Photo

Fast Food Workers Launch Strikes Across New York City

manhattan and brooklyn right to unionize national employment law project high company profits

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 AnotherITguy

AnotherITguy

Neowinian

• 899 posts
  • Phone: Iphone 5C 16GB

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:46

Its mcdonalds, many people that work for mcdonalds in other areas don't even get that.

#32 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,423 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:53

<snip> many of which would then avoid fast food.

I don't see how this is a bad thing.

#33 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• 2,427 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:26

here in Alberta, night time shift worker at Mcdonalds is $20+/hr, and for those that don't have transportation, they even come pick you up for work.

That's because they need to. Alberta has a high demand for unskilled labour due to the oil sands, and drilling.. Without paying that much there would simply be no one there to work..

#34 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,164 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:33

You know these are called ENTRY LEVEL Jobs for a reason, it's to get you started in the business world, once you outgrow it you move up in the company or to another. Can't believe some people think flipping burgers at McDonalds is a career

#35 nukenorman

nukenorman

Neowinian

• 1,798 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:48

Businesses like those simply cannot survive paying $15/hr, the costs of the product would go up over 50%, It already costs about $20 to feed a Family of 3 at McDonalds, business will take a drastic nose dive when the same thing costs $30+

If your "Plan A" was to work at McDonalds to support yourself for the rest of your life as non-management, you REALLY need a "Plan B"
These kinds of jobs are not meant as careers, they were meant to utilize unskilled high school level labor, thats why they have internal training for all the basic jobs. Honestly, unskilled labor simply isnt worth $15/hr

You make me laugh. Actually they could afford to pay 15/ an hour and prices would not raise 50% like you said. Workers wages are only small part of the bussiness. Pries would raise slighty but not that much to really drastic change anything. To prove my point McDonalds is in many countries. Many of those workers in those countries get the equivilent to 15 dollars and hour 5 weeks paid vacation and healthcare in those countries. I have eatin at McDonalds in these countries and the prices are not that much more expensive than in the USA plus the workers are better quality being paid those wages. O my a CEO in America might have to take a small paycut wow. You Americans make me laugh when you say it can not be done and that prices are going to raise 50% lol.

America only industriazed country with NO right to healthcare.
America only Industrial country with NO right to paid vacation for workers.
America no right to right to know if your food has no GMOS or not in it as not required on label ( 61 other countries have this ).
Even workers in China get 2 weeks paid vacation and this is comparing apples to oranges cause China is 3rd world and even America does not even have this.
America only 1st world country that you can get fired for no reason and no warning in advance.
And people think America is so great lol.

Workers rights in America are a joke and non existant. I think with the internet people are becoming more educated and I think the young generation in America is starting to wake up.

Most countries have a thing called a living wage not a minimum wage. Not everyone can go to university etc. Its about caring for people at the buttom and less greed in these other countries.

America pays for this by tax payers by having the most people in prison than any other country on the planet!

I forgot also America only 1st world country to not have a right to paid maternity leave from your employer! So many rights that USA lacks I hope I listed them all. Im sure their is more I forgot.

No wonder America has become the sh(t hole to live in it is today.

#36 DPyro

DPyro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,227 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:55

$15 an hour? Are you kidding me? I'm a computer technician and the entry level pay is like $12.50 an hour for an actual skilled labour job. Who do they think they are? I'm so sick of people like this always demanding more.

#37 nukenorman

nukenorman

Neowinian

• 1,798 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:01

America income inquality gap. Yea it is ranked with the 3rd world countries status so not a status to be proud of. Map show on link.

http://en.wikipedia....income_equality

$15 an hour? Are you kidding me? I'm a computer technician and the entry level pay is like $12.50 an hour for an actual skilled labour job. Who do they think they are? I'm so sick of people like this always demanding more.

Its beause Canada and America are low wage countries compared to many other industrliazed countries I have been to. America medium wage only seems high on paper because the billionares push the statistic way up.

No offense to you but those fast food workers work there ass off probably more than you. Plus why do you not tip them but tip workers who work at a resturant just to bring you water? Most resturants in America and Canada the food is pre cooked and they just heat it up and serve to you on a plate and you think they atually cooked it.

And if you are only paid 12.50 an hour specially in Canada cause prices are much higher there in USA. You really need to ask your employer for a pay raise my friend. They are going to pay you as low as they can as long as you take it like that in the back door and dont scream. Just market yourself well and if you have been with the company for awhile you should be deserve to pay alot more.

I guess you should be at least thanksfull you not south of the border in the USA. At least in Canada you have healthcare and 2 weeks paid vacation wich you would probably not be getting if you lived in the USA. Companeis only give healthcare in USA and paid vacation if they are "generous " enough to give it to you but Americans do not have the right like you do north of the border in Canada.

#38 DPyro

DPyro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,227 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:13

No offense to you but those fast food workers work there ass off probably more than you. Plus why do you not tip them but tip workers who work at a resturant just to bring you water? Most resturants in America and Canada the food is pre cooked and they just heat it up and serve to you on a plate and you think they atually cooked it.

Its called a minimum wage for a reason. Anyone can serve fry's at McDonalds, not everyone can troubleshoot computer network's. And have you actually worked at a restaurant? I worked at Swiss Chalet and the fry's are hand made, and chicken sure as hell ain't pre-cooked.

#39 nukenorman

nukenorman

Neowinian

• 1,798 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:20

Its called a minimum wage for a reason. Anyone can serve fry's at McDonalds, not everyone can troubleshoot computer network's. And have you actually worked at a restaurant? I worked at Swiss Chalet and the fry's are hand made, and chicken sure as hell ain't pre-cooked.

Yes I have worked at serveral resturant as bottom guy and in management. Most of the food was frozen and just pre heated in big microwave and served on plates and the customers paid outrageous prices for it.

Not anyone can work in a resturant. If that statement was true then a paralized person could work in a resturant. Plus working in fast food is very fast pace and not every person in perfect health can do it. I have seen many people not last in the fast food or resturant industry. Like I said yes not anyone can trouble shoot networks it why you should get paid more than 12.50 an hour my friend. Man up and ask for a pay raise.

I have a friend who works at a grocery store and all he does is stock shelves ( hard work though ) and he gets paid 18.50 an hour with pension. Maybe you choose the wrong career then cause 12.50 for that work is bad.

Actually if school was free almost anyone could do your job if you eduacated them :-). Its not that hard I know your industry as well. After all this is neowin :-)

#40 DPyro

DPyro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,227 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:22

And if you are only paid 12.50 an hour specially in Canada cause prices are much higher there in USA. You really need to ask your employer for a pay raise my friend. They are going to pay you as low as they can as long as you take it like that in the back door and dont scream. Just market yourself well and if you have been with the company for awhile you should be deserve to pay alot more.

I'm not paid $12.50, I was just making a point that an entry level computer sales/service job is $12.50. Working for an actual business or school board automatically pays $60,00+ a year.

#41 alexander3133

alexander3133

Neowinian

• 47 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:22

..., Kentucky Friend Chicken and ...

:rofl:

#42 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,896 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:42

Net income != profit.
Net income is what is brought in before subtracting any costs.

i lol'd

#43 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,140 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:14

I don't see how this is a bad thing.

It is if you are trying to make a living from fast food. ;)

#44 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• 12,150 posts
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 07 December 2012 - 18:13

How is that? I thought minimum wage was $7.25? Or is that state regulated? :huh:

By not being in the USA, as I said in the post.

#45 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,040 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 07 December 2012 - 23:21

By not being in the USA, as I said in the post.

Misread that, my fault.