Man poisoned by wife says he still loves her, but ...

LAKE WALES, FL - The man deputies say was poisoned by his own wife says he still loves her, but says she's never welcomed back to their Lake Wales home.

The Polk County Sheriff's Office says on Thursday, Beth Richards secretly slid crushed up anti-depressants into a tuna fish sandwich that she made for her husband, Greg.

"I think she went over the edge maybe," he said outside of his home on Friday. "I don't know."

Authorities are calling it attempted murder.

"It shocks us that this is cold, calculated, and premeditated," said Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd. "He started eating his tuna fish sandwich and noticed it kind of had a aspirin after taste so he only ate about half of it.

"His wife texted him throughout the day and asked him, 'hey, have you ate your tuna fish sandwich?'" He said.

By the time Greg returned to work, Sheriff Judd said he became dizzy and nauseous. He eventually passed out while working up on a ladder.

Greg was rushed to the Lake Wales Medical Center where he received treatment for an overdose of the anti-depressant Trazodone.

He told ABC Action News he has fully recovered.

"Just to let you know, I still do love her," he said. "If she needs mental care or whatever I hope she gets it. But she's never welcomed back here again."

Deputies arrested Beth after they say she started to brag to her step sister about what she had done.

"When you get married, it's for better or worse and he sure got the worse end of that deal," Sheriff Judd said.

Investigators say Beth, a carrier for the U.S. Postal Service, confessed to trying to poison her husband, but wouldn't say why.

The sheriff's office learned that Greg does have a life insurance policy worth 250-thousand dollars, or more if he's injured on the job. But the motive is still unclear.

The Richards have been married for 13 years and have a 13-year-old child. Greg says the marriage is over.

"There will never be a family again," he said.

source

I was prescribed Trazodone to help me sleep a few years back, took it every night for a few months, then decided to stop taking it and couldn't sleep for about 5 nights

After 13 years? Did he beat her or mentally/sexually harass her for him to deserve this? How does his wife think she can get away from being a prime suspect in all this?

Nothing more than wife being plain dumb.

I seriously question the point of marriage these days, Honestly who can you trust? lol

It's not trust I have a problem with, it's that marriage in itself, is not longer a necessity of our society. It used to be to gain land and other provisions. But now, all it does is give you benefits from the government, that really, any couple should be entitled to. Just because you went through some ceremony and have a piece of paper that says you said "I Do", shouldn't give you any special treatment over those couples who do not want to go through that useless tradition anymore.

Marriage doesn't make your bond any stronger. It doesn't bring anything other than government benefits at this day of age.

I think in a certain sense it does, because if you weren't bound in some way it seems more people would be likely to give up easier. If you could just walk out and not have to go through the whole divorce process, splitting assets and other things that require some type of bond with a marriage people wouldn't be as likely to try and work through it. I suppose it depends on the type of person however.

• Like 4

I was prescribed Trazodone to help me sleep a few years back, took it every night for a few months, then decided to stop taking it and couldn't sleep for about 5 nights

Yeah, you have to wean yourself off that stuff. I had a back injury in 2006 and was on a strong muscle relaxer, a painkiller, and Valium (for slight nerve damage/irritation) all at once for like a month. Being at the time completely out of it and not able to think striaght (and in hindsight, an idiot), I just finished the bottles and then abruptly stopped taking them when they ran out. Oh, my god. Sweating, shaking, unable to sleep, weird sparkly things in my vision, the works. Took a day and a half of this to realise I was detoxing, badly.

tl;dr;offtopic anyway O_O

Yeah, that lady clearly needs help, or... something?

• Like 2

Yeah, you have to wean yourself off that stuff. I had a back injury in 2006 and was on a strong muscle relaxer, a painkiller, and Valium (for slight nerve damage/irritation) all at once for like a month. Being at the time completely out of it and not able to think striaght (and in hindsight, an idiot), I just finished the bottles and then abruptly stopped taking them when they ran out. Oh, my god. Sweating, shaking, unable to sleep, weird sparkly things in my vision, the works. Took a day and a half of this to realise I was detoxing, badly.

Yea I realised after the event too, I've been back to the docs for sleeping problems since and was offered it again, this time refused them, been given Amitriptyline instead which seem to work fine and have the added bonus of being much less bothered about stupid stuff that would normally annoy me (Maybe due to sleeping better too :) )

I think in a certain sense it does, because if you weren't bound in some way it seems more people would be likely to give up easier. If you could just walk out and not have to go through the whole divorce process, splitting assets and other things that require some type of bond with a marriage people wouldn't be as likely to try and work through it. I suppose it depends on the type of person however.

So greed or making something troublesome is a way to secure it? You have some warped views. Love isn't something you should ever feel "trapped" into.

So greed or making something troublesome is a way to secure it? You have some warped views. Love isn't something you should ever feel "trapped" into.

Actually I don't have warped views, I expressed an opinion and said I think in a certain sense it is still valid.

Maybe you're the one with warped views? In the eyes of many you no doubt are. Just because someone has an opinion different than yours or states theirs doesn't mean they have warped views.

This is a case of a warped woman looking to cash in on greed. today a Kansas City chief LB killed his GF then killed himself.

People are WAAY out of hand. one thing is for certain, his wife won't ever see a dime of the insurance money HAHAHAHA. Some folks are stupid these days....

I'd bet she has another man on the side... she wouldn't say why she did it? I'd venture to say another man is involved and she planned to cash out and leave. Women are like monkeys; they don't let go of one branch before they have a hold of another.. :D

It's not trust I have a problem with, it's that marriage in itself, is not longer a necessity of our society. It used to be to gain land and other provisions. But now, all it does is give you benefits from the government, that really, any couple should be entitled to. Just because you went through some ceremony and have a piece of paper that says you said "I Do", shouldn't give you any special treatment over those couples who do not want to go through that useless tradition anymore.

Marriage doesn't make your bond any stronger. It doesn't bring anything other than government benefits at this day of age.

I half agree with you. I think that the question of Marriage should be completely taken out of government, where Marriage has no bearing on entitlements, the only thing that should matter as far as assessing tax/benefits is a "single income unit", whether that is Husband & Wife, De facto, two friends, a man with 3 wives, three women, a gay couple, whatever. As long as they are pooling their money together that is all which really matters.

Marriage should still be there on a civil level however, if people want to get married in their own beliefs, to make them feel good, keep traditions, or whatever, that is up to them. They can find whichever celebrant they want (JoP, Rabbi, Priest) and whether the celebrant will agree to do the ceremony with them i between them and the celebrant, and between the celebrant and organisation he belongs to if he belongs to one (eg: Catholic Church), nothing to do with Government, but people are still free to get married on a traditional level without special government treatment based on the marriage itself unless the couple also decide to join income units as well.

Well that's what it means to you anyway. It means a lot more than that to me. In my country if I'm defacto, I get the same benefits, so that blows that theory out of the water.