a fad. They're just the next logical step that laptops were going to reach anyway. Laptops were going to become thinner, have more battery life, yet be more powerful. What else would they do?

It was going to happen whether they were branded, "Ultrabooks" or not.

Unlike netbooks which really were tinkertoys.