Finder is claiming that 45GB > 98GB

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 December 2012 - 20:26

Sorry to sound silly (never used OSX) but surely it should remove old backups with the newest backup taking precedence instead of hogging your hard drive with an 'archive' of backups?

#17 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 01 December 2012 - 20:27

Sorry to sound silly (never used OSX) but surely it should remove old backups with the newest backup taking precedence instead of hogging your hard drive with an 'archive' of backups?

I believe backups are automatically deleted after a week.

#18 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 01 December 2012 - 20:32

I'm having a similar problem.

Posted Image

#19 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 01 December 2012 - 20:54

98GB isn't enough space for a 45GB file, and 62.4GB isn't enough space to do a 3.1GB time machine backup? Whats going on here?! Permissions?

I vouch OSX knows what its limits are, so it has a reason not to do the copies.. but its such a simple command. Would doing the copy in terminal offer more details?

I think it can merge the newer backups with the old and update any new/modified files, So you have one continuous backup (say daily backups) or it can do a set amount of backups (like save five, which would be a month at one a week) or a set file size limit (backup until 50GB used, then start deleting the oldest files)

Pretty sure you set this up when you setup time machine. Maybe I'm getting confused with rsync.

#20 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:52

looking at that post back on page 1 about other storage on iphone meaning corruption, well I have 44gb of "other" on my HDD, is this corruption?