Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

CPU Usage

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Maybe I'm just paranoid. But, when I play Minecraft, I get pretty good FPS, but later on, I start getting freezes or very slow, just like a second or two, then gameplay returns to normal. When this happens, one of my CPU cores hits 100% for a few seconds. I have System Monitor on Ubuntu to see if my assumptions were correct. As so they were, that my CPU was hitting the top of its range.

Now, I know that most games these days use more GPU than CPU power. But this game runs off Java, which I think is more CPU intensive.

I have an i3 2100 and a Radeon HD6870. I think the CPU would be the bottleneck here, no?

So if a higher CPU would help, I would get like an i5 3570 or something. I also would get a board with that. Get a full ATX so I could fit my 5770 in there as well, not xfired.

Posted

Download ProcssorMonior

Let the processor run at 100% for some seconds

Tools>Process Activity Summary

See which task or program is causing it

Posted

hahaha dude you don't need a better CPU, not for Minecraft. If it only lasts a split second or so, it's a minor thing, could be so many causes, just ignore it.

Posted

So I'm just paranoid, thanks a lot. :p

Posted

Java...

Oh you! :/

Posted

OpenJava any better? :rofl:

Posted

Sorry to jump this.

Would Java perform better if it had more CPU headroom? I saw Java was eating up my CPU.

Posted

Anyone? *rings bell* :&:

Posted

The limiting factor for Java is usually CPU. It doesn't matter so much which edition of Java it is, they all run relatively poorly. That said, a faster CPU would definitely help. Some Java applications that are really computationally intensive can be written to take advantage of multiple cores, but not all do. Its up to the developer. Java programs that need better performance are often rewritten, either in whole or in part, in C++. Last time I checked, Minecraft server could use multiple cores but not the client.

Posted

Yes, the problem is that this CPU is still not powerful enough to smoothly run Minecraft (as said before, Java is more CPU dependant). Without buying a new CPU, you can still improve performance with this mod Optifine: http://www.minecraft...-and-much-more/

Posted

I am using Optifine. And I still get crappy FPS. Even when I turn everything down. it still underperforms. And Optifine allows you to run on multiple cores.

If I do get a new CPU, it will be after new years. Maybe even into February if I can pay off most of my PayPal BillMeLater account by then. (xmas presents) If I get a new CPU, I would almost like a new board. As the ASUS P8H67-M PRO is good, but if I ever want to overclock, I won't be able to it well with H67. Also would like to fit 2x GFX cards in there, currently can't because the bottom pci-e slot is overlapping front panel and usb connectors.

And I've been looking at motherboard/CPU bundles on Newegg.

This looks pretty good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1141015

Posted

you don't need to change the cpu. the problem is the game itself, minecraft is done in java, so and how it implements certain aspects like garbage collection or some other things,that's why could see a spike in the processor usage.

Posted

I'd worry about CPU over-heating.

Is your thermal paste and heatsink fan good ?

I'd open the case and blow air in with a floor fan.

If this stops the 'freezes' then you have a cooling problem.

Posted

you don't need to change the cpu. the problem is the game itself, minecraft is done in java, so and how it implements certain aspects like garbage collection or some other things,that's why could see a spike in the processor usage.

So, changing it won't make any difference, yet I have friends who play it no problems and have more powerful ones than me? :huh:

I'd worry about CPU over-heating.

Is your thermal paste and heatsink fan good ?

I'd open the case and blow air in with a floor fan.

If this stops the 'freezes' then you have a cooling problem.

This is what I get, between normal, and after playing a few minutes of Minecraft

david@david-ubuntu:~$ sensors

coretemp-isa-0000

Adapter: ISA adapter

Physical id 0: +30.0

Posted

The i3 isn't a bad CPU, I'd suggest the problem is a badly coded game rather than your rig.

1 person likes this

Posted

The i3 isn't a bad CPU, I'd suggest the problem is a badly coded game rather than your rig.

And yet, I never had a problem with my i5 760.

I'm not saying it is bad. I am just saying that all its resources are being taken up by Java.

Posted

With a more powerful CPU you are of course going to get better playability, that's pretty obvious. But no Java game should be sending a dual core CPU that's perfectly capable of handling most AAA titles haywire.

Posted

Tell that to Mojang...

Posted

I doubt i'd be listened to xD I solve that problem by not playing minecraft :)

Posted

If I had to stop playing minecraft, I'd be very very bored. As it lets you expand your mind.

Posted

Of course, I was only making a silly joke :)

Posted

Of course, this is worse case scenario.

Posted

I think that Mojang is trying to push us to buy faster processors. They must be getting some kind of kickback from Intel and/or AMD. Its a conspiracy! :shiftyninja:

On a serious note, Minecraft runs decently on my Q6600, only spiking a core occasionally.

Posted

Isn't the Q6600 beefier than the i3 2100? Well, other than being a quad core...

Posted

The Q6600 may be more powerful than the i3-2100, but I'm not quite sure. Its an older CPU at this point - the first quad core desktop processor that Intel sold. Considering that for single-threaded processes a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Quad shouldn't run any faster than a contemporary 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, its also quite possible that your 3.1 GHz i3 outperforms it with single-threaded programs; the Q6600 just has more cores to work with.

Edit: Here is a comparison of the two processors from AnandTech. It looks like for almost, but not quite, everything the i3-2100 is faster than the Q6600. That's what I suspected.