Tarantino Calls Death Proof His Worst Film

death-proof-05.jpg

Following his recent talk about his plans for retirement, director Quentin Tarantino has opened up again, this time to fess up that not all of his films are winners.

"Death Proof has got to be the worst movie I ever made," he admitted in a roundtable conversation with The Hollywood Reporter. "And for a left-handed movie, that wasn't so bad, all right? So if that's the worst I ever get, I'm good. But I do think one of those out-of-touch, old, limp, flaccid-d!@k movies costs you three good movies as far as your rating is concerned."

He also cited other filmmakers that he felt stayed in the game past their prime:

"I'm really well versed on a lot of directors' careers, you know, and when you look at those last five films when they were past it, when they were too old, and they're really out of touch with the times, whether it be William Wyler and The Liberation of L.B. Jones or Billy Wilder with Fedora and then Buddy Buddy or whatever the hell. To me, it's all about my filmography, and I want to go out with a terrific filmography."

For the full uncensored interview -- which also includes directors Ben Affleck, Ang Lee, David O. Russell, Tom Hooper and Gus Van Sant -- head on over to The Hollywood Reporter.

Death Proof was a bit of a hard film to get into, it's pacing was all over the place. But hey, I still enjoyed it in bits.

I'd probably say Death Proof is his worst movie, but Kurt Russell's character in that movie is one of his best characters.

I loved it, I know you expect certain things when you go see a Tarantino movie, but the simplified structure of this one compared to his other movies worked well to its advantage. Plus, the last twenty minutes are simply badass.

I enjoyed Death Proof! For me there was always something about Jackie Brown that didn't work for me...maybe I'll get it out and watch it again to see.

Stuntman Mike ~ Hey, Pam, remember when I said this car was death proof? Well, that wasn't a lie. This car is 100% death proof. Only to get the benefit of it, honey, you REALLY need to be sitting in my seat.

DP_071102120315928_wideweb__300x375.jpg

Thought it was a cool film. Sure, not his best film but wasnt as bad as he makes it out to be. Kurt Russell was one of his better characters IMO.

The second half is indeed his worst work. The first half is great.

I think that as a whole Jackie Brown is his worst.

Looking back, Grindhouse was just bad, but I remember really liking most of the experience at the time. I felt that Planet Terror was just horrible, and Death Proof was its drawn out saving grace.

I haven't seen the film, however after reading Tarantino's comments, I almost feel obliged to rent the movie.

Perhaps this was the purpose of his interview?

DP_071102120315928_wideweb__300x375.jpg

Thought it was a cool film. Sure, not his best film but wasnt as bad as he makes it out to be. Kurt Russell was one of his better characters IMO.

Yeah, I enjoyed this movie

so many people have no taste at all, bet they all like watching another identical M. Night Shyamalan movie though now there's a one trick pony no talent director.