160k PlayStation Vitas were sold during Black Friday week

We covered that Microsoft sold 750,000 Xbox 360s during the week of Black Friday in the United States, so now it's Sony's turn. The company has its own stats for the big shopping week, sharing that compared to the same period last year, PlayStation 3 Black Friday bundle sales increased 15 percent and total PS3 sales (hardware, software, and peripherals) rose 9 percent.

Specifically, upwards of 525,000 PS3 consoles were sold during November 18-24. Of course, many are curious about how the PlayStation Vita is performing; Sony is reporting that 160,000 units were sold. "The demand was very strong which quickly depleted our inventory across retailers nationwide," said SCEA president and CEO Jack Tretton.

It's also worth pointing out that PlayStation Plus subscriptions jumped 259 percent versus last year. It makes sense, though -- Sony has really been pushing the service lately and the quality of its offerings seems to have risen dramatically in recent times.

Sales are continuing upward for the PS3 and that's a good thing, especially after that terrible start. I was actually more amazed by Vita sales. I was under the impression no one was buying them.

I find it amusing both the PS3 and the 360, which are both 6+ years old, outsold the Wii U on launch week.

How is that amusing? Nintendo made a lot of sales over the last week (see below for source).

Wii U: 400k

Wii: 300k

3DS: 250k

DS: 275k

Total: 1M+

I think Nintendo did pretty well. The Wii U went up against 2 well-established consoles that have titles like Halo 4 and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

Also:

"Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock," Fils-Aime said. "Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they're selling out immediately."

Source: CNET

Anyway, I'm glad Sony sold more than 150k PS Vitas. More sales would mean more developers making games and that's what the Vita is lacking right now. My brother has one so I had a chance to use it and I love the hardware (especially the screen).

How is that amusing? Nintendo made a lot of sales over the last week (see below for source).

6 year old consoles outselling a new one... On launch week.. Launch Week! Seems funny to me.

6 year old consoles outselling a new one... On launch week.. Launch Week! Seems funny to me.

I'll assume that you're implying because it's new, it should have outsold the PS3 and X360. Did you conveniently ignore the quote that says "Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock"? It's possible that they would have sold more than 400k units. And it's not like they're doing bad or worse than they expected. Nintendo is selling as many Wii U consoles as possible in the US. Basically, the rate at which it's sold is dependant on how fast Nintendo can ship the Wii U to retailers.

Also, I forgot to mention that the numbers I posted earlier are US sales.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll assume that you're implying because it's new, it should have outsold the PS3 and X360. Did you conveniently ignore the quote that says "Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock"? It's possible that they would have sold more than 400k units. And it's not like they're doing bad or worse than they expected. Nintendo is selling as many Wii U consoles as possible in the US. Basically, the rate at which it's sold is dependant on how fast Nintendo can ship the Wii U to retailers.

Also, I forgot to mention that the numbers I posted earlier are US sales.

So Nintendo is going that route again eh. Can't find a wii in any store but the sales numbers are horrible. When the 360 can sell almost a million units and still have stock but Nintendo cant seem to move more then 400k because they ran out?? Either a very stupid company or they are hoping to do what they did with the first wii and give stores 5 at a time to make it look more popular than it really is.