Surface Pro Pricing Revealed - 64GB for $899

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 nohone

nohone

Neowinian Senior

• 2,045 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:13

That's true. I forgot that it had USB ports. (Y)

And Bluetooth for wireless keyboards and mice

#17 +PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

• 1,331 posts
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 1020

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:16

That's a lot to pay in money/weight/battery just to get domain join...

Lol, I hope you are joking

#18 nohone

nohone

Neowinian Senior

• 2,045 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:18

wow, you 'd have to be an idiot to think these prices are good.... what a rip off.... :/

and yet people tell us the Mac Air, which is priced higher and without a pen digitizer or the ability to run millions of apps, but yet people think that is a good deal and buy those.

#19 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,696 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:21

Lol, I hope you are joking

Stop thinking so much, Thanks :shifty:

#20 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,582 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:09

This is actually the version I'm interested in getting - although I think it's around $100 too high.

Really? Surface Pro being basically an ultrabook (spec wise), I think Microsoft priced it very reasonably.

#21 hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

• 155 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 21:24

I can't wait for MS to start steamrolling over Apple and thinks get back to normal like they used to be! ;)

#22 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 2,102 posts
  • Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 29 November 2012 - 21:33

I think we all hoped it would be a bit cheaper, or include a Touch cover for this price.
But if you look at what you get it seems pretty fair to me.

Wonder what they meant with the new i5 processor, would it be one version up from IvyBridge?
Will it have connected standby like the new ATOM processors do?

#23 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:01

No thanks. I don't buy into the whole ultrabook fad, overpriced tinkertoys aren't my cup of tea.

#24 Kyang

Kyang

• 1,181 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:07

No thanks. I don't buy into the whole ultrabook fad, overpriced tinkertoys aren't my cup of tea.

Ultrabooks aren't a fad. They're just the next logical step that laptops were going to reach anyway. Laptops were going to become thinner, have more battery life, yet be more powerful. What else would they do?
It was going to happen whether they were branded, "Ultrabooks" or not.

Unlike netbooks which really were tinkertoys.

#25 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,652 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:13

http://videos.cnet.c...aptop-39037247/ this is what real men use.

small laptops are for losers, real heroes carry the monster.

#26 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,915 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:15

I can't wait for MS to start steamrolling over Apple and thinks get back to normal like they used to be! ;)

Not in the tablet space.. I just cannot see it personally.

Price wise - damn that's pretty steep.. :|

#27 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:17

I agree with the majority here. I think the price is fair, but it's certainly not great or even what I'd call good. If you're in the market for a cheap new system, it fits the bill pretty well, but far more powerful systems will not cost a whole lot more, which could hurt sales. And I agree, I think a keyboard should have been included with Windows 8 Pro tablets. A far more powerful and functional system needs to be differentiated from the basic Surface. I'd say 99% of the people that use a Surface will use a keyboard and mouse with it. Though, you could say that they are leaving the customer with the choice of what keyboard and mouse to purchase, and at a far lower price than the touch cover, just not as sleek. I haven't used a touch cover yet, but it doesn't look like the best for extended use.

What really ****es me off with all tablet and phone sales is the BS price gap based on storage amounts. An upgrade from 64 GB to 128 GB doesn't cost $100, it's just become the standard price jump for doubling capacity. As usual, you buy the smaller capacity and it might be too small, you buy the bigger capacity and you get ripped off. Though a 64 to 128 jump might be a little closer to $100 than phone makers charging $100 extra to go from 8GB to 16GB or 16GB to 32GB.

#28 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• 5,334 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:24

and yet people tell us the Mac Air, which is priced higher and without a pen digitizer or the ability to run millions of apps, but yet people think that is a good deal and buy those.

I don't care about what Apple's got going on, that's an insane amount of money you spend and getting that sort of hardware for that price...... mmm....I don't know...

#29 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:27

Ultrabooks aren't a fad. They're just the next logical step that laptops were going to reach anyway. Laptops were going to become thinner, have more battery life, yet be more powerful. What else would they do?
It was going to happen whether they were branded, "Ultrabooks" or not.

Unlike netbooks which really were tinkertoys.

I don't compromise functionality for size, I'm not a hipster. Probably why I still favour a good old desktop.

#30 laz45

laz45

Neowinian

• 1,285 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:35

I was thinking more like $499-$599. All I want is a surface with Windows 8 and not the stupid RT metro apps only crap