• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 6/Nexus 5

Posted 01 December 2012 - 21:06

The looks of anything is highly subjective - one person may like it, while another may hate the same exact product. I personally like the One X, very underrated. I personally think all of Samsung's lineup is overrated, including the highly popular GS2/GS3 (I own a Galaxy Nexus). The build quality on Samsung phones just doesn't feel like a premium phone. At least HTC phones have a premium quality/feel. On top of that, the software experience on Samsung phones (aka Touchwiz) just doesn't do it for me, I much prefer Sense over it. However, now with ICS/JB, I'm all for the stock Android experience, and just dislike Sense/Touchwiz/Blur/etc. If I had to get a non-Nexus device, it would definitely by the HTC One X or Droid DNA.

#17 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

in linux i trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 01 December 2012 - 22:37

congrats to your phone. i always prefered htc over samsung anyway, starting with the better build quality and as you plan to root it, maybe unlocking the bootloader as well, on xda developers are MUCH more custom roms for HTC devices than for the samsung ones. (bigger community i guess)

#18 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 December 2012 - 00:27

Completely agree with you OP. The SGS3 just has the marketing edge which has made it more popular. I find it inferior to the One X as well. I recall the day the SGS3 was launched. The One X had already been launched and was quite impressive, but my last two phones were Samsung phones, and I was sure the SGS3 was going to amaze. As I watched the unveiling live, my opinion entirely changed. The SGS3 is very gimmicky, feels cheap, and I cannot stand pentile screens. The One X is a far better built phone, it's screen is incredible and blows away the SGS3's. If you're talking international version, I'd take the Exynos over the Tegra, because I still think Samsung builds the best processors, but when you're talking the US version, they are simply the same. The 2GB of RAM in the SGS3 is mostly pointless on a current Android phone unless you plan on keeping it for a long time or are a VERY heavy multitasker. 1GB is plenty for Android right now, and I'll have upgraded before 2GB is actually needed, so that one slightly better spec isn't really a big deal.

That said, it of course comes down to what fits you best. For some people a removable battery and SD card are the most important thing in the world and a deal breaker without it. For me, the removable battery isn't necessary because the One X lasts 24 hours pretty easily, and I don't even really need that much battery since I'm rarely more than a couple of hours from a charger. As for the SD card, the majority of my space on my previous phones was used for music. Now that I use Spotify, I've never once had an issue with space on the phone. Sure, the One X+ with more memory is nice to make up for that lack of SD card, but that's never been a big deal to me.

So, the way I see it, the removable battery, SD card, and 2 GB of RAM are about all the SGS3 has over the One X, meanwhile the One X is far better built, has a better screen, better camera. In reality it's hard to find too much difference between the two, so it comes down to mostly opinion, but in my opinion the One X is better where it matters. The SGS3 is just overhyped as Samsung becomes the Apple of the Android world.

#19 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 02 December 2012 - 18:18

I am a Galaxy S3 owner and have to agree with the OP that the One X is a GORGEOUS phone. Definitely the best looking Android device on the market. I REALLY wanted it, but as AJ pointed out, the S3 had more options that I wanted.

#20 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:24

I recently joined Android-land too. I started with the S3 but ended up with the Nexus 4 phone followed by the Nexus 7 tablet. The Google devices are attractive to me because of the unaltered Android OS plus always the latest Android. I loved my S3 but it still didn't have 4.2 when I gave it up. Still though, Android has come a long way and I think this coming year it will really take a big chunk out of iOS unless Apple has some huge secrets in store, like an overhaul of iOS.

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:31

Is everyone moving to Android?

#22 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:46

Is everyone moving to Android?

Posted Image

#23 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:50

HTC One X? The phone Android needed??? Seriously?

It is a great phone of course, but let's not blow this out of proportion.

And yes you can cherry pick reviews to support your view.

#24 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 04 December 2012 - 20:15

Welcome to Android, I'm a new convert as well. The only thing i disagree on in your OP is this is the phone they needed. Google needed and was VERY smart in their pricing and marketing of their new Nexus line. So much so, that a long time iOS device user like me pretty much ditched iOS and fully bought into Android. I now have each flavor of Google Nexus device: The 4,7, and 10 all in the highest memory capacity available. The hardware is first rate and for the first time, the OS runs at a respectable speed and manufacturers are offering good hardware. I came really close to keeping the Samsung Galaxy S3 but liked the Nexus better because of the vanilla Android experience and latest version of Android.

I'm am not familiar with the HTC offerings but I am very glad to have switched and also very glad to see Google's OS taking a step in the right direction.