Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:35

What's wrong with eating horse meat?

the french do it. reason #1.

#18 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• 6,532 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 14:31

Both are domesticated farm animals. I really don't get how killing someone's horse isn't already just as actionable a crime as killing someone's cow. It's a serious crime over here...

is it really that hard to understand? People were killing horses that were used for riding.
Florida is a huge state for throughbreds. Some of them can be worth A LOT of money.

#19 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 02 December 2012 - 15:30

is it really that hard to understand? People were killing horses that were used for riding.
Florida is a huge state for throughbreds. Some of them can be worth A LOT of money.

How is an animal "used for riding" worth more than an animal "used for human consumption" of any sort?

Any difference I can make out is that the holder had different purposes, but that really shouldn't be deciding whether killing an animal without the consent of the holder is appropriate or not.

Glassed Silver:mac

#20 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,323 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 02 December 2012 - 15:55

In before PETA.

#21 slumdogtrillionaire

slumdogtrillionaire

Neowinian

• 247 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 16:12

:laugh:

Was there a reason for making horse meat illegal?

EDIT: Ah, thank you, episode!

Ok, well that's understandable to a degree. But if he owns the horse then it's his choice what to do with it, isn't it?

to each his own but ownership rights of a living creature shouldnt include killing it or harming it.imho.

#22 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,323 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 02 December 2012 - 16:19

to each his own but ownership rights of a living creature shouldnt include killing it or harming it.imho.

Yet people have no problem killing plants and eat their offspring.

They have feelings, too!

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,233 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 16:22

So we should just kill other peoples animals for food then ?

#24 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 17:11

So the difference is that horses can be expensive. That makes all the difference. :s

#25 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,841 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 17:41

What's wrong with eating horse meat?

You may as well ask the same thing about cat or dog.

#26 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,444 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 02 December 2012 - 17:50

If the killing of riding horses is the issue then you go after people killing riding horses - you don't ban the human consumption of horse meat. That would be like banning cars because they can be used in bank robberies.

#27 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,841 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 18:02

^ Don't forget vehicular homicide.

#28 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 10,909 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 18:08

What about cows, lambs, sheep, fish...I appreciate if you don't eat them for the same reason, but if you do eat them then what is the difference between them and a horse that was bred for eating?

You may as well ask the same thing about cat or dog.

I couldn't/wouldn't eat them myself because in the west we've turned them in to pets rather than food. But I can agree with your point.

#29 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,841 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 18:28

I couldn't/wouldn't eat them myself because in the west we've turned them in to pets rather than food. But I can agree with your point.

I couldn't eat a horse either, because I have a strong empathy for most animals, and my love of horses falls into the pet zone. :wub:

With all the deer, chicken, fish, turkey, cow meat, etc. we have we certainly don't need horse meat.

I don't go as far as PETA, but I can see that the animals raised for food, could be treated a lot more humanely.

#30 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 10,909 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 18:33

I couldn't eat a horse either, because I have a strong empathy for most animals, and my love of horses falls into the pet zone. :wub:

True, horses have been turned in to pets in the same way as dogs, cats and rabbits (to name but a few). However, in Europe a horse can be a pet or a meal, depending on where you go. In Switzerland it's quite popular to have horse as a meal, the same with rabbit. Now, I've owned rabbits as pets and because of that I could not eat one - likewise on the dog and cat front - but as I have never owned a horse I can't say that I have the same opinion of them when thinking about a meal. C'est la vie, cultural differences will apply different thinking to the same creature.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!