Taurus Judge - First Impression

So I actually fired a Taurus Judge on camera for the first time today. I recorded a video of the experience for YouTube which is currently uploading, but I noticed something. I had a very hard time shooting it accurately. I felt like I had a good grip and put the bead right where I wanted it, but I found it difficult to tell exactly how my sights were lined up. I'd say it'll just take some getting used to because I picked up my pistol and put a round right in the bulls-eye.

Anybody here have a Judge? What do you think of it? Have you had similar issues shooting it accurately?

So here's the video of the Taurus Judge. I'm willing to blame myself for the poor performance because I've seen other people do well with a Judge, but for some reason I hit almost dead center with the first round out of my pistol, and couldn't really hit anything with the Judge. Anyway, here's the video:

I wouldn't be that hard on yourself... That's a lot of power and a short barrel. Heck of a kick!

I have a S&W .40 too... my favorite is my S&W .38 tho'. I am a sucker for a revolver. :)

Practice Practice Practice

What are you primarily going to use this firearm for, self-defense?

From the day I bought my Kimber 1911, I could put tight groupings on a target without a problem. Then I got my concealed carry license and didn't want to carry such a bulky gun all day. I then bought a Kahr PM9 which took quite a while to get accurate with. Such a light and small gun chambered in 9mm has quite a kick to it. But after quite a bit of practice at the range, I am now as accurate with it as I am with my 1911.

Long story short, you're new to this firearm, put some practice into it and you'll get accurate.

The Judge is not very accurate. It was developed to be a very close quarters weapon to be used by South American judges & prosecutors - very high risk professions down there.

The Judge is also rather stocky at 29 oz empty. OTOH, the Ruger LCR-357 (.357 Mag/38 Spl +P) polymer framed compact revolver runs about 17 oz. The standard .38 Spl only model is just 13.5 oz, and a .22 8-shot is coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Last I heard the judge takes 410 shells as well right?

Yep, it can take either .45 LC or 410 shotgun shells. The model I used in this video has a 3" cylinder, so you can fire standard length or 3" magnum .410 shells. Just an FYI, do NOT use those "self defense" .410 shells with discs and stuff inside them. The barrel on a Judge is rifled, and I had a guy at a gun store tell me that he saw one blow apart when somebody tried to fire one of those non-standard .410 shells through it. Regular buckshot will travel just fine, but something about those discs and stuff in the self defense rounds caught on the rifling and caused an excess of pressure.

Another problem with The Judge stems from its ability to shoot shotgun shells; in at least one state (California) it's considered a sawed-off shotgun under state law and is thus illegal. Not so under Federal law though. Outstate owners of it, MIL Thunder 5, S&W Governor, T/C Contender (interchangeable barrel single shot, including shotshell calibers) and similarly chambered .45/.410 handguns beware of transporting them to or through there.

Another problem with The Judge stems from its ability to shoot shotgun shells; in at least one state (California) it's considered a sawed-off shotgun under state law and is thus illegal. Not so under Federal law though. Outstate owners of it, MIL Thunder 5, S&W Governor, T/C Contender (interchangeable barrel single shot, including shotshell calibers) and similarly chambered .45/.410 handguns beware of transporting them to or through there.

Yeah but that's because they're a communist country.

• Like 2